“Great location, crap service”

Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
Ranked #83 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York City
“Great location, crap service”
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Hotel location was fantasic...walking distance from Centraal Station, but still in a quiet area near one of the canals instead of directly on one of the littered, red light district streets. Room was nice as well...business class with all new fittings and furnishings if a bit small, but not bad for Europe actually. (Hotel generally looked like it completed recent renovations.) Unfortunately, all the positives were outweighted by the poor service.

My 62 year old mother and I attempted to check in at 3 pm and were told that due to late check outs, they were still cleaning rooms. After a full day at Keukenhof directly off our red eye flight, we annoyed. We were told it would be about a 1.5 hours wait. We walked around a little then went back at 4:30 pm and was told it would be 30 minutes more. At 5 pm my mother was falling asleep in the lobby and I was irate. I've never been to a hotel, much less a Marriot, where you couldn't check in by 5 pm. WTF. At this point, offered to go clean a room myself. After a few choice words with a blank-faced, unhelpful, unsympathetic trainee, one of the other, presumably senior, receptionists mysteriously found a room with two twin beds for us. (I believe a general standard room should be two fulls.)

After we got to our rooms I discovered that the slippers and bathrobes that I ordered online days in advance were not in our rooms. Understandable since we apparently got this room last minute and they were still cleaning "our" room, however, it took housekeeping another 45 minutes to get them to us after we called room service. My mother who's never been to the Netherlands before is now under the impression that the Dutch are slow and rendered lazy by their social welfare system...but grows lovely tulips.

• Stayed April 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Honolulu
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Only stayed here one night because of the location and good rate on the internet. You could'nt ask for a nicer stay. A late checkout because I was ill. Very accomodating.

Wales
Reviewed 27 April 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Renaissance for two days last weekend and although we have no major complaints I think we probably expected more from a five star hotel. The hotel is ideally positioned for an easy walk to the station and shops (or the red light district if you are that way inclined!) and when we walked into the foyer for the first time the evidence of an extensive refurb was obvious. The receptionist was extremely courteous but offered no information on breakfast or meal times - information that I have come to expect from other hotels. I later found the details in the hotel directory in our room. I was very disappointed with the size of the room; for a five star it should have been a lot bigger, though it was nicely furnished. Disappointing to discover there was no bath, only a shower, and there were no tea or coffee facilities. The breakfast ws 24.5 Euros for a fully cooked, or 19 Euros for a continental. Given the poor exchange rate of the pound against the dollar I thought this price was extortionate. Needless to say, we ate out - and found a nice cafe nearby offering an excellent fully cooked breakfast, including juice and coffee for 6 Euros. I would have been happy to pay 10-12 Euros in the Renaisance. Similarly, the restaurant prices were exceptionally high - as were the drinks in the lounge. We never saw many people in the restaurant or lounge. I wonder why!! I think this hotel is geared up to the business traveller, though there was a charge for using the internet. This is free in many hotels of a similar standard that I have stayed in. The staff generally were very pleasant and at 110 Euros a night the hotel, taking everything into consideration, was probably value for money. The same cannot be said for the food and drinks.

2 Thank Cardi1
Newport Coast, Ca
Reviewed 23 April 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights just last week. The weather was awesome for two full days we were able to enjoy the city. Everyone at the hotel was very helpful, especially the concierge who were very eager to help and made great recommendations for things to do and dinner.

The executive lounge/club lounge was quite nice. The restaurant served a wonderful breakfast buffet which we enjoyed one day.

The location is just a 5 minute walk from Central station.

The hotel was newly renovated however our room was a bit on the small side, not tiny but not huge either, just a small standard hotel room.

We rented scooters/vespas for two days from HOTEL SCOOTERS and it was awesome. Everyone has a bicycle or a scooter so it's neat to travel around the city the same way the locals do.

I would definitely reccommend this hotel.

1 Thank Socalac83
Texas
Reviewed 20 April 2009

I am a "Platinum" member of Marriott. The "Platinum" perks are what keep me coming back to Marriotts. I typically stay at different Marriott properties about 150-175 nights each year. I know them well. Extremely well. This is why I choose them when I travel for business and leisure. However...

1) At check-in was not "thanked" for being a Platinum member. This is such a small thing to do, yet means so much to me
2) Lady at check-in did not care that I was Platinum after I told her, and didn't even check for an upgrade room after I had to politely ask her to
3) No bottles of water in room for Platinum members. Are not even offered anything free
4) No breakfast coupon for Platinum members staying on the weekend, when the Lounge is closed
5) Lounge has poor food/beverage options
6) Gentleman working the lounge was rude, did not greet any guests, never smiled, walked too fast. I was scared I would get runover by this angry man
7) Same gentleman working the lounge was extremely rude when he asked me to get off the shared computer. He demanded that I get up because others were waiting to use the internet. The others he spoke of were on the other side of the lounge and had not notified me that they were waiting to use the internet. I got up right away. I almost lost my temper to this man, but I did not want to be removed from the hotel so I simply left
8) I went to buy an internet card from the front desk (in-room fee for internet is OUTRAGEOUS). I wanted to buy the cheapest $5 EU / 15 minute card which was out of stock. So the lady wanted me to buy the more expensive card, and did not understand me when I said NO, and that I just wanted to check my email for a few minutes. She looked at me like I was fool
9) BIGGEST PROBLEM -- NEVER ENOUGH BATH TOWELS. Every single day I had to call the front desk for more bath towels. Most days they would remove our old towels and not give us any clean replacements. Other days they would just give us 1 towel. They knew there were 2 of us staying in this room, not just 1. Literally, there was not 1 day where I received enough towels without having to call downstairs.
10) Does this hotel even know what Platinum members are? They seem to do absolutely NOTHING for them
11) Front desk did not know how I could call Germany from the hotel room. The instructions in the room were incorrect and they did not know it was incorrect

All in all this was the WORST Marriott experience I have EVER had. I did not believe this was a Marriott when I left. I love Marriotts, unfortunately I will not be coming back to this one, EVER. I fully expect Marriott to re-imburse a portion of the hard-earned points that I used to stay at this hotel. Worst service ever... Some of the staff are completely inept, others outright rude...

To add further insult, I made it a point for the hotel manager to contact me about my problems during my stay... Guess what, no hotel manager ever contacted me during my stay. In fact, the problems kept getting worse and worse...

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rudy K
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 April 2009

We stayed her for 4 nights in a delux/standard King room reserved on the hotel webiste s the best value then avialable at $187 without breakfeast. For a 3-5* hotel rates then avialable, the rate was good value, particulalry considering the location and the hotel. It was renovated in 7/08. Our room was one of the largest we have stayed in anywhere, well lit, clean, modern, with a good sized bathroom and deep bathstub one has to step into for the bath/shower. Room had a desk/chair and a very comfortable 2nd chair. Service was very efficient. Concierge advise is frienldy and spot on and tickets for the Rijksmusuem and Voan Gogh can be purchased from the concierge and save you considerable time avoiding long lines.. Adjacent spa/fitness center is free. Central location and the clean modern hotel are key here. Hotel is 2 blocks from the central station, 3 blocks from the dam, so transport anywhere is right there. We walked most places-our 3rd trip to Amsterdam in 10 years and this visit was to see the tulips In Keukenhof, an easy 45 minute bus ride fromcentral station-get a combi ticket that includes the fare and admission, and rent a bike outside the gardens. Be sure to make a reservation several weeks in advance to dine at Toscanini in the Joordan-always a treat; and walk the Herengracht and Prisengracht for pretty views and the mansions. Oudenschanz for views is also a nice neighborhood. Haesje Claes, a typical dutch restaurant has good food, friendly service and is a 5 minute walk on the Spui.

3 Thank Bruce B
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 16 April 2009

We checked into another hotel which was unacceptable in every way. We walked past the Renaissance and inquired about checking in. They had a room for us and it was the best move we could have made. The room was beautiful and comfortable but the best thing for us was the location. You are right around the corner from Central Station but felt miles away. It's literally a few steps from the Singel Canal. Restaurants, shops and coffeeshops are right there. It's minutes to walk to many sites. We loved this place.

2 Thank Wen47