“Good City Centre location”

Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
Ranked #83 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Everything you would expect from A Marriott property and a good location a few minutes walk from Centraal Station.
Once again though why no complimentary wi-fi in a hotel of this standing?
Did not use any other of the facilities as only here one night.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed 3 nights here in October 2013 having booked a 'Deluxe' room. We arrived late & were given a room in the main hotel but which was not the type we had booked. After some resistance by the reception staff, we were then given a deluxe room in the 'annex' , an older, linked building across the street. To get there we went up in the main elevator, across a walkway, up some stairs, up in another elevator etc - we were miles away from the main reception/lounge area and it felt as if we we in another hotel entirely. But, apart from the strange journey to the room, it seemed OK and was nicely furnished and decorated, so we went to bed.

Just after midnight loud music started up in the street below from late- night bars, that went on until about 4am, only to be replaced an hour later by refuse lorries emptying huge bins. At 7am, hammering and drilling started up from below. We later found out we were immediately above an empty shop that was being refitted and the room was above one of the red-light streets. the room even had a small bay window (no red light evident !!) but no double glazing to keep out noise. Not what we were expecting at all when we booked this hotel and for the price paid.

We asked to be moved and, to their credit, the hotel made up for a poor first night experience with, a Deluxe room in the main hotel, complementary breakfast and an unexpected supper snack, after we returned very late from a concert at the Ziggo Dome.

This is a nice hotel, the rooms were comfortable and very nicely furnished, but we had to persist with complaining until the assistant manager helpfully sorted things out personally. We were extremely disappointed with the 'annex' experience which ruined one of our three nights stay. Overall we have had better stays in much less salubrious hotels in Amsterdam and my tip to others would be to avoid the 'annex'.

Room Tip: Avoid the annex, especially floors closer to street level
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dawmouse
Hedwig v, Executive Assistant at Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share our experiences in our hotel with us. We would like to offer you our sincere apologies for the various inconveniences you described and encountered. We will definitely use your valuable feedback to further improve our services.
At the same time we are happy that our Assistant Manager was able to sort out things so that you still enjoyed our hotel and your guest room. Thank you again and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Renaissance whenever you plan a next visit to our exciting city. Kind regards,
Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel

Reviewed 20 February 2014

The location is fantastic, just 5 minutes walk across from Central Station and right in the thick of town. The hotel facilities are good, with a decent fitness room and a very well run bar. They've taken time on the interior design to create a smart, stylish, energising environment. I found the staff really efficient and personable too. Maybe it was because I'd booked through a third party, but my room (one of the 900's) seemed to be in a poor relations annex that required much walking and two lifts. When thoroughly lost, I asked one of the Managers, who couldn't find the room either! He said he'd been there for just a month, which indicates how well hideen the 900's are! All round, it's a really good base from which to do business in, or explore Amsterdam. I wouldn't consider it a 5-star hotel by any stretch. But it's a good one, and this was my second stay.

Room Tip: Try to avoid room numbers 900-930. Pokey and a long way from the amenities.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Had a really lovely 3 night stay here in January. Great price for a 5* hotel. 5 minute walk from the train station and very central. Room was very clean, lovely kingsize bed,nice bathroom with good hairdryer! Also has an iron and ironing board, tea/coffee making facilities. Only thing missing was UHT/milk for tea but not a big issue. Would highly recommend this hotel, will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Bamba852013
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a combination business and vacation trip in early February. In general, the hotel was conducive to both aspects of my Trip. My room was quiet (I had a 7th floor room facing the inside of the hotel, vs. a room facing the streets), the staff was friendly, and the location was optimal for my walks to Prisengracht, Centraal Station and Jordaan.

The only snafu I ran into was that I was told that I had free breakfast each night of my stay when I checked in (and even called down the first morning before going to breakfast to confirm), but when I checked out I was informed the free breakfast rate was only available for the last 4 nights of my stay. Had I known that more specifically upon check-in, I would have saved myself the money I spent on my first 3 days, since breakfast was an expensive $28 Euro.

Pros:
- Well located hotel
- Clean rooms with very attentive housekeeping staff
- Robes/slippers in room
- Great water temperature/pressure
- Room safe large enough for laptops
- Good-size gym with variety of equipment
- Good breakfast selection
- Comfortable lobby, bar and brown cafe attached
- Spacious rooms compared to other European hotels
- Comfortable bed
- Room in minifridge for storage

Cons:
- Expensive wifi (not the fastest either)
- Expensive breakfast rates

Room Tip: Get a high room floor, else you'll be awaking to street noise.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank fluff_astrid
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I was here recently for a conference. The hotel is nicely situated a 5 minute walk from Central Station. They have a fitness center, business center and it's a large updated hotel. Their staff was friendly and helpful as well. Some drawbacks, walls are paper thin, be warned. I could hear conversations and TV programs next door and the vacuum on the floor above me (at 8 AM) sounded like it was in my room.

But the most bothersome? Their internet is 20 Euro a day (but fee was waived as part of my conference rate) and their buffet breakfast is 28 Euro. Almost $35 USD? For buffet breakfast!? That was too much for me. If I went back to Amsterdam I don't think I'd return. Those rates aren't reasonable or fair to travelers.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Emily V
HedwigLinden, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Renaissance Amsterdam. We appreciate having you as our guest and for your candid evaluation. We do try to offer comfortable accomodations, a relaxing atmosphere, all at competitve prices. We will use your feedback in an effort to improve our services and offerings.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We spent one night at this hotel in Jan. 2014. We had a bit of trouble finding it at first but after we familiarized ourselves with the area is was easy to find and conveniently located. The room was nice, clean, and quiet. It is a bit pricey but is a nice place to stay if you can afford it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple