Best Western Dam Square Inn
Excellent 5/5
Hotel Damrak(Amsterdam)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsdam squaregreat locationnieuwe kerkhard boiled eggstrain stationcentral locationcold meatscontinental stylestay there againyogurtfacing the streetbreakfast was includedthe red light districtcafes and restaurantsnice breakfastminute walktea and coffee
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We spent 6 nights here the first week of December. The rooms, while small by US standards, are more than adequate, very good sized for European rooms, and well laid out. We were on the third floor and found the room to be very quiet, despite the central location. The continental breakfast was more than adequate and everything was fresh and quickly restocked. While all of this was fine, there are two primary reasons to choose this hotel:
1. Location: While the hotel is on a quiet side-street, it is very centrally located. The choices of restaurants, bars and shops within a 5 minute walk are amazing.
2. The Staff: As others have commented on, the staff here is top-notch. A special kudos to Hussain at the front desk; he helped make our stay great. The hotel also provided all the guests with a St. Nicholas Day gift (we were there on December 5th). What a great touch! This will be our "go to" hotel for our future trips to Amsterdam.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank WannaTravelGuy
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed here over Xmas break. Room ready upon arrival. Standard double room...small by American standards, but adequate for a few days. Hot water kettle was a big plus. Lobby and breakfast room were clean and inviting. Breakfast was fine - European style. Lobby was clean and inviting. Staff were really nice and fun...spent some pleasant time with Mustafa the night front desk man/bartender. Very nice guy! Really quiet street 100m from Dam Square. A nice coffeeshop (Barraka) right across the street. Also a nice cafe and a few good looking bars. 10 min walk to Centraal. Within 30 min walk of everything as far as Vondelpark. I highly recommend!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BCKL78
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I have stayed here about 5 times now,the staff are so friendly nothing is to much trouble,rooms are basic but very clean.tea & coffee making facilities.Convienent for eating out,shopping .!0 mins walk to Anne Frank Museum ,art galleries .

Room Tip: Ask for a south side room on top floor,if possible.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here got 2 nights
Room was small and there was a constant background drainage smell, not pleasant but not enough to ask for a room change.
There was a chocolate wrapper stuffed into the top of the headboard which wasn't the best regarding the cleaning.
Perfect central location in pleasant area
Lovely coffee shop directly opposite
Breakfast was fine for buffet breakfast with good service
Very pleasant staff
Had a slight problem with them requiring more euros when leaving, after getting fed up with arguing regarding extra cost for room we paid and left !
Only for our son to get text !! (Who also booked another room) to say sorry ..We should have refunded rather the recharged the euros
Son left items in room just confectionary gifts but on my message I was told "nothing was found" ! .. On my questioning of this I was then told the said items were found but disposed of ! ?
They were boxed confectionary gifts that were from lovely store and not cheap.
I wasn't expecting them to be dispatched to me free of charge but the fact that I was originally told they were not found has left me with a pretty sour taste ..and a slight feeling a small untruth.
Overall the hotel was in a prime spot.
The room was very dark.
The heating you could regulate to your own comfort, which was great as it was very hot in there.
Our bed was a tad on the soft side to the point I sank into the mattress so far I awake with shoulder pain on the first night .
It was pretty quiet hotel due to extra internal door between door entrance and sleeping
area .
Would I recommend this hotel ?
For the central location most defiantly,
The staff were really helpful and obliging
Just a couple of incidents that have prevented me from giving the 5* rating I could have :(

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Just came back from a one night stay (business and pleasure) and this hotel covered all my bases. The location was excellent, the double room tidy and clean, the breakfast sufficient and the staff friendly.

Room Tip: Dont be put off by the location being down an alleyway
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business