“Fantastic 'lastminute deal'”

Ranked #133 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Fantastic 'lastminute deal'”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Stayed here at the beginning of august for 3 nights via lastminute secret hotels deal. Was apprehensive upon looking the hotel up on the net, you take tram 9 from outside amsterdam centraal it take about ten minutes to reach the tropen. The hotel is very secure and not located near the hustle and bustle of the city centre, there is a comfortable seating area which is great for a drink on a warm evening, reception staff were helpful, lift operated by room keys , we stayed in 203, not a high floor but a terrific view of the tropen museum ! , windows opened wide for fresh air, and there is a safe in the room. Bathroom spotless lovely power shower and seperate room for toilet. Housekeeping very polite and attentive! , no plug points beside beds so its abit of a stretch !, did not eat here as we thought breakfast was overpriced $20 each for continental! , on a nice day i would reccomend a walk through the park behind the hotel , its very pretty and there rabbits everywhere! , we ate one evening at cafe milo just up the road on the right of the hotel i would reccommend this place for a meal, food and service brilliant! This was my first time in amsterdam and i wouldnt even contemplate staying anywhere else next time! Only downside was the bar prices. Gave my purse to my friend to get herself a glass of wine , this glass of wine was $10 !! Lesson learned! Ha! Enjoy this lovely hotel!!!

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I booked two rooms in this hotel as part of a package with lastminute.com at a good price, inc KLM flights from Leeds. I was very happy with my choice. Stayed 3 nights July/August 2013. Good reception staff and easy check in. Got a taxi from airport, expensive 65 euros but there are tram options. Lots of good facilities in hotel - restaurant, bar, computers in reception, luggage room, garden with seating, plus very secure. Fenced and gates which were locked on an evening. Had to use room card to access the lift, so we felt very safe.
Our rooms were on the 9th floor with magnificent views of the Oosterpark right next to the hotel. rooms were clean and had good toiletry products. The toilets and bathrooms were separate which was a nice touch and convenient. TV, hairdryer and tea and coffee making facilities ( need to add de-caff coffee) . Good information booklet on desk/dressing table. Lacked mirror above handbasin in loo and above the dressing table but had a full length mirror in wardrobe. Great directional reading lights over beds. No AC but windows opened wide and as it was 9 storeys up it was safe to have them open. No flies or mosquitos at that height too. A fridge would have been nice and there was space for one. Good safe with easy instructions.
Left luggage in luggage room, at no charge, on the last day until 13.30 and didnt have to vacate rooms until 12.00, which was very convenient.
Walked into centre each day and back 2.9 kms each way. lots to see along the way. Can also get tram outside hotel or a hop on hop off canal boat at 10.35 from canal stop Tropen Hotel and Museum. It takes you right to central station or any stop on the way. The colour of the line then changes so you can stay on to the Anne Frank Museum, which we did. The ticket costs 22.50 euros per day and you can use any line (each route is a different colour) and have as many journeys as you want, its a really nice way to travel around the city, so tranquil. The commentary is good too.
Over the road from the hotel is a great cafe/restaurant/bar called SPARGO. Food excellent, specials tastey - try the Salmon encroute with salad and fries - delicious, comes on a bed of spinach, mange tout and green beans. The puff pastry is light and the salmon steak massive and moist. Staff are all really nice and helpful.Also had a lunch there and a breakfast - couldnt fault any. Great hot choc with liquers too. There are shopping streets with markets just off Linnaeustraat near the hotel. Mixed ethnic area and shops geared for local people with supermarkets and clothes shops, even a McDs, if you like that sort of thing. Nice croissants from market.
So choose this hotel and dont worry about the distance outside the centre, it really isnt a problem.
Tip- Book the Anne Frank Museum on line in advance or be prepared for a massive 2hr plus queue in August but just queue for the Van Gogh, the queue moves quite quickly.
Only thing that was poor was that receptionist told us that she could book a taxi back to the airport at the rate of 48 euros, which ended up being 10 euros more. In fact the taxi driver wanted to charge us 70 plus euros until we complained. Also the taxi came an hr early even though we specifically asked for it at 13.30. Easliy sorted out though but should have correct facts. Plus dont buy water from reception as it costs 3 euros for a small bottle!

