“Good Hotel - Couple of Niggles”

Mercure Amsterdam Airport
Ranked #158 of 365 Hotels in Amsterdam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
B29 5sn
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Arrived with four colleagues and just wanted to eat and sleep. We had been booked half board by our company and the lovely receptionist who checked us in explained it included dinner and breakfast and gave us vouchers for dinner. When we sat down to dinner we were initially given menus until the waiter saw our vouchers at which point he took the menus away and told us what we would be eating. No choice, just one set meal, chicken. I explained I was a vegetarian and my only alternative was pasta.
We then waited over an hour for our food and when it arrived there were five chicken meals. I then waited a further 30 minutes for my pasta replacement by which time my colleagues had all finished. One and a half hours for a plate of pasta (which was very tasty). After we all retired to our rooms one of the waiters went to my colleagues room asking for the money for our drinks. My colleague told him to put it on the room bill but this wasn't possible so my colleague had to get dressed and go down to the bar to pay.
The room was functional and clean but the bed side lights didn't work. The room doors close very loudly which is disturbing.
The following morning we met for our breakfast which was good, lots of choice, but on checking out the receptionist wanted to charge us over €20 each. She told us breakfast wasn't included in half board.
Staying at this hotel was just more trouble that it was worth, nothing like the relaxing evening after a long days work that we were hoping for. We will be staying somewhere else next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Diane P
MercureAir, Front Office Manager at Mercure Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Amsterdam Airport. I am very sorry to hear about your experience in our Restaurant; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed in the city centre in a different hotel but decided to stay at the airport for our last night as we had an early flight.
I wouldn't recommend staying here if you want to go back and forth to the centre although if you do there is a bus (number 197) that will take you to the centre. The stop is less than 5 minutes from the hotel.
The hotel Shuttle service to and from the airport was excellent though. We had a good giggle with the drivers we had. The man that took us to the hotel was a gem. He gave us lots of little tips about transport and the city. He said "promise me when you get off the bus you will walk on this side of the road and you cross twice as the other side is dangerous". Bless, what an absolute sweetheart.
Check in and out was quick.
The room was clean, pretty modern (accept the 1970's hairdryer) and comfortable.
Didn't have the breakfast here as 21euros is a bit ridiculous!
I noticed a lot of people saying they pushed they're club card a lot but we didn't experience this at all, but then we were in the hotel less than 14 hours!
Great price and good wifi.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive as well as constructive feedback.
I will share your comments with our team especially our drivers, as they will appreciate your comments very much. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Me and my family stayed for 4 nights and we love it very much.
it felt really fresh to stayed over there. room was very clean, comfy and also nice neighborhood.

The staff were really helpful, I got a problem with the elevator cause it was very small for 2 my big luggage but they manage to help me with that.

It wasn't so hard to found transportation, the bus stop adjacent to the hotel about 5 minute walk, and from there you could go to amsterdam. there nearest place of interest it was museumplien or rijk museum it take around 20 minutes to go there.

shuttle bus really helpful if you wanna go to the airport so could found many restaurant or coffee shop there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Aditya P
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Good to relax unwind yet easy bus ride to city centre. Staff were friendly and helpful. Bed mattress could be more comfortable, otherwise room and service was good.
Airport shuttle is great convenience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

MercureAir, Front Office Manager at Mercure Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. It alway is a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your review with our staff and I hope that we all can welcome you soon again at Mercure Amsterdam Airport.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My wife and I stayed in this hotel and found most of the staff were very helpful. We rented their bikes on-site, but at 16EUR per day per bike, they are much more expensive than elsewhere in the Netherlands (I paid 37EUR for a week elsewhere). However, it is still cheaper then taking taxis. If trying to explore the museums, parks, etc. I would highly recommend booking the bikes in advance as there are only 6 total on the property and they are needed to get into the city. The area was very quiet and peaceful, no airplane noise whatsoever. The commute to the city is 8km/20min by bike. The bed was comfortable and light was blocked out completely (could have easily slept in until noon but we wanted to make the most of our vacation time there). This hotel would be considered extremely pricey for what you get if it was in the US, but perhaps all NL hotels are just on the high end. There was even an extra charge for using the television ($10EUR per day).

One last note: on our last day the van driver to the airport did not bother to check for any passengers waiting outside and decided to drive away - at this time my wife went in to the front desk to inquire as to where he was going and luckily she was able to page him back to pick us up, as well as 2 other people also needing to get to the airport.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank counterweight7
MercureAir, Front Office Manager at Mercure Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is always a pleasure to receive positive as well as constructive feedback.
i will pass your feedback on to our drivers so an incident as such won't happen again. My apologies for this. Further I'm am sorry the hear that there is some confusion about the television. The regular channels are free of charge (approximately 50 worldwide channels) the multimedia package on the television is €9,95
We appreciate your sharing your concerns and I hope the we will be able to welcome you soon again at Mercure Amsterdam Airport.