“To expensive for the value”

Amsterdam Tropen Hotel
Ranked #135 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 20 July 2013

The NH Hotels look better in the pictures than in the reality, the rooms look like they would need a refurbishment and the overall price for this hotel is to high for the value it provides. The location was ok, near a tram line that goes directly to the center. The Internet works very bad and the breakfast is ok but not worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
1  Thank Valentin301

Reviewed 17 July 2013

The hotel is in a quiet residential neighbourhood. Staff are helpful, rooms are nice and clean. Internet connection, like in the other NH hotels, is free of charge but accessible with the vouchers available at the reception that you need to renew every 24 hrs. The highlights of NH Tropen were the healthy organic breakfast options provided in the morning, and the laundry room on the ground floor which includes a washing mashine, drier and iron & ironing board. You can operate the machines with 2 tokens bought at the reception for 5 euros. Also for people checking out very early in the morning, the hotel makes a nice gesture leaving tea, coffee and cookies in the lobby.
The neighbourhood is very cosmopolitan and lively, but seems mostly safe. There are many shops, cafes, beer houses and restaurants nearby. A large park with a lake, tropical museum and zoo are nearby attractions. City center is very accessible either by taking tram 9 in front of the hotel, or walking for 30 min. The hotel also rents bicycles in this very cycling-friendly city.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Oya A
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I enjoyed my stay at NH Tropen hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was tidy and comfortable. The breakfast was varied and healthy. And there were bunnies playing in the park next to the hotel:) I definitely enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The only thing I can criticize about the hotel was the Internet speed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
3  Thank MaharetKeter
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the NH Tropen for 3 nights. It is in a fantastic location, situated right next to the beautiful and idyllic Oosterpark and various pubs/cafes in the area. The Roots Festival took place while we were staying there and we went on the last day and had a blast.

The no.9 tram takes you straight to the hotel and the journey time is only 8 minutes so do not take any notice of when other reviewers moan about it being right outside the centre of everything, the journey is so straightforward . This is my 6th time to Amsterdam and staying at the Tropen made this trip even more memorable.

We ate out for the duration of our stay so I cannot comment on what the food tasted like in the hotel. I do know they charge €19 for breakfast which is a bit pricey. The bars on the main strip were pretty expensive too, I paid €7.50 for a Corona beer, that was from Teasers bar. If you look around you would most likely find it cheaper. On the last night we found a lovely Indian restaurant called Memories of India. The food was to die for and the service was excellent.

Back to the Tropen, on arrival the receptionist was very pleasant and helpful although I did have to pay €8 City Tax. The room was lovely and as I had requested in advance we got a comfy double bed rather than twin beds and a beautiful view oveooking Oosterpark. The shower was very powerful, I could have stayed underneath it all day!

For anyone wishing to stay here I would definitely say go for it. To me it is in a brilliant location, the supermarket is across the road and there was a hair and beauty shop which specialised in Afro-Carribean products which was a godsend as most of my toiletries were confiscated at the airport!!

We would without a doubt stay at the Tropen again. I love Amsterdam :)

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Bambi6987
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Aside from the poor lighting in the bathroom, broken light-up mirror and lack of any mirror outside the bathroom vanity - it was fine! Small room but clean, comfortable, nice staff, in-room wifi, tram stop outside hotel, not far from town center by tram (10 minutes), very nice but expensive breakfast buffet. Windows in room 404 faced the main street - nice view and the windows opened up. Strange toilets... (but then I'm American). I rather liked it! (But then I rather liked everything about Amsterdam!)

Room Tip: Make sure the bathroom light-up makeup mirror works, and check if there is a mirror outside the bath...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jbw328
Reviewed 2 July 2013

So I was looking for affordable accommodation for a 2 night stay for me and my friends and ended up booking the tropen through lastminute.com as it was only £70 per person and I thought it was a bargain! I had read reviews on here and was a little worried about what it would be like but I had nothing to worry about.

The hotel is a little bit away from central amsterdam but this was no problem as we all purchased a 48 hour tram ticket for 12 euros and regularly used the number 9 tram which was great as it stopped right outside the hotel! When we got to the hotel checkin was fine and the lady on reception was really nice, the rooms were basic but really clean and we were given clean towels on both days. The location of the hotel was really nice and we all felt it was nicer being away from the hustle an bustle of dam square as we were able to get a good nights sleep.

The hotel was by no means 5 star but for the price we paid it was everything we wanted and if your are just looking for a clean base to stay this is defiantly a good hotel to stay in!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Natalies1984
Reviewed 30 May 2013

As standards go this is an acceptable place to stay ideally located far enough out without the hustle bustle of the city centre, close to good tram links 10 mins into Amsterdam, friendly helpful staff, a pleasant environment but the rooms are a tad small, the TV behind the times, the lift quaint. Nevertheless the internet is reasonable, the hot water constant and overall I would use again.

Room Tip: Higher up and preferably facing away from the road
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple