Hotel Okura Amsterdam
US$137
US$448
US$423
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Couture(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$464
US$354
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$254
US$186
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$185
US$366
US$240
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$147
US$115
2,723 results
All reviewsciel bleuserre restaurantteppanyaki restaurantmichelin starred restaurantshealth clubpillow menuexecutive floorcorner roomturn down servicede pijpcity centretop floorfive star hoteljunior suitebeautiful hotelrooftop barnespresso machine
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I was there for a conference. It is almost a Japanese hotel, modern marble and glass, with some wood. It had the small amenities we're use to from Japan. But it was amusing to see two hostesses in kimono (who are there for Japanese guests) striding along western style. The service was great, the facilities good, the rooms were good and you can get them with nice views of the city. The bathroom was middle-of-the-road Euro, but it worked well. The WiFi was baaaaad.

It is definitely not central (I consider this a feature), and one can sit on a bench by the canal just outside, take a boat ride, walk to a number of neighborhoods with good restaurants, etc. But it is out in the neighborhoods, next to De Pijp (hip and funky). On the other hand, it does have Ciel Bleu, which merits the two stars, and the Yamazato (one star), which is the best Japanese meal I have had outside of Japan. The breakfast buffet was small, but sufficient to my small breakfast needs. They also serve a good Japanese breakfast if you ask. And they were generous with the espresso.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I stayed at Hotel Okura for three nights for a business conference. I would prefer a different location if I come to Amsterdam for leisure, but for that occasion hotel’s closeness to the airport was a plus. Hotel’s huge modern building dominates the neighborhood, and guests do not miss local spirit, as one of the city’s canals is right behind the hotel. From the very first minutes upon arrival I started noticing some very well thought-through details at Okura. For example, there are several small benches by the reception desk, allowing guests to place their bags/coats on. Then, a receptionist proactively offers a city map during check-in. Lifts are equipped with screens, which inform you about main amenities on each floor and show direction to rooms. The room was also very hi-tech, as everything (including curtains) was managed by remote controls, located by the bed. I had a corner room and enjoyed great view in two directions. The room was stylish and functional, equipped with an iron and an ironing board. The breakfast was great and the service – reasonably good. I understood that they have special Japanese/Asian breakfast menu as well.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 December 2012

stayed for one night
staff very professional
rooms good
ate in the Japanese restaurant which was exceptional when one is eating alone when on business seven small courses pass the time and send the taste buds to heaven.
breakfast was exceptional.
slightly out from the main shopping but only a ten minute tram ride
booked on trivago two days prior and got fantastic deal for a leading hotel of the world

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 December 2012

I will cover the amazing Ciel Bleu (the hotel's restaurant) in a separate review. The hotel itself we booked into for one night (Christmas day), and we chose this hotel because we wanted to eat in the Ciel Bleu. The hotel itself was easy to find and parking, which is usually 35 euros, was free because it was Christmas. We were in room 1609 and had a view of Amsterdam. The room itself wasn't too bad apart from a few things:

- the ONLY shelf in the bathroom was level with the top of my knee, which would have been ideal if I was 6 years old or in a wheelchair, but gives you backache otherwise

- there was no 'lip' on the shower so when you have a shower you get water all over the floor which is annoying. The bathmat didn't stop this

- the information on the TV is out of date, we were told about things which were 'going to be completed in 2008' and a lot of the facts are incorrect and/or outdated. Also the remote control was fiddly to use and it took about 3 seconds between pressing a button and anything happening.

- the shower wasn't hot enough. This is a big problem in a supposedly 5 star hotel. It was 'quite warm' but I like my shower water hot and it didn't get that high.

- the wi-fi was horrendously slow

The bed was comfortable. The heating/air-con was easy to control. We got a complimentary chocolate cake. There was a minibar (no price list though) which we did not use.

We had 2 drinks in the lobby downstairs. 31 euros is a bit much for a gin and tonic and a glass of wine and the server didn't know what time the other bars opened and couldn't make us a cocktail or tell us which brand of gin they stocked.

The breakfast was awful. We ordered a tea and a coffee but it look over 20 minutes to come and then my fiance's coffee came in a huge thermos (about 8 servings!) and it was too strong to drink. The food itself wasn't very impressive. The fresh fruit was OK, then there was Stollen (actually the person before me grabbed the last piece and there was no more), plastic cheese/ham, overcooked bacon, undercooked scrambled eggs, baked beans with a skin on top and a few other things which weren't that good. Breakfast was 30 euros p.p. so a poor deal.

Overall the hotel was OK and I'd probably say equivalent to a 3 star but no more. I wouldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the higher floors if you want a better view
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Hotel_OkuraAmsterdam, Manager at Hotel Okura Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Dear Victel,
Thank you very much for your feedback. Your comments are shared with the involved departments. We regret to hear we did not meet your expectations. Could you please send us your contact details via feedback@okura.nl so we can contact you about this matter? Thank you!

Reviewed 21 December 2012

True 5 * hotel and service. Rooms are nice. I stayed in 703, a corner room, with some extra square meters and a great bathroom. Lobby area has a great welcoming area and a very good restaurant. Staff, starting with the doormen go the extra mile. I enjoyed the Pool & Spa together with my young son which was no problem, again great reception by Gymstaff. Hotel has renowned restaurants, french (Ciel Bleu) and japanese. There is good (valet) parking. Great value for money, beats most other 5* hotels.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family