“Looks nice, beware of your belongings!”

Hotel Okura Amsterdam
Ranked #30 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Me and my girlfriend have just returned from the Okura hotel amsterdam. The staff are helpful and it is generally a nice place to stay. However after leaving the hotel we realised one of our belongings had gone missing, We contacted the hotel as soon as we could and were told the item was not there and were TOLD we had taken it with us and lost it. Which is rubbish as it had not left the hotel room.

This has given the hotel a very bad name in our eyes, who wants to stay in a place you don't feel safe and have to watch your belongings 24/7?

Now we have arrived home it does not seem to be a concern of theres....

Room Tip: use a safe!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank oliver p
Hotel_OkuraAmsterdam, Manager at Hotel Okura Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Thank you for your feedback. Can you please contact us via feedback@okura.nl?

Write a ReviewReviews (2,627)

Reviewed 21 October 2012

I spent 11 nights during a business trip in Hotel Okura. I was given an executive room in the 22nd floor with a great view at a very good corporate rate. My overall experience was very good. Room was notably spacious, stylish and spotless clean (see pics). Breakfast is delicious and served daily precisely from 7:00am. Executive room is very nice with refreshments available from 7:00am to 10:00pm. Staff are very friendly especially the Japanese men who stand sometimes near the elevators. Public transportation is 3 minutes away (Cornelis Troostplein tram stop). It is out of the city center. However, the tram gets you there in 18 minutes from Cornelis Troostplein to the Dam. Walking takes 30-40 minutes.

I took out one star because of the following two reasons:
1) Complementary wifi and ethernet was extremely slow. I was told by the guest relations lady to choose the premium service for 12 euros/day. However, I was under the assumption that fast internet connection is a given in a 400 euros/day room.
2) Housekeeping is extremely slow in responding to cleaning the room. I repeatedly had to call them to clean the room after having left for several hours without the room being cleaned (cleaning sign was on).

Room Tip: Go for the 22nd floor. The view is great.
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Third stay at Okura,since all rooms are now restored it is an excellent stay. We liked the see-through bathroom and the spacious bathtub. Breakfast was included so I can't comment on value for money, but it was very good.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Great hotel, Great service and great, if somewhat pricey, food. spent too miuch time in the cocktail bar on the 23rd!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
2  Thank ALISON W
Reviewed 13 October 2012

This is really a fabulous Hotel, great comfortable rooms, high-class restaurants, executive lounge, top staff & service, outstanding public and conference facilities all best of the best. Probably the best big Hotel in the all country.

The only downside is the location, out of the old historical center and it takes some 15-20 minutes to reach it but it is close to the Amstel Station and Schipol on the other hand.

Room Tip: Try to book a room on the executive level (19th floor).
2  Thank Genopen
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I stayed at Hotel Okura Amsterdam for 2 nights with my sister for her 21st birthday and cannot fault the hotel and its staff!

I had pre-arranged some extras as a surprise for my sister, all through the hotel. I booked a limo and the driver was ready waiting outside our terminal when we arrived. He drove us around the city to show us where everything was in relation to the hotel, and pointed out the main attractions. We were then dropped off at the hotel where check in was really quick and easy. We turned up 3 hours before check in, to drop our bags off, however our room was ready for us already! The room we had was beautiful, on the exec floors. It was a huge room, spacious and luxurious with an amazing view of the city as we were on a high floor level. About 10 mins after we got to our room, the champagne and birthday cake I had pre-arranged arrived (even though we weren't meant to have checked in until 2pm) which was excellent organisation!

We ordered breakfast to the room and both mornings it was very prompt. There was so much food!! A typical continental breakfast of pastries and breads, tea, coffee and fruit juice.

The concierge were extremely helpful and had a number of leaflets and maps for us. The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them.

On the first night we went to the hotel bar on the top floor - this had an amazing atmosphere and amazing views of the city at night. We managed to get a window seat table which was just fantastic!

The hotel is in a great location, a bit further south of the city centre, but in a nice quiet area. However, it's only a 10-15min tram journey away from the Heineken Experience and Dam Square, and there is a tram stop 3 minutes walk from the hotel. In my opinion it was in an ideal location.

The only one complaint I have about this hotel is that they had put a freeze on £460 in my account. I was not informed of this upon check in. When I checked my bank account and noticed there was an amount unavailable I rang down to reception and they said that a freeze of 200euro is put on the card. So I cannot work out why £460 was held. I then had to contact the hotel about 4 days after I had returned home as this freeze had not been lifted, which meant that I had £460 unavailable balance in my account for over a week after leaving the hotel!

Room Tip: The exec rooms are amazing - can only be accessed by someone with an exec room key card and you have...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Samara N
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Rooms are spacious and well appointed but the internet service was down for a day during a recent stay. The business centre has only 2 computers one of which was faulty one day and had been removed the next. The room lighting system never worked properly, very annoying despite an electrician changing a circuit board they still did not work and my second complaint received no response. Staff were friendly and helpful, food was good but expensive and over-rated. Colleagues stayed at the nearby Hilton, had just as good service at much lower price, in an hotel with as good an ambience.

Room Tip: Make sure the lights work properly
2  Thank jwforden
Hotel_OkuraAmsterdam, Manager at Hotel Okura Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We regret to hear we did not meet your expectations. Could you please send us your contact details via feedback@okura.nl? We would like to get in touch with you.