“Customer Service!!!”

Ranked #119 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Well this tale deserves a write up. I have stayed a few times with The Victoria and the time before last was awful. The dreaded “One foot around a single bed” box room. It was a show stopper...I was never going to stay there again after that.

My colleague uses TripAdvisor and had entered a review of our stay and had commented on my tiny room. To my utter surprise a couple of weeks, maybe ten days, after the event he informed me that he had received an email from Trip Advisor asking if The Victoria could contact him.

They did so forthwith. It was a direct response to his review on Tripadvisor from the Hotel manager. I hadn't heard of such a thing. The lady was very apologetic and offered to upgrade us to an Urban Suite should we choose to stay with The Victoria again.

We are through Amsterdam all year round on business so we took them up the offer and even the booking was personally taken care of.

We arrived very early in the morning flying in from Africa. This was not a problem for the Hotel, although the rooms were not ready, as expected, they were happy to store our bags as we headed off for an important meeting.

The Suite itself was fairly impressive as a Suite and for Amsterdam Central it was very very good.

Massive and hugely comfortable bed, big flat screens, bright white bathroom finished well and a separate office/sitting area. All pretty new by the looks of things.

Bathrobe provided which should be standard in my opinion.

If I hadn’t have had a free upgrade I would be complaining about the fact that Housekeeping left a big dirty scrubbing sponge on top of my jumper which was on a chair, so room for improvement.

The Staff was pleasant as always, check in staff particularly nice.

Location wise, if you want to be by Centraal Station then you simply can’t do better. The Victoria clearly cares about its guests and their opinions, a quick read of this and the fact that every review is responded to proves that. It is most certainly not the case with the majority of hotels.

They went above and beyond for us and if I am staying in the area again then I will stay there again.

Location is key in Amsterdam and The Victoria is very convenient. The rooms can be mixed but the Urban Suites are pretty sweet.

Most of all though, they clearly care and they clearly try very hard to keep their guests happy.
I am most certainly one of them.

Let us not forget that as customers who have places such as Tripadvisor to post genuine reviews should use it as it should be used. If a hotel cares then they will use Tripadvisor as the very powerful tool that it is. The Victoria clearly gets this. Other Hotels should also. Don't expect to get an upgrade if something is wrong though...this was exceptional, and the fact that we are regular customers has to be considered in also.

Room Tip: If you are travelling alone try not to get one of the few box rooms they have.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Colts_tooth
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Dear KERF_Worldwide,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor and thank you for complimenting our guest services. We indeed take guest feedback very seriously and we do our utmost to serve every guest in the best way possible.
It is great to read that you took our offer and stayed with us again and that this stay has met your expectations.
Thanks again and on behalf of the entire team, we are looking forward to welcome you again to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam in the near future.

Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam

Write a ReviewReviews (4,052)

Reviewed 20 December 2011

stayed here for a weekend away, got an early check-in, great tips from the concierge and a clean comfortable room. Breakfast not great so avoid that if its optional.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul K
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2011

Dear Keenscarlet,

Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your weekend with us. I have shared your compliments with the entire team.
We are looking forward to welcome you again to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam in the near future.

Reviewed 15 December 2011

Had a stopover in Amsterdam whilst on a business trip and spent the night at this hotel. The location is really great when you have limited time in the city, as it is situated in the city centre right across the train station. I got a room in the new part of the hotel, and was really happy with it - clean and quite spacious. Front staff friendly and polite, check-in and check-out were quick and problem free. Recommended, I will definitely stay here again on my next stopover :-)

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank smile81
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2011

Dear Smile81,

Thank you for sharing your review and for recommending our hotel.
On behalf of the entire team, thank your compliments and we are looking forward to welcome you again to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam in the near future when you travel brings you back to the area.

Reviewed 13 December 2011

For 3 days in Amsterdam this is a very good hotel, conveniently located near the Centraal Station, the Maritime Museum, the Old Church, the Dam, the Red District, and the shopping areas.
Rooms (I stayed in 659) are relatively large by Amsterdam standards, though poorly lit. Breakfast was superb!

Room Tip: The hotel is being renovated so make sure you ask for a room in the refurbished area, and not facing...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CostinN
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2011

Dear CostinN,

Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor. It is great to read that you had a nice weekend and you point out some nice places to visit while in Amsterdam.
On behalf of the entire team, we are looking forward to welcome you back to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam in the near future!

Reviewed 11 December 2011

My partner and I booked a late trip for the weekend (for her birthday) and she chose the hotel in question.
Location brilliant, would definately reccommend for this reason alone. Service we personally found was great, the hotel realised it was my partner's birthday (with no prior information) and kindly delivered a lovely card along with a great bottle of red wine and an assortment of tasty sweets!
The hotel lobby and bar area decore was what you would expect from a 4* just unfortnately the rooms we felt let the hotel down.
The rooms could do with a little tlc as carpets were worn and paint chipped or peeling and im not normally someone to pick up on such things but because other areas were very nice it was quite a stark difference. The bathroom was very small and cold but we only stayed one night so this didnt fuss us too much!
To the english staying here there is itv and bbc on the tv however we didnt stay in the room that long as amsterdam has far too much to offer!
In short, if you are someone that wants a swanky hotel with all the home comforts and doesnt really venture much then i would suggest elsewhere (maybe more south). Or if you are in amsterdam for amsterdam and only want someone to crash (with a more upmarket and safer feel than a 'hostel or b&b') then this is perfect and i would definately reccommend this hotel.
If we came back out then we would definately stay here again!
Finally, thanks to the Park Plaza Victoria team for the card and wine and for making it a pleasant stay!

