“Nice but pricey”

Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
Ranked #80 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Great rooms. Very comfortable. Great location. Great amenities in the hotel. Great service. But not cheap. I was reasonably happy but for the price I should have been absolutely delighted. It was expensive. Good. But I'm not sure it was quite worth the price.

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel

Reviewed 19 July 2014

After flying all night, easily taking the train from the airport to Central Station, it was slightly confusing finding the hotel...even though we had directions. Crossing the street, turning right and then the first left, we needed to just look for the large R on the side of the building. We quickly learned to cut through the alley and also to walk through the Albert H supermarket!

The hotel was great and room/bathrooms were nice. There was a safe and coffee pot in the room. when we arrived at 7:30 am, Michael,at the front des, suggested we go on a canal cruise (in front of central station) and then return for an early check in. All worked out beautifully. In the afternoon, we walked all over Amsterdam and even walked to the Rykesmuseum another day (we like to walk).

We did have access to the lounge. breakfast was very nice and there is beer/wine and appetizers from 5:30-7:30. We were so exhausted the first day, we sat in the lounge a couple of hours, snacking on cheese and crackers, hummas, etc. for a light supper.

We met one of the managers and many other staff over our 3 1/2 days (before and after cruise). Everyone was helpful. There are also a lot of restaurants nearby.

If you are looking for a hotel to walk to from Central Station (with your luggage) this is a great choice. We also took the train to a windmill town, a tram across the street from the cruise terminal and then walked to the hotel from central station, and took the train back to the airport. It was very easy access. We did take a cab to the cruise terminal, but it was a mess due to construction and ended up costing 20 euros. More than what the concierge had estimated.

I must also note that there is work on 1 side street. one morning, there was a lot of noise at 7:30am, but we really needed to get up anyway. If you want to be sure to sleep late, confirm a room that is not along the street side with construction.

We will definitely select this hotel when we return to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: we stayed on the 8th floor and on the 3rd floor. the 3rd floor room was noisier as there is paving...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Why it is so difficult to smile and say hello to the customer?

When I went to the hotel, woman behind the desk did not lift her face, she did not say hello, she just took phone and started to call somebody without saying anything to me. When she said to me “enjoy your stay”. I replied I doubt which was a mistake. She started to act more arrogant. I did not feel that I was welcome to the hotel. I had a long working day and it was already so late so that I could not change the hotel and cancel my reservation. Maybe that’s why she could act like that.

Luckily for me, staff in the room service was friendly. They even called me back and asked how was the hamburger. Never happened before. Guy in the breakfast room was also really friendly. He smiled and said “enjoy the breakfast” when he passed me. Although he was busy with arranging things, he had time to notice customers. When I checked out the woman smiled and she was friendly. Female staff next to her took new customer and her first words were “welcome to the hotel”. It sounded so nice. I told this to the woman who served me. She was so sad that I had so bad experience when I came to the hotel.

Why do you have to pay for Wifi?

I just cannot give poor because of the staff who were so nice and friendly. Based on the first impression, I would give poor.

Smile and friendliness do not cost anything extra but it brings really nice atmosphere. Hopefully the hotel management start to understand importance of those small manners.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
RenaissanceTeam, Assistant Front Office Manager at Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feeback regarding your recent stay with us. We were very sorry indeed that your visit to our property did not turn out as you had expected. We apologize for all inconveniences you encountered. We invite you to send us an e-mail to renaissance.amsterdam@renaissancehotels.com so that we will have a chance to further investigate and get back to you in person.
We thank you for your time and remain, with best regards,
Your Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel Team

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed here again briefly 9th July 2014.
Arrived bit too early, so navigators were happy to store our luggage.
Went into the city and returned around 5pm, where we were booked in quickly and efficiently, by happy friendly staff. Gave us rooms on the same floor, close to each other.
We found the room to be fine for our needs. Large bed, hot shower, tea and coffee, ironing board and large TV.
Big wholesome breakfast as part of the package. Well worth the extra.
Checked out by happy pleasant staff and again left baggage with navigators, who were more than helpful.
Had to return into the city and returned later to collect baggage. No problems,
Highly recommended for business or sightseeing.
Nice hotel in good location and great staff.
People who complain about the size of the room, must be of the "Larger" build as rooms are fine.
People who complained about the hostel close by, need to take a look at themselves!
The hostel is no problem. We passed it several times on previous visits and on the night of the football and had no issues whatsoever.
Enjoy

Room Tip: Due to location all rooms have very limited outlook. Don't expect panoramic views
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The location is perfect for a quick Amsterdam visit. We took the metro from the airport to Amsterdam Central Station then walked 5 to 10 minutes to the hotel - easy. Currently, there is a major street work project on the street in front of the hotel, but it was not a problem since we were walking. We walked to most tourist attractions - a few blocks to a mile or more. Our room had no useful view (just into the side of the next building). The two single bed room was small and clean. Nothing special, just a room. The lobby area is nice and the staff friendly and helpful. Security at the hotel seems good. We had gold status and the executive lounge featured a very good espresso drink machine, breakfast, happy hour, food, beer, and wine which made our visit very enjoyable. This hotel was a good choice for our quick tourist visit. Wifi is not free unless you have gold status.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

There's a clear American influence at work in this hotel. I've not stayed in a Marriott or Renaissance recently and it was noticeable but neither good nor bad.

There are high standards of service. The cleaning lady was particularly helpful when I looked like I needed help (which is often).

The room was very comfortable.

Located a 5 minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal station it's easy to get from Schipol airport and all over the Netherlands. There are all types of restaurants and bars nearby. Being Amsterdam I do mean 'all types'...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

A marriot hotel, I expect only the best. Well situated near the central station and the cruise line docks. Very helpful with directions, some road constructions make it hard to get around. Very well managed. Room needs new rugs. Surprise there is air conditioning. A nice restaurant and great cookies!

• Stayed: July 2014