“Very Good Hotel”

Hotel Okura Amsterdam
Ranked #31 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Excellent service! Great rooms! Delicious food!

I stay in the hotel for five nights during the capacity Europe conference. The room had a fantastic view over Amsterdam and it was well appointed. A nice touch was the turn down service at night.

Food was very good. I ate several lunches and one dinner at the hotel. The quality of the food was exceptional.

The service from the front desk was possibly the best I have ever experienced. The staff where kind, helpful, courteous and very professional.

Thanks Hotel Okura

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,649)

Reviewed 19 November 2012

Okura Hotel is a luxury hotel with very good service, in terms of attitude of staff, food, room quality, facility etc, and it is located at a peaceful location with easy acccess to city centre via Metro or taxi. I especially love the room, when you first enter the room there's welcome music, plus automatic opening curtain, which is quite sweet.

Room Tip: the delux room at 4th floor is very nice and sweet, it is indeed very clean and well equiped.
Reviewed 17 November 2012

We stayed at this Hotel for three nights at the end of a 17 day European Vacation. This hotel was very classy and 1st class all of the way. The resturant was unreal and the rooms were of the highest quality we had ever seen before. Staff was very helpful for 4 first time Amsterdam visitors. Hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I was invited to a conference at this hotel and was quite frankly wowed. The carpets, furnishings, even the wall coverings are beautifully designed. The public spaces are plentiful and comfortable. Good wifi connections - but at 12 euros per day, not cheap but not the most expensive I've experienced. The bedroom was super - spotlessly clean, warm and comfortable. The bed was lovely, the bathroom perfectly appointed and as for Fragonard toiletries - I was blown away (I happen to love Fragonard perfume and always drop into their shop in Paris when I'm there to pick up some perfume - you can't beat the real thing).
I would recommend this hotel for a great stay in Amsterdam. I wasn't particularly impressed with the food but I am not a great fan of Dutch cuisine anyway.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

We have been to Amsterdam many times over the years and have stayed in a variety of hotels. One of my favorites was The Grand, which is now a Sofitel. It has been redone and for me they have taken away the old world charm and turned it into yet another design hotel, which you can find in any city. It is great for the location and for what it is but I miss its soul.
For this trip we decided to try something a bit different and stayed at the Hotel Okura, which is out of the city center in a tranquil suburban like neighborhood. It is more residential giving you a more authentic sense of Dutch living. However, it is not far from the city center. If you like to walk, I guess it takes a good twenty minutes, giving you a great opportunity to discover a different side of Amsterdam both for shopping and eating point of view. It also takes about twenty-minute by tram to the center and train station if walking is not your thing. The hotel is close to the museums and the Amsterdam Market, which is filled with all kinds of treats.
The hotel itself is a twenty-three-story building, which gives you exceptional views over the city. It has a Japanese sense of esthetic and it is charming and serene. The staff is efficient, friendly and works hard to meet the hotel’s standard for quality. We had a small problem with our room and they went above and beyond to fix it and to ensure that we were over compensated for the mishap.
We stayed on the twenty-second floor, which is their executive floor with lounge. The view was breathtaking and the snacks were amazingly delicious and different.
The service was perfection and the food was a true treat. Since we live in Paris we did not try the Ciel Blue their French Restaurant on the 23rd floor but it looks beautiful. The experience and food should be considered even if you do not stay at the hotel.
The gym and pool were great and spotlessly clean. I did not like that we were charged to use it, but such is life. The masseuse was fantastic. A small Japanese woman that truly knows the art of massage and you leave feeling renewed. Treat yourself or a loved to her expertise. They are opening a new spa, which will add another layer to your experience.
It is worth going to Hotel Okra for the weekend as a get away or to forget about the daily grind and just pamper your self. You do not even have to leave the hotel. It is like an oasis unto itself and a wonderful alternative to the busy city center of Amsterdam.
It is also a great place to go with a group of friend or for corporate team building. The hotel conducts cooking classes with their prized chef in the lower level studio kitchen.
I must admit I was reluctant to stay away from Amsterdam’s bustling center, but to be honest I am so happy we did; it added to my experience in a good way and not take away from it as I had feared.

Room Tip: If you can stay on the executive floor - we had a suite that was remarkable.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ralph11Paris_France
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Fantastic hotel to stay in Amsterdam. The friendliest and most helpful staff I have ever come across. At check in Louis Tency helped us organise trips and restaurants and each day offered more ideas. He recommended an Indonesian restauant that was well worth a trip. The swimming pool was a nice start to the day and allowed us to enjoy the wonderful breakfast . We tried the Teppanyaki restaurant which was fun with great food. We found the location easy to manage and taxis were easy to get and inexpensive. Could not recommend this hotel highly enough . A lot of hotels could learn from the staff at the Okura

Room Tip: we had triple rooms which reduced the price. Rooms were big enough to easily accomodate the 3rd bed
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank jsimpso3
Reviewed 11 November 2012

It is a very nice place to stay in Amsterdam. Check in was fast, room was very big with king size bed, desk, small seating area, couple big windows and complementary Nespresso. The bathroom is very nice and in our room was design for handicap accessibility. Deep bathtub and separate shower stall with telephone and overhead rain shower. The hotel is very close to a tram stop; tram 25 (it goes to downtown) and 12 (it goes to the museum district). Services from laundry or housekeeping are always fast. Room service gives you the time they will deliver your meal and they are on time. Staff is very professional and friendly. My husband scooter broke in the middle of the street and started to rain; we have no idea where we were, and there were no taxis on the street. My husband called the Okura's concierge and he sent us a taxi immediately; at the hotel they had their engineer fixing the scooter If you are tired and feel like eating in the hotel you are in luck, they have 2 star awarded Michelin restaurants: Ciel bleu and Yamazato. The Teppanyaki restaurant Sazanka is also superb. La Camelia is the breakfast restaurant, it is busy. I think needs maybe one or two more waitresses. Breakfast is good and if you haven't try Japanese Breakfast you can also order it here. I did and it was a totally different experience for breakfast to me and I enjoyed it. We definitely go back to Okura hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business