Room Tip: 9th floor overlooking the park very good rooms (905 and 906) - we didn't have AC and I was surpr...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I'm a native Londoner. I went to Amsterdam for the first time in June '13 to celebrate my birthday and the reuniting of my partner and I after 4 months apart.

I, like some others that have posted, purchased my stay in NH Tropen via a Lastminute package.

I read some reviews once I had booked and became a bit nervous as some were stating that the service was terrible, the staff unhelpful and the rooms unclean etc.

Upon arrival I realised how excellent the location was, the tram link was outside the hotel and it took 10 minutes to get to Centraal. The lady I encountered at the desk was obliging, patient and helpful with all my queries regarding check-in, luggage storage and local info. They then accommodated an early check-in for me at 10am as they had a readily prepared room. I was MOST pleased.

The receptionist escorted my partner and I to our room which was a perfect size for our short stay, CLEAN with a big window letting in lots of natural light. The towels were clean as were the bed linens which was the main thing for me! The wifi connection as strong and didn't fail me as I also had to touch base with work.

Considering I had paid £130 for a 2 night package including a return flight and taxes I got more than what I had paid for.

Granted the architect didn't have the keenest eye, the outside of the building is very art deco (not a personal fan) but one can still appreciate it. Especially in amongst all the luscious green trees surrounding it despite being in a city (greenery is refreshing as I live in central London).

The following morning we took advantage of their breakfast buffet, they had everything one could possibly want for breakfast, then went out to explore Amsterdam on a full stomach.

After reaching back to the hotel very late and realising most food places close early, my partner and I were ravenous so we hit Just-Eat website. Unfortunately, I do not speak or understand the language which made ordering very difficult and as a result a bag of frozen food was delivered! On a whim I went down to reception, the young man that was on night duty just about managed to hold back his giggles after informing him of my mistake and offered to cook our food! Keeping in mind this was around 3am. What a sweet-heart! I was absolutely over the moon and so grateful!

Check-out was a breeze and the lady wished us well on our journey.

I would like to thank all the staff for making our stay a very pleasant one.

I will stay again in a heartbeat!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back of the building on a higher floor have a lovely view of the treetops.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
beccles suffolk
Reviewed 28 July 2013

this was a secret hotel in a lastminute package - and what a very nice surprice having been to amsterdam for over 30 visit this was the first in this area. Right next to a park - with park view from our window, large spacious room and very friendly staff. As for the distance from central the tram stop straight outside. The walk in was a lovely stroll especially in the sunshine and best of all close enough to bars, rembriendsplein & liedersplien areas. we didnt eat in the hotel - however supermarket within 200 mtrs along with local bar/resturant. Due to location a lovely nights sleep

Room Tip: room facing park for a lovely night sleep
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 20 July 2013

The NH Hotels look better in the pictures than in the reality, the rooms look like they would need a refurbishment and the overall price for this hotel is to high for the value it provides. The location was ok, near a tram line that goes directly to the center. The Internet works very bad and the breakfast is ok but not worth the money.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

1 Thank Valentin301
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 July 2013

The hotel is in a quiet residential neighbourhood. Staff are helpful, rooms are nice and clean. Internet connection, like in the other NH hotels, is free of charge but accessible with the vouchers available at the reception that you need to renew every 24 hrs. The highlights of NH Tropen were the healthy organic breakfast options provided in the morning, and the laundry room on the ground floor which includes a washing mashine, drier and iron & ironing board. You can operate the machines with 2 tokens bought at the reception for 5 euros. Also for people checking out very early in the morning, the hotel makes a nice gesture leaving tea, coffee and cookies in the lobby.
The neighbourhood is very cosmopolitan and lively, but seems mostly safe. There are many shops, cafes, beer houses and restaurants nearby. A large park with a lake, tropical museum and zoo are nearby attractions. City center is very accessible either by taking tram 9 in front of the hotel, or walking for 30 min. The hotel also rents bicycles in this very cycling-friendly city.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Oya A
Cluj-napoca, Romania
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I enjoyed my stay at NH Tropen hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was tidy and comfortable. The breakfast was varied and healthy. And there were bunnies playing in the park next to the hotel:) I definitely enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The only thing I can criticize about the hotel was the Internet speed.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business