“Fantastic location in the center of Amsterdam”

Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
Ranked #84 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I stayed at the Renaissance for three days in August and really loved the place. The location was marvellous - walking distance to everywhere - yet tucked away in a lovely, quiet road, away from the hustle and bustle of the main tourist areas. I travelled with my mother and sister and we had two lovely rooms, close to each other on the same floor. Our rooms were like a little slice of heaven, from the super comfortable beds to the marvellous air conditioning - a lifesaver in the mega temperatures experienced by Amsterdam this summer. Hottest since 1974, according to the locals. The people working at the front desk were lovely and we were very pleased with the checking in and checking out experience.

My only niggle with the place, was the service, or lack of it, which we received at the hotel Mediterranean restaurant. We decided to eat there on our second night because we were exhausted from walking the streets all day sightseeing and wanted to have a quick bite without going too far away. The place was almost empty, yet it took forever to get our meals (which were also quite mediocre). In addition, we ordered the cocktail of the day - a Pina Colada - and it was probably the worst Pina Colada we had ever tasted. And appeared to have no alcohol in it to boot. When we complained, the waiter asked if we had wanted it with alcohol, which was about the stupidest remark I ever heard. The final insult was when we asked for one slice of lemon tart for dessert, to share, and it still hadn't arrived after twenty five minutes. So we cancelled it and the waiter said "Oh, but it's here", although it clearly wasn't. The meal was also quite expensive and really wasn't worth it. So I have dropped my rating of the place from five stars to fours stars for the experience at the restaurant.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again, but just wouldn't eat at the restaurant!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,489)

Reviewed 30 August 2012

My husband and I recently spent 5 nights at the Renaissance Amsterdam. We booked through Expedia and got a great rate (much better than that offered if we booked through Holland America!). The location is perfect....close to everything, but in a quiet tucked away corner. The customer service was OUTSTANDING. I can`t say enough good things about the concierge, front desk staff and restaurant staff. Even the cleaning staff were very welcoming and friendly. . We arrived several hours before check in, were welcomed by the front desk staff and our luggage was whisked away by the concierge. We were offered coffee and snacks in the lounge, given maps and information, and we purchased tickets for a canal cruise from the concierge. The front desk staff advised us that our room would be ready by noon (still hours earlier than check in), and it was. When we returned to the hotel after our canal cruise, the concierge arranged for our bags to be delivered to our room.
We found our way to our room (on the 3rd floor, an inner room with a corner window looking down at the roof and inner courtyard area. Not an inspiring view, but with plenty of light. We actually appreciated the location of the room because it was very quiet at night, compared to the rooms on the street facing the canal.
The room was spotless, beautifully decorated and the bathroom was equipped with high end taps and faucets. The bed was comfortable and had more pillows that 2 people could possibly use. The air conditioning was very much appreciated, as we arrived in the middle of a heat wave. Unlike so many other hotels we have stayed in, the air conditioning was COMPLETELY quiet.
In the morning hours the lobby offers free tea and coffee....including lattes. We made good use of this option and took lattes back to our room every morning.
Breakfast is very expensive, and not really worth it when there are so many restaurants and bakeries nearby. But the small cafe attached to the Renaissance opens at 11:00 a.m. and has reasonably priced, good food. It`s also a GREAT place to grab a latte or iced tea and engage in some serious people watching.
I don`t care about a charge for internet access....I`m on vacation and don`t want or need 24 hour a day internet access. There are plenty of places close-by that offer free internet and wifi. I did access the hotel internet twice on their hourly plan just because I was too lazy to go outside. It was a non-issue for me.
The location was perfect, with canals, shopping, restaurants, attractions and public transportation within a city block.
We definitely will be returning to this hotel. The service provided from every staff member was outstanding and made us feel truly appreciated as customers. We were sad to leave and are planning our return trip already.

Room Tip: Inside rooms are quieter, but lack a view. We were there to sleep.....if we wanted an incredible vi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne E
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My 82 year-old mother & I spent Saturday night at the Renaissance Amsterdam. Holland America had made the reservation. We were very impressed with its quiet location, cleanliness, customer service & beautifully decorated rooms with comfortable beds & a gorgeous bathroom with a heated mirror. The concierge, Ahmed, had tickets in his drawer for the Van Gogh Museum & the tram to get there and back. When we arrived at the museum the line to buy tickets was around the block, but we just waltzed thru the front door without a wait. Another concierge, Ben, recommended a great near-by restaurant for dinner. The included breakfast buffet was extensive and wonderful, even with made-to-order omelets.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

Good hotel in easy to find location less then 10 minute walk from Central Station. I actually stayed here twice for one night each time in July and August while on Business in Europe. First time arriving at 11pm in the evening check in was a bit of a pain due to to many people arriving at the same time and basically only one person at check in working efficiently, the other guy on duty seemed to be flirting with two guys he had just checked in and not bothering about the queue. Second time at check in was smooth, in fact I arrived early at 11am and they had a room ready for me. Rooms are a standard size(small) for Europe with well appointed furniture and bathroom fittings.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Had a 2 day stay here. Room and lobby clean and compact. Breakfast was very good. Felt let down by the abrupt manner of some of the reception staff and a concierge who gave bad advice. Clearly a people issue here. Renaissance could do a lot better with their staff. About right for the money paid but not fantastic value.

Room Tip: Pick a high floor
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I was at this hotel last week with my family. I was able to get a "reasonable rate" for this "five star" hotel in the center of Amsterdam for three nights on day-of arrival, so it was a pretty easy pick.

As advertised the location was great, in the middle of everything. A quick bike rental around the corner made everything in and around Amsterdam very accessible.

With the two kids, and the limited time, the central location helped us to see everything we needed, we even made frequent trips to Vondlepark (on our bikes) where they have 6 playgrounds, including a "water play area" which the kids loved.

Above and beyond the location, the staff were incredibly professional, and warm and welcoming - probably some of the best I've ever seen, seriously.

The hotel itself was very nice, modern, sleek. It had a very plush bar/restaurant where we enjoyed a few drinks.

On the downside, I say that the hotel is "reasonably priced" because they "lure you in" with a decent rate, but "nickel and dime" and at times "price gouge" you for everything:

Internet: 20 Euros wireless/wired, no free access in the common areas (serious disappointment)
Taxes: 5% city tax above the rate they quoted (it was noted in the small print)
Parking: 50 Euros per night (nearly half our hotel rate!)

*HUGE TIP IF YOU'RE DRIVING* at 50 Euros a night I was having none of it. I found out that there was a park-and-ride car park (Piarcoplein) which was at the train station only one stop away! It only cost 8 Euros per day AND the car park gives you a free round trip ticket (for as many passengers as we had) to and from the city on the train - TOTAL DEAL.

Bottom line, the hotel is nice as can be expected in this price category, in the city, in a central location - but be prepared to be "nickel and dime'd" for just about everything else!

1  Thank Shane W
Reviewed 26 August 2012

On a quick business trip this hotel was simply perfect.

Amazing, central location - hotel was fresh and modern with simple and elegant interiors.

Comfortable beds and great bathrooms.

Would definitely recommend.