“It was OK”

Ranked #154 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Brisbane, Australia
“It was OK”
Reviewed 28 December 2009

I stayed for two nights at this hotel recently and thought it was OK. I've visited Amsterdam five times in the past few years and have stayed at different hotels (3* and 4*) near Centraal Station each time, so my expectations were realistic.

My 'smoking comfort room' at the Hotel Amsterdam was the smallest I've encountered so far, with the bathroom door not fully opening because the bed was in the way. The furniture was dated and the arms easily fell off the desk chair (which could barely fit). I was travelling solo and wasn't really concerned about the size of the room, the dated furniture, or about the opaque bathroom door, but can understand why others have commented. I wouldn't like to be sharing.

The windows of my room opened to a view of a brick wall of the building across the laneway, and whilst uninspiring, I appreciated the central location of the hotel and that not every room can face the front. Fortunately(?), my view was of a portion of the building that did not have any windows, so I did feel a sense of privacy when I had my windows open. The heating in my room was adequate, the double-glazing kept the noise out, I slept well, and the staff were friendly. The room was clean and stocked with all of the usual ameneties, including a mini bar and although a surcharge was payable (15 Euro), I was grateful for the option of a smoking room (a rarity in Amsterdam).

Would I stay here next time I visit? Probably not. I'll try somewhere different, again. But I wouldn't discourage you from staying if you're after a clean, central and convenient room with a bed and amenities. It's OK.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank NorthernRiversNSW
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, 29 December 2009
We appreciate your comment and regret that we did not fully meet your expectations and could not do better than an O.K.
It is 9 years since our latest refurbishment was done.
At the moment we have several interior designers working on a proposal for the next refurbishment which will start one year from now. In the meantime we are continuing the full renovation of our bathrooms. Of course the replacement of the opaque bathroom doors will be part of the room renovation.
Fortunately you appreciated the cleanliness of our property and the room amenties.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
clevedon
Reviewed 10 December 2009

Booked in the hotel for 5 nights at the begining of Dec, found the staff very friendly and helpful everyone we encountered spoke excellent English. We had a standard room bit small but it is city centre hotel but always clean and mini bar well stocked. Solid door to shower room. Hotel situated in excellent location for all aspects of the city, just down the road from the train station and canal trips, good for shopping restaurants etc. Food in the restaurant good.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for having taken the time to write a review. Yes, indeed, a better location in Amsterdam than ours can hardly be found. It was a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future
pireaus
Reviewed 24 November 2009

On the plus, the hotel's location was great, right in the heart of Amsterdam, making it easy for us to go around. The staff were accommodating, but not extremely helpful.

We were initially put in a twin room although we had specifically requested a double, without even being advised why we were given a twin. We were changed to a double room the following day after we complained. This room was right opposite the elevator, hence extremely noisy; the management should really consider turning it into a storage room, since no one can get a decent sleep as the hotel is busy at all times.

The other negative point about our medium sized room was that the bathroom’s door was see-through glass and so you were able to see the toilet right in front of the bed.

Also, the corridors had a musty, moldy aroma which thankfully was not passed on to the rooms. The overall impression was not that of a 4 star hotel, but rather that of a 3 star hotel.

On the whole, we would probably stay here again due to the hotel’s excellent location, but only under the assurance that we were given a bigger room, away from the elevator.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, 1 December 2009
Like you have learned probably from previous reviews about our property, several guests had comments about the opaque doors in the bathrooms. This made us decide to replace them upon the next renovation which shall start in january 2011.
As far as bookings are concerend, due to the limited number of double bedded rooms, we always confirm twin bedded rooms with double beds upon request. I do not know which channel you used when making your booking but they should have drawn your attention upon this fact. I am happy that we could accommodate you in a double bedded room for the rest of your stay. Nevertheless, I regret that we could not make your stay as perfect as you had expected but hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you again in the future
Rene R.F. Wildeman
Southampton
Reviewed 14 November 2009

Having already stayed in this hotel in July 2008 and loved every minute of it - had no hesitation booking a return trip expecting the same this year (for my partner's birthday). Was extrememly dissapointed with the room. The rooms appear to have been renovated since last year - unfortunately not for the better - The first room we were given was small, cramped and has a GLASS see through door to the toilet and shower which was right next to the bed (Not very pleasant - and certainly not very comfortable to sit on the toilet with a glass door and your partner being able to watch you from the bed (maybe it suits "some" people!).
Immediately requested to change rooms due to the glass door issue - was told "most" rooms are like this (very dissapointed as the previous year the room was perfect with a large bathroom/toilet with a enclosed door for some privacy). Swapped to a room with a enclosed toilet which was tiny! (I'm 5ft 6 and my knees touched the door when sat on toilet - no basin in toilet) - Shower room still had a see through GLASS door with a small basin -no shelves at all, no area to put soap/shower gel etc - sounds minor, but strange for a 4 star hotel!.

Overall a real shame as the renovated rooms made it feel i had been ripped off - since I actually paid almost £100 more this time round for what feels a lot less for my money - for location the hotel is superb, just a real shame the rooms do not reflect value for money at all - real shame as the staff and location could not be faulted.

Will not be staying again on next trip - shame

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
We thank your for your comments and we are sorry to learn that you did not like our property as much as the first time you stayed with us. First of all let us point out that no renovation has taken place at all, except the bathrooms. Although many modern hotels have "glassed" bathrooms or even bathtubs standing in the bedroom, we learned that not all guests appreciate the opaque bathroom doors. We have decided to replace them upon the next round of renovations which starts in a year. Reading your description we presume that you had a superior room upon your first stay and a standard room this time. We regret that you will not return anymore but be assured that we shall use your comments to improve the product although we can not change the size of the bathrooms.
Durham, England
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Booked a double room to be told on arrival that they had 'run out'. They didn't seem to understand the concept of a reservation and gave us a twin instead. Bathroom doors are glass and so you can see the toilet 18 inches away from the bed. Despite asking for non smoking room ours smelled of smoke and to add insult to injury we had staff banging on the door through the night asking if we were smoking in the room!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, 11 November 2009
We regret that we were not able to meet your expectations. As far as the reservation is concerned; double bedded rooms are always "on request"and upon availability and this has to do with the limited number of double bedded rooms available. We sincerely apologize that you smelled smoke in your room. As you have experienced yourself, we are very strict on the non-smoking policy and do not tolerate smoking with the exception of the "smoking" rooms on the 2nd floor. Still it happens that guests do not respect the rules and still smoke in "non-smoking"rooms. As to the glass doors, although more and more hotels have fully glassed bathrooms, we shall replace these doors upon next refurbishment of the rooms, as we learned that several guests do not appreciate the opaque glass dors we installed 9 years ago.
We sincerely apologize for the inconveneince caused to you and regret that we could not make your stay a perfect one.
NYC
Reviewed 26 October 2009

The reviews on this site for Hotel Amsterdam-De Roode Leeuw do not do justice to this hotel. When traveling I look for hotels with good deals but based on the reviews I was not expecting much from this hotel. However, when I arrived, checked in, and saw my room I was extremely happy. The room was small, but you have to expect this in Europe. The staff were friendly, courteous, professional, helpful, and met all of our needs. Do not pay attention to the negative reviews for this hotel. I found them to be untrue and extremely dissapointing that people would be so callous as to tarnish the reputation of such a great hotel. The hotel setting is perfect. Right in the city center, approximately a 5-10 minute walk from Central Station. Attractions are near and shopping district is right behind the hotel. The view of the Royal Palais square from our room was wonderful and picturesque. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends, family, and particularly my parents.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, 28 October 2009
It was a pleasure for my team and myself to learn that your stay has been a pleasant one. Nevertheless bare in mind that an experience is unique and personal so we also do respect less positive reviews and do our utmost to improve our product and services. Sometimes this is possible instantly, other times, when involving investments, this takes more time. Something we can not improve and are happy we can not, is our unique location and I agree that the view from your room is unique, looking over the place Dam square, the place were our city started about 800 years ago.
bournemouth
Reviewed 13 September 2009

This was our third stay and we booked it because we love it. We requested a front facing room with balcony and smoking, and thats exactly what we got. Lovely. The bathroom has been refurbished since our last stay and is nicely done although the shower could have been upgraded a bit! (ideally).
The staff on our arrival were lovely as usual but no help with our bags.
We didnt use the restaurant because we are always too busy exploring but it always looks very welcoming and the menu looks good.
After reading one of the other reviews, I do feel the need to comment on negatives said.The view might not be canals but its part of bustling amsterdam and the location is so good that exploring is a dream.
The disappointing part was we foolishly put some change ( only 7 euros) at the back of a shelf for our train fare back to airport and it went missing. We told them on reception and suggested that maybe the chambermaid service thought it was a tip despite it being the middle of our stay. They said they would look into it. I had to ask again the next day and was told bluntly that noone took it- not particularly good customer service. Our pillow cases were not changed and the room was not well hoovered. The bathroom was always very clean. Our lights stopped working but were modified so they worked the next day.They are minor things but we have high expectations of one of our favoured hotels. We might not return.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gindy41
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, 14 September 2009
You give this review the title "A bit disappointing" but I can very well understand that you were more disappointed than the title suggests. This shows how an employee not taking a complaint seriously can spoil a stay. Of course I have investigated this matter but neither The Executive Housekeeper nor any of the Management team have been informed by the staff about this serious incident. Security and safety is very important for us as we rarely experience incidents that's why I shall try to contact you directly in order to get more details. I sincerely apologize for what happened. You say it is only 7 Euro but even it had been 20 cents it should not have been touched.
i hope that you understand that this is not the rule in our property and hope you will give us another chance.