• Stayed: December 2011
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Dear Mgharps,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.
It is great to see that you enjoyed your stay and that we surprised you and your partner with a bottle of wine.
Thank you for recommending Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam and on behalf of the entire team, we are looking forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed 7 December 2011

This hotel is located right infront of the central rail station in amsterdam. The location is more than perfect. The hotel is very clean and comfortable. The rooms are nice. May be the staff are not very friendly but overall they are not bad. I would definitely choose this hotel if i visit amsterdam again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2011

Dear Georgeemadarmanious,

Thank you for your nice compliments about the hotel and for sharing this on Tripadvisor.
It is to bad to read that the staff did not meet your expectations regarding friendliness and we do apologize. We take this very seriously and I will share this with the entire team.
Thank you for staying with us, and I am looking forward to welcome you again to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam when your travel brings you back to Amsterdam.

Reviewed 6 December 2011

The hotel is the first thing you see as you emerge from the Central Station so it's conveniently located for the canal hop-on hop-off water bus and the trams as well being at one end of Amsterdam's main shopping street. Take extreme care crossing the street. The cyclists don't take prisoners!

The main bar, near Reception, was only open from 17:00 to 01:00 during our stay. The other bar, next door to the Brasserie, was open intermittently but you can order a drink in the Brasserie itself.

My experience of the hotel was that the bar, concierge and Brasserie staff were truly excellent. Housekeeping left a lot to be desired though.

In the evening the Brasserie is set up for two different types of service. The tables in the area by the windows are set out with linen tablecloths, silverware and an array of glasses. If you sit here they give you the dinner menu - not extensive but the dishes we had were very good. In the darker section of the Brasserie the seating is more casual as is the menu. This is the place to have breakfast. On the first morning for €12.50 I had a platter with six slices of yellow cheese, a wedge of brie, two slices of ham, two slices of chicken breast and one slice of roast beef with a hard-boiled egg, a fruit yogurt, a basket of bread and croissants, orange juice (it tasted freshly squeezed) and the coffee of my choice Much better value than the buffet breakfast in the other restaurant - this I understand was €23. I ate breakfast in the Brasserie every day and although the items on the platter varied it was always excellent value for money - enough for two people unless you are very hungry.

The hotel has two sections - turn right when you enter for the Urban wing and left for the Victoria wing. The former has been newly refurbished with red and black funky decor. The latter is well past its best with brown/beige rather grubby, and in some places smelly, carpets. Our room (number 231) was quirky. You'd either love it or hate it. It was on two levels. The lower level included the bathroom and a large, but not very comfortably furnished, sitting room with the most appalling lighting I've ever experienced in a hotel. We asked one of the staff who delivered room service to send us up another lamp of some kind as we couldn't see to prepare paperwork for our conference. The lamp never materialised. We had to have the TV switched on to provide additional lighting. The room is built into the eves of one of the bits of the hotel that extend outwards from the main block. To get to the bedroom we had to climb a really steep staircase - more like a ladder really. There was no light over the staircase. I suspect this would fail a health and safety inspection in the UK. We had to position the standard lamp to illuminate the bottom of the stairs and leave it on all night in case we needed to come down to the bathroom in the dark. This meant we had light spillage upwards into the bedroom loft space. The bed was two metres wide which was very nice but there was so little space around it you had to walk sideways to get into bed whilst trying not to bump your head on the beams. There was a strange wheel with sharp spikes in the roof space over the sitting room. Lots of beams - you'd have thought they could have fixed a light to one of them. The only lighting downstairs was the ceiling lamp in the entrance hallway, a small desk lamp and the standard lamp in the corner of the room. No light over the sofa or coffee table or in the wardrobe. The sofa was hard and not at all comfortable.

When we arrived (late at night) the room was freezing. In the dark we didn't notice the low radiator under the bottom of the curtains so tried to generate heat with what turned out to be the airconditioning controls. Turning it up to 23.5 C made no difference whatsoever. Of course, we found the radiator in the morning when we opened all the curtains. You'd have thought housekeeping could have left the radiators on setting 2 or 3 rather than the snowflake setting when they made up the room. On which subject, in a six day stay our room was serviced only once without prompting. We tried taking the do-not-distrub sign off the door when we left our room around nine - the room wasn't serviced. The next day we turned the sign around to the please-clean-my-room side - the room wasn't serviced. I had been reluctant to use this sign as it was the same colour on both sides and I feared the housekeeping staff would at a quick glance think we were displaying the do-not-disturb sign. I had to ring housekeeping at around 15:00 each day to get them to service the room after we'd been out all day since around nine.

I asked for an extra duvet the first morning because we had been too cold to sleep the first night. They failed to provide one. I used one of the pillows as a cushion on the chair downstairs expecting they would provide another pillow upstairs but no such luck.

I might stay here again but only in the Urban wing and I'd go straight to the general manager over any housekeeping issues next time.

I really wanted to rate the hotel three and a half rather than three. It doesn't deserve a four.

Room Tip: If you want clean and modern ask for a room in the Urban wing. Second floor on Damrak side was quie...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Dear BlackAmber,

Thank you for your elaborate review. This really helps us maintain or improve the product and services you may expect from us.
I was dismayed to read that the housekeeping failed in a numerous of ways by not providing the service you asked for and deserve. I forwarded you message to the Housekeeping Manager to take appropriate actions.
Regarding the lightning, I have forwarded you message to our Chief Engineer to look at this matter and to place extra lightning where needed.
Also on behalf of the department heads involved, I apologize for the inconvenience you have encountered.
I am looking forward to your next stay and to meet you in person.