“Excellent views”

Tulip Inn Amsterdam Riverside
Ranked #268 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 23 June 2012

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights as part of our holiday in Amsterdam. We booked online through a deals website and got at a good rate including breakfast for two. The hotel is very far from the city centre. You have to take the metro to Gasperblas and then walk around 1.5 to 2 KM to reach the hotel. It was terrible to walk that long with luggage.

The rooms are spacious, clean and very comfortable. The hotel is on a river side and the views are fantastic. We could not enjoy much as it was raining and too cold in the evenings. The breakfast was basic, no tea/coffee maker in the room. Overall, the hotel is average and the distance is a big minus

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 June 2012

I recently stayed in this hotel on my recent business trip to Amsterdam, I certainly will not be back. Very robotic unhelpful staff, customer care minus 10. The hotel rooms are very basic with no tea, coffee or hairdryer. There is one free hour internet then you have to pay ridiculous charges, I have been in less expensive places where the internet is free.

On our first night we decided to go into the bar for a drink, we had to eventually make ourselves known even though the bar staff did see us enter. The following night wasn't any better when we went for something to eat. The staff just stood back and watched us take our seats, eventually we had to ask for a menu. The food choice isnt that great and overpriced we didn't eat here again.

As our customer in Amsterdam was paying the hotel bill we had to constantly reiterate this to them, clearly there was no messages relayed to other members on the reception. This issue was rather uncomfortable as we had to constantly explain to them the situation. Eventually on our last night this was sorted out. Efficiency is certainly not this hotels strong point.

I would advise people to look elsewhere this hotel is just awful. Stay away.....

Room Tip: Book elsewhere.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Ok hotel...wouldn't dash back though. Internet free for 1 hour then chargeable. I was asked to pay for my breakfast before I sat down as i hadn't paid for it with room...strange as they let you have a tab at the bar. Didn't eat breakfast in the end as I decided to have a look first and was pretty basic...didn't even have a toaster.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2012

The tulip inn was a good choice in terms of relax and quality. Yes, it's not a brand new hotel but there was a lot to appreciate about it. Breakfast, the relax quality, the staff and also the advantage to be a little away from the crowd. Thanks !

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We spent three nights at the Tulip Inn because we were travelling by car and it was one of the few places we could find around Amsterdam with free parking. The hotel was ok, but our room was in need of a remodel since there were stains in the carpet and the wallpaper had been peeled off in a few spaces. It was clean, just worn. We didn't eat at the hotel since the breakfast was 15 Euro's per person. We ended up eating breakfast at the McDonalds two kilometers away. If you don't have a car, you will need to eat at the hotel or in town as there is nothing within walking distance from the hotel.

The walk to the train station wasn't bad but there is a free lot for cars and also a Park and Ride that cost 8 Euro's a day if you want to cut 10 minutes off your trip to the train station.

We had free parking and one free hour of internet a day. The trains run until 12:30 which was late enough for us. This was an ok place and there is a cute little patio out on the canal, you just have to walk through the restaurant to get there, it was a nice place to have a drink.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I have been there in April while visiting Koikenhof. Advantages: I really liked breakfast, tasty and rich.Fruit salad with melon, mango, orange with sour cream was the best (in the morning tasted perfectly). There were a lot of people there during the breakfast but everyone found the place to seat and enjoy breakfast. Disadvantages : 1) far from the center 2) Price ( for me two nights in Poland in *** hotel cost the same as 1 night in Tulip Inn) 3) It really needs renovation and all that shown on the photos is true. Conclusion: I think that it is possible to find better hotel for the same price

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I was travelling to Amsterdam to take my mother (who's retired) to see the tulips in Keukenhof and some sightseeing in Amsterdam itself. I've been to Amsterdam many times before with my partner and always stayed in the centre - which is great - but can be expensive. As I wasn't planning any big nights out on the town with my Mum I chose this hotel because it was a really good deal which meant I could book 5 nights instead of 3 and so actually see more of Amsterdam than originally planned.

The hotel is friendly, quiet and comfortable. Yes, the rooms are overdue an interiors update (very eighties), but they're spacious with huge en suite bathrooms. Toiletries are sparse so take plenty of your own.

Breakfast was excellent - plenty to choose from and good quality food and drink. The staff are friendly and thankfully understand the hotel's rather odd seating policies. Just go with the flow and you'll be fine.

There's a metro station about 10 minutes walk away and this was brilliant. Plenty of trains, always on time and a 3 or 4 or however many day GVB travel pass is a really cheap way to travel around during your stay as it's good for trams, buses and some boats in town too. The metro goes all the way to Amsterdam Centraal but a good tip is to get off earlier at Weesperplein and catch a tram ( 7 or 11 I think?) to Weteringcircuit which is very handy for a lot of attractions in downtown Amsterdam - the museums, the Heineken thing, boat trips and the brilliant Albert Cuyp market.

Dinner at the hotel is OK once, but don't bother unless you have to. Eat in town before you head back to the hotel. The menu is incredibly limited and the food is very ordinary and slightly overpriced for what you get. The restaurant and bar area is perfectly pleasant but rather devoid of atmosphere - fine for a quick nightcap but otherwise a tad dull.

Overall, this was a good choice. But we were lucky weather-wise so the walk to and from the metro station twice a day was no problem and it was still light later on. I wouldn't be so happy about it in cold or wet weather so it may be best not to stay here in autumn or winter. I'd recommend it for older people or families with children but not anyone who's planning to party late as a taxi from the centre to this hotel will set you back about €50!

Depending on your needs this can be a good option, but look up the location and have a good think about it first. It suited my needs for this particular trip and so was a good choice.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are better becuase those at the front overlook a busy road.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family