“What you call a five star!”

Hotel Okura Amsterdam
Ranked #27 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Amazing service as soon as they took our luggage and opened our doors to the taxi!

Easy check in with all you need info for its facilities and near by attractions

Great room with a view over the city. Most comfortable bed on our stay. Amazing bath and shower where you can watch tv to.

Room service felt like royalty. 24 hour service and hot food on a table is brought to you and cleared at your request

Staff are absolutely top service!

Can't comment on the pool as was out of service

Great location to rent bikes from the hotel also to get everywhere you need

You do need to lay for a lot of extra things however it's a five star so what can you expect

I wish I had tipped for service as in a rush I had forgotten and feel really bad

We ended up booking our trip last minute which was great they could fit us in. We also cancelled at our other B&B for the last few nights to keep it cheap however we wanted to stay in this hotel as it was too good to be true
Thank you for an amazing stay in Amsterdam

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Okura Amsterdam

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Having just spent a week in Tokyo, there was a sense of 'been there done that' when checking into the Okura and having dinner at the restaurant. However almost every part of my stay was outstanding, from the delightful staff (perhaps something to do with the Dutch still being in the WC), to the food at the restaurant.
The only negative is that many of my other stays at other hotels will be judged by this visit. If you are in Amsterdam, please visit the Japanese restaurant you will not be disappointed. The rooms are smart, and staff are polite and very helpful. Its a rare event when you have nothing to complain about!

Excellent, and look forward to going back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sam s
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel is definitely deserving of its five star rating. The only drawback is it is about a 20 minute walk to city center. Our room on the 15th floor gave us a Birdseye view of Amsterdam. Situated on a canalin s'more residential area it allows you to observe the locals.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We had 2 side by side rooms that were very large. King size bed in 1 room and 2 full sized beds in the other. Very comfortable and nicely appointed bathrooms with 2 free standing sinks, full sized tub with tv and separate shower.

Amsterdam is a very crowded city, and this hotel is away from the tourist section. The area is nice and quiet, a wonderful oasis after a long day of museum visits. The tram is right outside the hotel and the concierge can sell you tickets...convenient! The neighbor has nice restaurants nearby.

Two things that were not customer friendly...when checking in the front desk advised our total cost and stated Euros. We paid with our credit card assuming that it would be billed in Euros since that is what was stated to us at check in. We were not asked if we wanted to be billed in dollars or Euros, and after returning home our bill was in dollars and charged a fee. We did not bill anything in dollars on our trip....pulling out receipt....after trip....in tiny print from Hotel Okura said we had choice but is now charged in dollars and can't be changed. We were not informed at the front desk. This was the only fee we were charged during our entire vacation.

The hotel also put a hold on our credit card for the full amount of stay, not just a small amount for any incidentals. Imagine our surprise at the end of a 3 week trip, when trying to make a purchase, the hotel still had a hold on the full amount of the money. Now we needed to call the front desk, and they immediately released the hold, BUT this is not professional service. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel is very very nice, situated in a not very pretty area, although the restaurant faces the canal.
Pros: good price for the kind of hotel it is
nice views , big windows in the rooms,
Cons: bed are in the soft side
concierge is not excellent
Some rooms have a big glass wall to the bathroom with a roll down curtain, but still not very private.
A lot of light enters the room due to the wall to wall windows.
We did not use the michelin star restaurant. The menu was in the elevator, and the prices were
outrageous.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is reputedly the best hotel in Amsterdam and it did not disappoint. The rooms are beautiful. The value, booked late through getaroom, was extraordinary. One missed opportunity in an otherwise top-class hotel is that the Okura's ground-floor public areas are cold and uninviting. I took a colleague to my hotel room instead. The city is within walking distance for anyone of reasonable mobility and the river district to the south of Amsterdam, where the hotel is situated, is a pleasant residential area with shops and pavement cafes. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I spent a long week-end at the Okura Hotel in Amsterdam with my family this June. My choice was determined by the availability of an advantageous flight & hotel package deal with Expedia.
Although I had visited Amsterdam many times in the past - staying at many illustrious hotels, including the Amstel, the Hotel de l’Europe and the Pulitzer - I had never stayed in this property before. Never mind: this was clearly a “better late than ever” case!
The hotel is perfectly appointed, spotlessly clean and extremely user-friendly. By visiting the hotel’s website, customers are encouraged to contact the Concierge even before showing up to the hotel. I decided to take up on this suggestion, and I was not disappointed: the Concierge was able to come up with extremely useful directions to get to the place and also with a number of dining options coherent with my indications. And, during my stay, they were always prepared to be of help: full marks to all of them.
Check-in procedures are smooth, and it could not be different: the front desk is manned with enough agents to handle any foreseeable peak in arrivals.
The hotel is also home to a number of restaurants, two of which have been awarded Michelin stars. Unfortunately the one-star Japanese restaurant Yamazato was closed for refurbishment during my stay, so I had to give up on it.
At the same time, I could not bring myself to foot the bill of a dinner for four at the very expensive, two-Michelin-stars-rated “Ciel Bleu” restaurant at the top floor, so I settled for a dinner at the more affordable Serre restaurant at the ground floor. The Serre proved to be a good option and delivered excellent food at reasonable prices in a very nice setting alongside one of the canals. The only glitch was the inexperience of the waiters. The one assigned to our table even spilled a non-negligible quantity of our (quite expensive) Pouilly Fumé on the table without even offering an apology… I guess this is because in the Netherlands waiting at tables is not a profession in itself, so you can only rely on students that are there to finance a portion of the cost of their studies. But the small incident did not spoil my evening in the slightest.
The real drawback of this place is that breakfast is not usually part of the arrangement, and – even worse - it comes at a cost of over € 30.00 per person… As I was not prepared to break the bank, I decided to explore the options available in the neighborhood – which, although not without glitches themselves – were at least more reasonably priced.
But all in all this place deserves a five out of five rating and I shall certainly come back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family