“Ups and Downs”

Ranked #154 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
UK
“Ups and Downs”
Reviewed 30 April 2009

A really difficult one this - we've just come back from a few nights at this hotel and picked a gorgeous sunny time in wonderful Amsterdam. My other half says 'it's just somewhere to sleep' but if you're like me, you look forward to day trips then coming back to your hotel to freshen up etc so it's a bit more than that. The good sides - we loved the location, it was totally spot on and not at all noisy even though it was right on Damrak. The main square is less than one minutes walk and the tram stop is just outside. Staff were friendly, well presented and breakfast was good with a wide range of food on offer. If things run out, don't be afraid to ask as they are really happy to help. The not so good side - the hotel (according to signs up in it) has had a smoking ban since July 2008 - all the rooms on our floor had smoking signs on them (we stayed on 2nd floor) and there was an ashtray and matches in our room. I have to be brutal here but our room absolutely STUNK of smoke. The curtains, the chairs, the over cover on the bed - it really was off putting -I was all for complaining but my 'keep the peace' other half said he could live with it as we were hardly going to be in it. In the shower (which was FAB and hot and lovely) there was nowhere to put your shampoo/soap etc so it had to go on the floor around your feet - not ideal. The toilet was a 'shelf loo' so everything that goes down there sits on a shelf before being washed away - I had a real problem with this as we didn't see this anywhere else in the City. Maybe it was because it was smelling of stale smoke, but the room felt dirty and unfortunately it was only as we were leaving and did an 'under the bed search for stuff left behind' did we find someone elses slippers - it looked like it hadn't been hoovered in weeks. The reason this review is hard is because we've agreed that if we go to Amsterdam again, we would probably stay here for the location but ask to be transferred to another room if there was a problem. Halfway through our stay a lovely staff member asked if all was ok and I stupidly said 'yes' - I just hate to make a scene so thought it easier to shut up - I now wish I'd said something as although not for my husband, for me it really made the whole trip a little tainted. Such a shame as a great location but please guys, give room 225 a deep clean, get fresh furnishings and keep on top of the cleaners - and get rid of the ashtrays!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, 1 May 2009
One wise lesson: Always complain when you are not satisfied. You are paying for accommodation and services so you are entitled to get value for your money.
It is correct that as from July 1st 2008 there is a total smoking ban for hotels, restaurants and cafés in the Netherlands. However, hotels can assign "smoking rooms". So we decided to make all rooms on the 2nd floor "smoking" rooms. But, the staff at our Front Office normally asks the preference of the guest and I sincerely apologize if this has not been done in your case.
Our hotel goes through a full renovation program of the bathrooms and you had one of the few "old" bathrooms . The toilet is of a model which I have only seen in Dutch homes and hotels and I fully agree that this is not an appealing model. With the renovation program this model will be replaced by a model meeting international standards. In our new bathrooms there is also more space to put your belongings.
We use to get many positive comments on the cleanliness of the rooms and I wonder why we completely failed in room 225. We regret and apologize that we could not fully meet your expectations and if you want to give us a second chance on a future occasion, please contact me directly before your arrival.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
ny
Reviewed 1 April 2009

We recently stayed at this hotel for three nights and had a blast! Our room was ready as soon as we arrived, about 11:00am. The reception staff were so friendly and answered all of our questions. The room was very comfortable and had a great view of the square. We were a little worried about the shower not having a door or curtain, but surprisingly it was fine and the shower was great. The beds were so comfortable as well. We didn't eat at the restaurant, so I can't comment on that. But the location of this hotel is unbeatable. Just steps from the Dam Square and the Red Light District and from anything that you would need or want. Before we even left we were planning our next trip back to Amsterdam, and we'll definitely be staying here!

1 Thank NYTraveler027
runner123, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, 4 April 2009
We were pleased to learn that we lived up to your expectations. Yes, some guests do not like that some of our bathrooms have (not fully transparent) glass doors. We are going to correct this when we are renovating our rooms again. With some of our new bathrooms we have changed this already. It is a pity that you did not try the restaurant to experience Dutch regional specialities. Maybe the next time? We look forward to our visit.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2009

Although we had made a reservation, we were late arriving because of delayed train. Gruff reception, immediate payment demanded, before sending us up to the room. We asked about food and were told only Macfdonalds was available. The room was awful - ICE COLD and SMELLY, and unkempt looking. When we complained, there was no hint of apology, so we left and found a MUCH nicer, warmer and friendlier hotel nearby.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
If someone has a delayed train and is arriving late, a warm welcoming is expected. This was unfortunately not the case and we failed to meet your expectations. I regret that you did not send further details, as I requested by e-mail, but I presume you arrived after midnight as all restaurants seemed to be closed. We sincerely apologize for this negative experience. As we have a GreenKey qualification we do not heat all rooms at 22 C, for environmental reasons, and only heat up the rooms for the expected arrivals. This was apparently not done in your case. The only positive thing seems that the competition succeeded in making your stay in our city a pleasant one.
Portlamd
Reviewed 24 January 2009

Christmas Beer

It was the best Christmas gift I could have gotten, a free beer at Hotel Amsterdam. Maybe the waiter in the restaurant Roode Leuw was impresssed when I returned the little tray with the beer and wine glasses which we’d ordered earlier. I’d carried them up those steep Dutch stairs to our third floor room, astounding my wife. She is still unaccoustomed to my prowess on the stairs. She takes the lift. If I’m not distracted by a conversation with the clever kids at the front desk, I usually win our race.

Now, on my return trip for a second beer, I told the waiter my wife would never believe he’d just given me a free drink, she who’d doubted I could make it to our room with beer and wine glasses still full. The beer had sweated a little bit onto the tray’s doily, but the only wine spill occured when I reached our floor. I was so relieved I let my guard down. Still, I was triumphant. This must be how those Dutch guys feel as they bound up and down Amsterdam stairs. It’s a very good way to keep in shape.

The waiter hadn’t really seem surprised when I returned for that second glass of beer. Perhaps he himself was a beer lover and knew how hard it is to drink just one glass of Dutch beer. He’d seemed impressed when I paid in cash earlier. They’re thrifty, those Dutch guys. It’s too easy to charge to your room, and that’s how nasty bills grow. Drinking what you can pay for will keep you honest. My second trip, he spoke only in Dutch.

Maybe he just thought he’d surprise this feisty old American dude. I reached in my pocket to pay for my new glass sitting sparkling on its tray, and the waiter, a big smile on his face, waved me off. It was on the house. “Feine Kerst dag,” he beemed.

I now had another astounding feat with which to amaze my wife.

We've been returning to Hotel Amsterdam for over twenty years now, and intend to do so for twenty more. It is a wonderful place. Like home.

• Liked — Helpful staff
  • Disliked — Amsterdam needs to rethink there no smoking rules. It is too difficult if you are disabled to go outside. The hotel was very kind in this.
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank rubenportland
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, 27 January 2009
What a wonderful story. We are happy that you feel at home at our property and hope we can keep it this way for the next 20 years you intend to come.
United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2009

We went a few years ago now and visited Amsterdam at the same time as other friends who stayed elsewhere. All we heard from our friends were nightmare stories of their hotels whilst our hotel, De Roode Leeuw, was clean, well maintained, comfortable and in the most perfect location. They were all rather jealous when we told them of our perfect hotel and the reasonable price.

We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant (room only was our booking) but the hotel arranged a taxi for is, let us keep out bags somewhere safe after check out whilst we had another walk around the City.

All in all, apart from the rooms being a little small (but perfectly ample), you cannot fault this hotel and we would certainly book it again next time we visit Amsterdam.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Funny doors leading to shower
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Mr_EssUK
We are certainly not 100% perfect but do our best to make the stay of our guests a pleasant one. It is a pity that you did not visit our Restaurant De Roode Leeuw this time as it has a good reputation for Dutch Regional Specialties. We hope to welcome you AND your friends on a future occassion.
Cayenne, French Guiana
Reviewed 26 December 2008

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and I liked it.
The management really cares for tripadvisor reviews,
and they try to give their customers the best possible service.
I wish all hotels were like this one.
The location is good and rooms offer a good European standard of facilities.

• Liked — very friendly reception staff
  • Disliked — small lobby
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, 29 December 2008
We thank you for your review. Yes, reviews are very important for us and we do care about what our customers liked and disliked. If possible we take immediate action. If immediate action is not possible we bring it up in the training sessions for our staff by an outside company. Our staff is our most valued asset and we do our utmost to make them aware about the needs of our customers.
With my best wishes for 2009
René R.F. Wildeman
Bath
Reviewed 10 December 2008

I stayed at the Amsterdam Hotel for 4 nights 4th to 8th Dec 2008.
It was a joy, staff were polite & so helpful. the room although small was very clean & the bathroom, which looked new was lovely. Its in a great position & the restaurant is really good. I will go back.
John Gray, Bath Uk.

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank Bathplumber
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, 16 December 2008
We thank you for your positive comments. Indeed, we are renovation our bathrooms and another serie of 10 bathrooms will be ready before the end of the year. As soon as the new year starts another serie of 10 will be renovated in the same style. Despite the financial crisis we shall continue to invest in our staff and product.