“Don't expect to use the telephone”

Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
Ranked #89 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
ktpie81
“Don't expect to use the telephone”
Reviewed 13 July 2009

I've stayed at the Marriot from Monday to Friday every week for the last 6 months. While the hotel is good, the telephone service is totally debilitating.

Incoming evening calls are a total frustration as nobody ever answers the call. This has been ongoing for months and my partner tries 5 times a night before reverting to using his mobile phone.

Outgoing calls are the most expensive I've ever experienced in any hotel. A 4 minute local call is charged at 17euros, a total joke.

Food is also a problem with orders often delivered incorrectly and room service has taken up to 2 hours to deliver a plate of pasta.

At 170 euros per night and having spent so much time here, I can honestly say it's pretty poor value for what they charge.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank ktpie81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Athens
Reviewed 10 July 2009

A very nice hotel, clean , value for money, in the centre of amsterdam , close to the railway station..nice restaurants inside hotel.Top Choice to Stay!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 5 July 2009

I just spent the weekend there with my wife and children (age 3 and 7). The hotel is a story of two tales. In one hand the facilities are nice and everything is new (great job done with the recent renovation). The location is good as well. On the other hand, the service is horrible. Three examples: First, long lines to check in as the hotel is clearly understaffed. There were three positions to check in/check out but only one was open. Second, they told me by phone (their website says the same) that the parking lot is closed due to renovation, however, I saw cars getting in and out. When I asked they told me that I could have parked my car there but at that moment there was no more space. Third, the most shameful of all, when on Saturday 4th in the afternoon I asked to Simone, a lady that seats in the "Delighted to Serve You" office for directions on how to reach my room, she laughed as if I were an idiot, really incredible.
When you're paying top dollars you expect top service in addition to great facilities. In this regard this hotel totally fails... they clearly need to invest more in training their people. Next time I go to Amsterdam I will spend my Euros somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank GlobalExpat
Ohio
Reviewed 16 June 2009

We really enjoyed our stay here. The concierge staff were absolute pros and even made an international call for us to help us with the hotel at our next destination. The bar area was large and quite comfortable. The location is right by the train station which is nice and is close to a tram stop to get to the museums, shopping etc.
The one problem was that the rooms were poorly soundproofed and we were woken up by someone snoring in the next room. Also, the elevators were slow and one night two of them were broken. So I would stay on the second or third floor to account for this. The room service was timely and friendly.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank MaureenEF
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 June 2009

We paid top rate to stay at this beautiful hotel, booking through Holland America after a cruise with them. While reservations had to be made well in advance of our arrival and the hotel had more than sufficient time to prepare, they were totally unprepared and woefully understaffed for our check-in. Passengers (a number of whom were elderly or handicapped) who asked about porters to help bring luggage from the bus were told to bring it inside themselves and help would be available in the lobby. It was not. After standing in line in the very crowded lobby (lovely but not functional for a crowd), moving our luggage along with us, we were all told to see the concierge for help--which meant another wait to try to get that poor, very busy man's attention. Of course, because the concierge was drowning in luggage, there was no one available to help with info about tours, etc. As a result we lost out on opportunities for most of the longer tours we might have liked to book (that other cruisers we ran into who had booked themselves into lower priced lodging nearby were able to get assistance from their hotels in arranging). Hotel restaurants were closed on Sunday. After finding a place for lunch, then being able to check in to a room and waiting an hour, I wound up bringing up our luggage myself because things were still somewhat of a mess downstairs. The hotel itself was beautiful, if pricey when booked the way we did, and the location was wonderful. The assistance that was to be provided by Holland America was neither evident to us during check in nor were the hotel staff we talked to aware of its availability. I am a frequent Marriott customer and am used to getting much better service, even in less lofty surroundings. It seemed to me this place emphasized profit over service.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank traveler0001966
Dauphin, Manitoba
Reviewed 14 June 2009

We recently returned from a European trip which included a cruise out of Rotterdam. The trip was with my 72 year old parents, so we needed a quality, safe hotel in Amsterdam that was in a good location. We selected the Renaissance based on the reviews and a relatively good rate that was available.

My parents loved the hotel, and even said it helped make Amsterdam a much more comfortable place to visit.

The renovation was very well done, so that all the public areas are beautiful and the rooms are top notch. I agree with another poster though that you should avoid getting a room with a number in the 900's, as these are in a separate building on the SECOND floor (not the ninth floor as the number would suggest). Also, it's a long walk with your bags to the room.

A couple of other things to watch out for at this hotel. First, the senior concierge staff are on the take, so to speak, as they have side deals with cabs and will try to make things using public transportation seem very difficult so they can book you a cab or a tour. They had my parents convinced to take a taxi to Rotterdam instead of the train (and a cab once we got there to the cruise terminal). The cost was $150US, but we took the train AND the cab in Rotterdam for 4 people and it only cost $70 Canadian. Needless to say, I wasn't very impressed with this concierge.

The other thing has been mentioned many times. Unless it is included in your hotel rate, and you cannot get a lower rate by rejecting it, do NOT get the included breakfast. It is very, very over priced (although nice) and with the savings per person you can enjoy a nice breakfast at many of the area restaurants (within an easy short walk). Again, this will ensure some significant per day savings.

Overall, this is a quality Marriott property in a good location, within easy walking distance (even with suitcases) from the central train station. By the way, you go out the front of the train station, across the canal and walk to the RIGHT past two main streets with lights. Turn left and walk along that street for about 200 yards, then the road forks, take the right one and you'll see a small Renaissance hotel sign (this is not the front of the hotel, relax!). It is also centrally positioned for public transportation (trams, subway, HOHO etc), as well as being within easy walking distance to Dam square and the famous Red Light District.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Coldcdn
Zug, Switzerland
Reviewed 14 June 2009

Convienently situated next to the main station, shopping, and red lights district. The hotel has all basics a business traveller would need: comfortable bed, an ironing board, a small but sufficient fitness room, a decent kitchen and very attentive, freindly and helpful staff.

Things less rosy: strong foul smell, sometimes even stinking in the rooms and corridors. The room #125 is located next to the ventilation pipe - the room is either stinky (window closed) or noisy (window open) at night.

The cleaning ladies are doing a good job, it is carpeting which is well beyond its term and smells so terribly..

I'm not sure whether I'd recommend thid hotel to a friend - for such quality of rooms it's rather expensive.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business