“Great location - Avoid room 108”

Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw
Ranked #158 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Walked in off street having messed up a booking at another hotel and was relieved when we were told they had two rooms - last two rooms in hotel.... My teenagers' twin room was comfortable clean and had a great view over Damrak street (305). Essential to my teenagers was that the hotel had free wi-fi.
We on the other-hand were allocated room108...avoid at all costs. It was extremely small, dark and looked out onto a brick wall - ie no view. You could also hear the noise from downstairs - dread to think what would have been like in the evening. Its only redeeming feature was that it was spotlessly clean.
I returned to reception and was up-graded to another room (502)....Was given a reduced rate. This was much better although had to be reached by a narrow staircase as the lift did not go up to it. Again room was clean and well equipped although the immediate view was of a flat roof with the air conditioning system with roof tops in distance. Disappointing.
All the staff we dealt with in the hotel were friendly and helpful. We were able to book tickets for attractions from reception, the Van Gogh exhibition being almost immediately opposite the hotel. Hotel was ideally located to soak in the atmosphere of Amsterdam.
We made the mistake of driving into central Amsterdam and succeeded in missing the turning into the public car-park which is almost opposite the hotel which resulted driving around the block which took nearly 1/2 hour - we were reliant on a sat-nav. Would avoid driving in central Amsterdam due to number of bicycles and pedestrians.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 108. Ask for room overlooking Damrak street.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

If you are looking for a room with a view our property is not the ideal one. In fact, several rooms do not have much of it. I was happy to learn that my staff reacted to your complaint about room 108 by giving you another room without any surcharge.
I was pleased to learn that they assisted you and booked the excursions for you so that you didi not have to queue up at the attractions.
Parking is not easy in the centre of Amsterdam. Although there is a big parking in front of the hotel, we can offer much cheaper options in the immediate surroundings. Next time contact our Front-Office staff in advance so that they can tell you how to park against a low rate within walking distance.
We hope to welcome you again
Wioth best regards
Rene Wildeman, General Manager

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Such beautiful people manage this hotel: always friendly, courteous , attentive, warm, I barely ever felt I was speaking to hotel personnel. I am very thankful to have been upgraded, the corner suit (202) was splendid with three large windows, including two small balconies, facing Damrak & Dam Square, I couldn't have wished for a better room! The location was most convenient, it can't be more central than this, everything was within walking distance for me & I reached all the museums, galleries & sites of interest by foot... The food at the restaurant was delicious, presentation good & service immaculate. I've had amazing trip to Amsterdam & every night I was looking forward returning to my beautiful room, seeing welcoming smiles of guys or girls at the front desk. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, especially for first time visit to Amsterdam, & would definitely want to come back any time!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

We were happy to contribute to the success of your first trip to Amsterdam. The room you occupied is one of our best rooms as it overlooks both Damrak and Dam Square. Indeed, I am also proud of my Front-Office team who succeeds in making the stay of our guests so often an enjoyable one.
We look forward to your next visit
Yours sincerely
René R.F. Wildeman, General Manager

Reviewed 19 August 2013

This Hotel is perfectly located at the Dam Square, in the heart of Amsterdam City. In simple words...the Hotel is perfectly located down the Damrak street in front of Dam square. Less than 10 minutes walking from Amsterdam Central Station and surrounded by everything you might need (restaurants, supermarkets, coffee-shops, souvenir shops, etc...).

The Hotel is very well furnished, staff are very friendly and professional. We were offered (from my point of view) one of the best rooms in the hotel, very spacious, clean and neat, with a wide balcony and facing the street. Noise is never a problem as my wife and I had good sleeps every night....I would always request to be checked in that same room every time i visit Amsterdam.

The hotel is zero minutes walking from the Dam Square and Madame Tussaud's museum, 5 minutes walking to the red light district, 10 minutes to Amsterdam Central Station, first stop for the Hop-on Hop-off bus, Amsterdam Dungeon and other surrounding attractions, 15 minutes walking till Rembrandtplein and other hotspots.....

We checked in for three nights, left to Spain, then came back for one more night where they gave us a different room on the first floor as well. Although that room had no balcony, and no street view, yet the room was very spacious, well furnished and we loved it.

I would definitely and highly recommend this Hotel to anyone travelling to Amsterdam. Its value for money is unbeatable and we felt we paid each cent in place. for me personally, I would love to stay in this hotel every time I visit the city.

Finally, I would like to personally recognize and thank Mr. Aart Van Der Sluis who took care of everything in a professional manner and made our stay and experience unforgettable. I didn't have the chance to meet him in person, but would love to invite him for dinner at my next stay at Hotel Amsterdam De Roode Leeuw.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Damrak Street
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Frontline people in a hotel are important but also the staff working behind the scenes and I appreciate that you mentioned our "invisible" Revenue Manager, Aart, who is not only trying to give the hotel a good revenue but also to make sure that our guests get value for their money.
With our 79 rooms we are a relatively small property and that gives us the possibility to take care of our guests within our limits (some small rooms). We hope that we can welcome you soon again and make sure that Aart will come out of the office to meet you.
Looking forward to seeing you again
With best regards
Rene R.F. Wildeman, General Manager

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I stayed in the hotel for 4 worse nughts in my life that I ever faced staff of a hotel like this unhelpfull and unfriendly moreiver they did not respect their customers and even the manager called Lozem. Further more they charge 15euro per person for the break fast buffet which is worth nothing only cheese and eggs. I surprised when I saw a certificate from your website given to this bad hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

This is the first customer review out of 496 complaining about our much praised Front-Office staff (see previous reviews). I use to take reviews very seriously and aplogize when we did not meet the expectations of our guests. In this case I will NOT apologize. In fact my staff had informed me already about the problems encountered when asking you for a deposit and your rude and disrespectufl behaviour with both Housekeeping as Front-office staff. Our staff treats customers with respect and politness and expects to be treated the same way.
As to the breakfast buffet where you only saw eggs and cheese, you probably overlooked scrambled eggs, bacon, ham, meat, preservatives, yoghourt,muesli, conrflakes, fruit salad, fresh fruit and a large choice of bread amongst others.
Yours sincerely
René R.F. Wildeman, General Manager.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 16 August 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Very close to the center (a few metres from Dam square) and also to Central Station, that you can easily reach walking. The room was clean and recently restyled even if a bit small. The bed and the other furniture were new. In the night it was extremely silent. Staff kind and polite.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends