“Great Location Memorable Trip”

Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
Ranked #85 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 21 April 2014

If you are debating between the Renaissance and the Marriott, the R would be our choice. Loved the neighborhood and felt safe walking around at night with our 6 1/2 year old. Beds were very comfortable and was pleasantly pleased to see that our condo developer used the same European brand toilets and sinks as the Renaissance. They provide umbrellas and iron/iron board which was not standard when we did a long multi city European visit in 2004-2007. We had club room access which had standard food fare and very generous variety of drinks. This is the 1 st time I have seen a wheat croissant served anywhere in Europe. The nearest ATM is nearby in a supermarket. You will find very few ATMs in this area. If you need cash take advantage of the ABN ATM near your baggage claim area at airport. There are some ATMs that will only take a Chip card vs solely magnetic. Any card in your wallet can be upgraded to a Chip card for free by your bank. Just Ask.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,446)

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We are staying at this hotel as I write this. I've stayed at the Hilton and Crowne Plaza hotels in Amsterdamand they are very good. This hotel is really special. Great location between Central Station and the Jordann neighborhood. Beautiful lobby and bar area. Large rooms. The elite member benefits are outstanding. Employees are very well trained, pleasant and helpful. Very good food. They have a "Navigator" stationed in the lobby until 10pm (22:00) to help you find your way around the city. Only improvement is we would like a bed that is less firm.

Room Tip: I used points and paid a little extra for the top elite benefits. Great deal.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roadtrippp
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Into my 4th stay here and each stay has got better and better, great location and club rooms are spacious and spotless and the beds are fantastic. The staff reacted very positively to some initial minor problems with water noise and could not be more helpful. Whilst the Scossa Restaurant is highly rated with so many restaurants within walking distance I would suggest trying a different place each night for dinner. The morning scrambled eggs in the club room are the best I have tasted for many a year.

Room Tip: Select a high floor, away from the elevators/ice machines and courtyard facing for peace and quiet b...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Eugene1958
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This hotel is in a great position and in easy walking distance from the train station as well as the main city attractions. The rooms are spotless as is the rest of the hotel. We managed to get a deal on the room rate. Didn't pay for breakfast as thought it was quite expensive. There is a wee cafe at the end of the street overlooking the canal which is open from 7.30am and has free wifi! I would stay here again if the price was right. Didn't give this hotel 5 out of 5 as I thought the fact there wasn't free wifi in the bedrooms a bit poor for a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank theandrews031
Reviewed 10 April 2014

There are so many things I loved about this hotel. Let me give an overview:
Stayed here for one night and then moved to a hotel closer to the airport (really stupid decision since the train to the airport leaves frequently and is cheap and fast - no reason to move closer to the airport.). I am a Marriott Gold member, and was using points to stay here free.

Marriott rewards: I got a great upgraded room, access to their concierge lounge, free wifi. The concierge lounge was really nice - breakfast, afternoon tea with small treat selection, appetizers at night with free wine. Drinks (water, soda, juices) available all day, and nice internet connected computer that was free for use. A large space with couches and chairs. The staff in there was a little odd. One of them asked me "What makes Ann Frank so special?" and the other one in the evening shut down the wine early because she had overserved a large party of heavy drinkers and made that problem my problem. When the lounge is not open for breakfast, they let you have their restaurant's breakfast buffet for free (which was really very good).
Front desk/concierge staff: The front desk staff was super friendly. Lots of suggestions for where to go. They can sell you tickets (same price as the museums, tram passes, etc). They stored my luggage all day - no charge. Overall, a great customer service experience.
Room: My room was wonderful. The bed was comfortable, free robe/slippers, nice, large bathroom.
Location: It is a very short walk to/from the train station. It is a little off the beaten path, but a safe area to walk in. You need to look up for the Renaissance signs. It is a short walk to the Anne Frank house in a residential area with canals - very lovely. To get to the Van Gogh museum, you need to ride the trams. The trams are easy to take and run early and late. This whole area is so much nicer than the area around Dam Square. It feels more residential and safer. I can't describe how many times I walked by people in alleys doing drugs in other areas of town.
Restaurants: Good and affordable.

Overall, I will stay here again, and I will gladly pay the going nightly rate. It is clearly worth the money to me. I do agree with one of the other reviewers - it took around 7 days for the preauthorization to drop from my credit card statement. That was odd.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Lisa H
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I'll try to keep it short. This hotel is clean, has a very good location, has polite staff and a breakfast to die for.

However, 10 days after checking out from this hotel I STILL have 233.66 euro being withheld on my credit card and my friend has 229.70 euros on hers, even after the full amount for the room was withdrawn from the third guest's savings account (two days ago). A member of our extended party, in another room, had 1,033.59 euro blocked on her credit card until yesterday. What on earth is this nonsense??

We've emailed and emailed, to the same email address we had made the reservation on, but do you think we've received any replies? Guess again. This isn't 4 star quality.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank rebdebmalta
HedwigLinden, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comment. We are very sorry to learn that you did not like our property and apologize for
any inconvenience you encountered. We invite you to send us an e-mail to renaissance.amsterdam@renaissancehotels.com
with your feedback on what exactly went wrong, so that we will have a chance to investigate and to get back to you in
person.
We thank you for your time and remain,
with best regards
Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel

Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is in a great location. On quite side street yet just 5 minutes walk to heart of Amsterdam. Friendly staff very helpful with ideas and suggestions for sight seeing. If looking for things to do talk to Casper. Petra was so sweet and so helpful getting us checked in early even when we arrived very early. Very clean and well maintained staff was great.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple