“Great Hotel.”

Ranked #140 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Haywards Heath, nr Brighton
“Great Hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2006

Hotel is fantastic, rooms are small but you will find this anywhere in central Amsterdam. It's right at the Dam square end of Damrak which means all the local sites are a quick stroll away. Breakfast, service, cleaniness, amenities all cannot be faulted.

Would recommend.

Check the view I had from my room!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small room but you will get this anywhere in central Amsterdam (trust me I know)
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a Damrak facing room on the top floor!
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Harvey871

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2006

I had booked 3 rooms via Priceline, and had then contacted the hotel directly asking if I could have the rooms close together. Rene Wildeman replied immediately and the reservations department got back to me letting me know they would try to put us together, and then offered us an upgrade for $31 per night per room. We accepted it, and was glad we did since I saw a regular room later on and it was tiny. I am pretty sure our luggage would not fit in there.
We took the train from Schipol to Central Station and then walked the straight road to the hotel. It was about 7 mins away. Check in was prompt, the desk people were very friendly and the rooms were ok. They were dark since they were in the back with no view at all but the size of the rooms were amazing. I did not like the toiletries that came with the hotel however. The shampoo felt like watered down laundry detergent. I would recommend taking your own supply. Also, a warning, be careful of what you sign up for as wireless internet. We were told to open the internet page and follow instructions to sign up for internet. Well, we turned on my laptop and Tmobile came up. So we signed up for it, and lost signal right after that. Turns out that was not what the hotel offered. So, I will now have to dispute those charges since the connection was bad and I did not get access at all except for the first few mins it needed the credit card number. The beds were very comfortable, the toilet paper felt like sandpaper :)
The location was unbeatable. It was in the middle of the tourist section. After I saw where the Crowne Plaza and Marriott was located, I was glad I won the Red Leeow bid, since we like being in the center of touristy things and this was it. The RDL was literally a block away, we could be there in about 5 mins. Loved Extase coffee shop, people in Amsterdam were so so friendly I cant begin to say enough!
Remember to buy water from the supermarket near Madame Tussauds, much cheaper than anywhere else. We were charged city taxes of 5.66 euros per night per room. Room service was quick and efficient. Only once did we come back and see that housekeeping had kept a bag of trash on the bathroom sink and had forgotten to remove it, however someone came up in seconds after I called the front desk and had it cleared and kept on aplogizing. There was an electric kettle in the rooms with cups, coffees, teas, sugar and creamer. The only thing I did not like was the absence of an iron in the room. I was told we would need to go to the ironing room on the third floor to iron...which felt wierd. We also asked if we could keep one room till about 1pm and check out from the other two rooms since our flight was at 5pm and we were planning to leave the hotel around 2pm. The desk agent was very quick to say "no" and it was abrupt, if the other agents had not been nice I would have had a problem with it.
Anyway, it was a good hotel, not to be compared to a 4 star in the US but good...I would recommend the hotel but remember it might be a good idea to take the upgrade if offered and it is reasonable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dark rooms.
  • Tips/Secrets — Upgrade to superior room
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
6 Thank Desirees
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2006

The Hotel is very handy for Central Station , Dam Square , Canals and Damrak. It has been recently refurbished our room and furnishings were very clean. The individual air conditioning and double glazing were a real bonus as we were there during the heat wave in mid July. Staff were very courteous, and being late risers we enjoyed breakfasts in our room. We found that the continental breakfasts were more than adequate, but there was the option of additional cooked breakfast for about 3 euros extra each. The main restaurant serves a good selection of traditional Dutch meals in the evenings.Recommend this hotel for location and price.

Stayed June 2006
11 Thank ramshaw
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2006

i stayed in this hotel at the end of may and was expecting a great place after reading some reviews but was not happy with what i found. The 2 girls at the reception were not helpfull and made us wait untill 2 when the chek in starts even though after reading reviews on this site and others many people were checked in straight away, in the morning. We were also made to wait a few times to see the staff at the reception because they were too busy serving other guests even though we were in line before them.(this happend when we were checking out). The rooms were cleaned everyday but i think all they were doing was making the beds and vacuming the room, they do not change the sheets in the bed like they do in every other hotel i have stayed in, even do this in 2 star hotels. the man who looks after the bags made us wait about 20 mins to get our bags when we were checking out which is very poor service. the room was good though becuase we had a small balcony which was over looking damrak and we could see dam sq. it was not noisey either which was good. overall this hotel is in a good location with decent rooms (although they are on the small side)..... but i have to say the service is poor and the reception looks very tacky not like something you would expect to see in a 4 star hotel... it looks very cheap. in september i stayed in the Avenue hotel which is only bout 3 - 5 min walk from dam sq.... it was half the price, the service was 10x better, the room was much better and it actually felt like you were staying in a hotel not the big brother house with security cameras everywhere you look, which was another thing i disliked about this hotel. This hotel would be good if it was cheaper, we ended up paying 500 euros for 3 nights for 2 people, but we did order a lot of room service and used the mini bar but it was still a rip of for what you get. I WOULD NOT STAY HERE look somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2006

After being bumped from the hd Doolen hotel on a lovely canel in Amsterdam we were, I feel, tricked into accepting a room in the Amsterdam "Red Lion" hotel (located in the DAM right next to a noisy, smelly McDonalds). When it was time to leave, we bought our tickets for the Shuttle (there's a sign in the lobby that states "we pick up at this hotel") after purchasing the tickets at 10:15 am (our flight was at 23:00) we asked if the shuttle would pull up in front, we were told yes. That was not true, as the shuttle picks up across the DAM. Because of the ill communication and simply poor customer service we received at the hotel we missed our flight and ended up spending another $139.00+ euros (about $195.00 dollars) finding another hotel for the night.

Even though this hotel is rated a 4 star, it's obviously for people who don't make it a habit to stay in better places. If you don't care about service and reliability pick this place, If you do -- run as fast as you can to another one. I also find it very interesting that I con't find a customer service link to complain and ask for restitution.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, 31 May 2006
This comment does not give any objective comment about our property. The comment that the nearby McDonalds is smelly and noisy does not hold any justification. Like every McDonalds, it is well kept and clean. I feel that there is more anger about having been " bumped from" the Doelen Hotel than precise critics about our hotel. We do not understand how a guest can miss his flight because he misses a shuttle bus that is not pulling up across the street
(which is closed because of roadworks) but 50 meters further on Dam Square. It is certainly not true that we do not care about service and the many positive comments we are receiving regularly, especially about our Front Office Staff prove the contrary.
We do not have a customer service link on our website but, like every hotel, we have both our e-mail as our postal address clearly marked on the site, so anyone who has constructive criticism can reach us.
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2006

We stayed here for a long weekend in Amsterdam. The location is very good as you are close to all the sites and the train station. We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly but the rooms were a little grubby and the frosted glass door on the bathroom was strange to say the least. The rooms were a bit noisy as you could hear people in the hall and doors closing; the walls were paper thin, we could hear someone cough in the next room! The room was a little on the small side. The hotel restaurant was very good, the food was reasonably priced, very good and the waiter was great.

The staff belonged in a 4 star hotel, which this is most certainly not.

• Stayed October 2004
6 Thank lenina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2006

We stayed at The Red Lion for a weekend get away. We flew in and took the train to Centraal Station and walked to the hotel. Even though it was freezing in Amsterdam the walk was quick and the hotel was very easy to find.

The hotel is located right next to Dam Square and the tram stops directly in front of the hotel. This made for easy access to any part of the city! It also made it easy to wander around and still find your way back since it is located on Dam Square.

The Hotel itself was ok. We were upgraded to a Jr suite for an extra €20 a night. I would not recommend this. The room we were in was a conference room with a Murphy bed and ceiling to floor windows looking out onto a brick wall and A/C unit for the building.

The staff were helpful. Not out going but not rude. We did not eat at the Restaurant so I can't review on that.

But based on the price and the location I will definitely stay in the hotel again while in Amsterdam. The reason for the 4 rating on this review is the fact that our suite was a conference room complete with projector screen and extra office chairs. I would not recommend upgrading to a jr suite. They also charge for EVERYTHING in the room! So if you need your tea, like me, I suggest bringing some along!

• Stayed January 2006