“Nice hotel.Good price but far from tourist spots,not in a very nice area” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Okura Amsterdam

Hotel Okura Amsterdam
Ranked #27 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Mexico
“Nice hotel.Good price but far from tourist spots,not in a very nice area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel is very very nice, situated in a not very pretty area, although the restaurant faces the canal.
Pros: good price for the kind of hotel it is
nice views , big windows in the rooms,
Cons: bed are in the soft side
concierge is not excellent
Some rooms have a big glass wall to the bathroom with a roll down curtain, but still not very private.
A lot of light enters the room due to the wall to wall windows.
We did not use the michelin star restaurant. The menu was in the elevator, and the prices were
outrageous.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is reputedly the best hotel in Amsterdam and it did not disappoint. The rooms are beautiful. The value, booked late through getaroom, was extraordinary. One missed opportunity in an otherwise top-class hotel is that the Okura's ground-floor public areas are cold and uninviting. I took a colleague to my hotel room instead. The city is within walking distance for anyone of reasonable mobility and the river district to the south of Amsterdam, where the hotel is situated, is a pleasant residential area with shops and pavement cafes. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Rome
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I spent a long week-end at the Okura Hotel in Amsterdam with my family this June. My choice was determined by the availability of an advantageous flight & hotel package deal with Expedia.
Although I had visited Amsterdam many times in the past - staying at many illustrious hotels, including the Amstel, the Hotel de l’Europe and the Pulitzer - I had never stayed in this property before. Never mind: this was clearly a “better late than ever” case!
The hotel is perfectly appointed, spotlessly clean and extremely user-friendly. By visiting the hotel’s website, customers are encouraged to contact the Concierge even before showing up to the hotel. I decided to take up on this suggestion, and I was not disappointed: the Concierge was able to come up with extremely useful directions to get to the place and also with a number of dining options coherent with my indications. And, during my stay, they were always prepared to be of help: full marks to all of them.
Check-in procedures are smooth, and it could not be different: the front desk is manned with enough agents to handle any foreseeable peak in arrivals.
The hotel is also home to a number of restaurants, two of which have been awarded Michelin stars. Unfortunately the one-star Japanese restaurant Yamazato was closed for refurbishment during my stay, so I had to give up on it.
At the same time, I could not bring myself to foot the bill of a dinner for four at the very expensive, two-Michelin-stars-rated “Ciel Bleu” restaurant at the top floor, so I settled for a dinner at the more affordable Serre restaurant at the ground floor. The Serre proved to be a good option and delivered excellent food at reasonable prices in a very nice setting alongside one of the canals. The only glitch was the inexperience of the waiters. The one assigned to our table even spilled a non-negligible quantity of our (quite expensive) Pouilly Fumé on the table without even offering an apology… I guess this is because in the Netherlands waiting at tables is not a profession in itself, so you can only rely on students that are there to finance a portion of the cost of their studies. But the small incident did not spoil my evening in the slightest.
The real drawback of this place is that breakfast is not usually part of the arrangement, and – even worse - it comes at a cost of over € 30.00 per person… As I was not prepared to break the bank, I decided to explore the options available in the neighborhood – which, although not without glitches themselves – were at least more reasonably priced.
But all in all this place deserves a five out of five rating and I shall certainly come back.

2 Thank MagisterRome
Homestead, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed three nights prior to a Baltic Cruise. Arrived early morning from US and checked in without any delay. Staff was efficient,friendly and helpful. Room was beyond comfortable and serviced multiple times each day. As mentioned in prior reviews, curtains were pulled, turn down service, robes, slippers, etc. In room refreshments were thoughtful and varied, room service orders arrived on time if pre-ordered or promptly after an order was placed. They were beautifully served and delicious. We walked to the city center in about 20 minutes ( I'm 71) along beautiful streets with a variety of shops and homes, and the street markets. Loved that as much as the museums and exhibits. People were very friendly and helpful if we needed direction on our walks. Hotel is adjacent to a canal and has a lovely garden as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a Canal View
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

On arrival we were greeted by a lovely pleasant girl who explained everything about the hotel she gave us a map of the city details on trams etc. Our room was on the 15th floor it was a corner room with amazing views. The room was very spacious and bright and immaculate. It had a well stocked mini bar and everything you should require from dressing gowns to the choice of pillows. We visited the health club which had a lovely pool and jacuzzi the only complaint would be the sauna it was so small and people were waiting to use it.
The twenty three bar is very nice with great views however drinks are were expensive.
The hotel is around a 15 minute drive from the airport situated in a lovely area with nice restaurants about a 10 minute walk away. The tram stops outside the hotel (number 12) to take you to the museum area from there take tram number 5 to take you down town.
Will love to return again soon

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
Alloa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights recently, on a very rare break away from children. I managed to spot a last-minute deal, otherwise it would have been completely out of our price range.
I've stayed in many 5 star hotels over the years and feel few really are particularly deserving of those stars but this hotel is. Excellent staff, not too stuffy. Room amenities were great - comfiest bed and pillow ever :-) and very quiet. BTW, don't panic about the glass-walled bathroom (I did a little when I saw the pictures). There's a blind that comes down.

We were very lucky because our room was upgraded to a junior suite to give us a better view.

It's true that it is a bit further out the city centre than I had quite anticipated. I thought we wouldn't mind the walk but it was a bit far and the two trams was a bit of a faff. But, it's in a lovely residential area (has a 'west end' type feel) with plenty of cafes & restaurants nearby. As a result we didn't dine in the hotel at all (and partly because the top class restaurants get booked up by locals on weekends). We did have a cocktail in the bar on the 23rd floor which has to be done I think!

The only thing I would say was a disappointment was the 'spa'. Personally I don't think a pool with treatment rooms qualifies as a spa. The pool area was being renovated so only one tiny sauna was available (in the ladies room). Other than that, it's an average hotel pool with a jacuzzi. We paid, I think, 15 Euros each to access, which given the basic facilities is pretty poor. (I'm happy to pay to access other hotel spas where there are a variety of thermal experiences but not just to access the pool and a hot tub).

That aside, it's a great hotel that I would highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

While Hotel Okura Amsterdam is located a little further out from most tourist attractions, it is a welcomed retreat from the rest of the city. The Okura name is known for excellence, and this hotel branch is no exception. The rooms were spacious, and welcoming-- it was fun to return to our room only to have the curtains open automatically upon our arrival. Everything about our stay was perfect, I couldn't have asked for anything better. After staying at multiple Okura hotels worldwide, I will continue to show loyalty to this brand!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family