“A very good stay in a pleasant hotel.”

Amsterdam Tropen Hotel
Ranked #137 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Stayed at the NH Tropen for 4 nights while paying my first visit to Amsterdam. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, and spoke excellent English. My room was a good size, and well appointed - even though it was on the 9th floor, there was never any problem hanging around for an elevator. The bed was comfortable, and there was no shortage of hot water for the shower etc.
Breakfast was also good (buffet style), with a wide variety of cereals, breads, meats, cheeses, fruits, and hot sausages/bacon/eggs.
The hotel is located a little way from the centre of Amsterdam (15 min walk) but the frequency of reasonably-priced public transport just outside (trams and busses) ensures that the location isn't a problem.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ChrisCorn

Reviewed 22 January 2011

Not far from the center, free wifi in the lobby (although need password that only lasts 30 minutes, then need to get a new one), very clean and good breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 December 2010

My son and i spent 3 nights at this hotel in November of this year. When checking in we were asked for 150euro deposit, from credit card. I had a laser card and entered my pin no for 150euro. The girl i was dealing with said "This is'nt a credit card' so i offered cash and paid another 150 euro which i got receipt for. That was fine. we enjoyed our stay and our visit to Amsterdam very much. We checked out on monday , i gave my receipt for cash and got back 146 euro cash, minus price of one pint of beer. Well when i arrived home i discovered they also had taken 150 euro out of my bank account, ie the laser card worked, so now they still owe me 150 euro and have had sereral telephone conversations with manageres She keeps asking for receipt which i had to give her to get my cash back. Still waiting for 150 euro which was taken out of my bank account and will not give up until i receive same + cost of lots of telephone calls. Caitlin Lynch Co Cork Eire . Please give back what ypu owe me.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CaitlinCoCorkEire
Reviewed 21 November 2010

From the Central Station in Amsterdam it cost $25 Euros to get to the NH Tropen in Amsterdam. If you look at a map of Amsterdam the hotel is right next to the Tropen Museum. However, it's a 15-20 minute tram ride to get to the City Center. This was too far from the center of Amsterdam activity to me and most tourists I think.

I purchased my room from another website rather than directly through NH Hotels website. Several amenities were listed that just didn't exist. There was no breakfast included...even though I paid $168 a night. Breakfast was an additional 18 Euros. I was told because of booking through another website that I was not entitled to breakfast even if I had paid more than many guests who booked directly though the hotel's website. There was also no free newspaper because of this as well. Internet was an additional 10.70 Euros for 24 hours.

All of the stores and restaurants in the hotel area close very early - by 6-8pm so if you stay here make sure you eat while you are in the City Center or get food to bring back to the hotel. The hotel restaurant is only open for breakfast and 3 hours during the evening.

It was also listed that this hotel had Tempurapedic Foam mattresses. This is untrue. The mattresses were so hard that it was impossible to sleep on your back. With as much walking around as Amsterdam requires it is nice to come back to a comfortable bed. Honestly I think a thin mattress in a cheap Hostel would be much more comfortable.

The room itself was modernly appointed, however the toilet is literally in a former closet, and the sink in the toilet closet is smaller than an airplane bathroom sink. The shower and another sink are in another room. There is also a closet in the shower room that also contains a safe that will fit most laptop computers and other valuables.

The housekeeping is apparently paid by how many rooms they do. I put out the 'do not disturb' sign to avoid servicing of my room. I was gone several hours and when I returned the sign was turned around to the other side, saying "Please clean my room". The housekeeping lady rushed to my room and told me to please put the "do not disturb" sign inside my door, or she would not get paid for cleaning that room, even though she didn't clean my room. The next day I didn't put out the sign and when I returned, there was a half used bar of soap dropped on the floor and left there, and apparently the housekeeper had decided to use my toilet and there was a large wad of toilet paper in the toilet waiting to be flushed.

I think most travelers would be do much better to either find a hotel in the center of the City or wait until arrival and find a room. Even though I was here during a very busy time, there were still rooms available everywhere for much cheaper.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank struct84
Reviewed 20 November 2010

I stayed here on business mid-November. The staff were friendly and helpful and went out of their way to advise on public transport routes and walking distances. Located next to the Tropen museum, it doesn't look great on the outside, but inside its very nice.

It was spotlessly clean, the rooms were modern and I had a room with a huge window with the view of the park and across the city. There were tea and coffee making facilities and lots of storage space. Wifi is free in the lobby or at cost in the room. The bar had a nice atmosphere.

The location was good; it is about a 15-20 minute walk to the central station but buses and trams stop right outside if you don't fancy the walk.

I wouldn't bother with the breakfast at E18 as there are a number of cafes and bakeries within a couple of minutes walk.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Rachel291
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Was there for several days, part of it for business and part of it for a weekend with wife. The hotel is very nice, very clean, very good breakfast. stuff do try to serve you, giving you good feeling. view from the room was excellent, Tropen museum. Behind hotel there's a beautiful park with ducks and stuff. Tram 9 has a bus station directly in front the hotel. with tram 9 you can get to the center of amsterdam or to the main station.Near hotel there's a very good greek restaurant . ask in hotel.

Defects: During my stay I was in two rooms. one with seperate bathroom/toilet, The bathroom was very inconvenient narrow. The second room was with one bathroom/toilet room . The shower wall was too close to the sink. Although I'm not thin at all , I could have managed, Yet, for some of you it could be inconvenient.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Thats_10
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Stayed here in April 2010 for my 40th, it was our 1st time in Amsterdam. The hotel is very easy to find as the no. 9 tram stops outside. It was about a 10 - 15 minute journey into the centre.
The hotel was in a quiet area the staff were friendly and polite and the room was huge for the 2 of us.
If we ever go back to Amsterdam will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple