“Stylish, great location, friendly staff”

Ranked #138 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Stylish, great location, friendly staff”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

The overall experience was excellent. The hotel is very stylish and modern and the staff very helpful. It is conveniently located just opposit Amsterdam Centraal Train (rail) Station (which is 15 minutes fron Schipol Airport) and also a Tram Station. The location is very central which makes it easy to walk around Amsterdam centre. The rooms were cleaned daily and were generally in a very good condition. The beds were very relaxing. I would love to stay there again and would definitely reccomend it to people I know.

Room Tip: The rooms on the inside building must be quiter as they don't face the main road. But then you w...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Yiota K,

Thank you for recommending our hotel and for sharing your review on Tripadvisor. It would be our pleasure to welcome you again to Park Plaza Victoria Amasterdam when your travel brings you back to the area.

Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stamford, CT
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I booked my reservation on hotels.com and based largely on mostly positive reviews and comments here on tripadvisor. We arrived into Central Station from Brussels one Sunday evening and rejoiced in the fact that all we had to do in order to check in was walk across the street; positively heavenly after a 3 hour train ride. The hotel is located right in the middle or should I say the top of the action as many attractions lead you South from the hotel entrance. We skipped the restaraunt services and I would suggest the same if part of your trip is to sample all the great foods Amsterdam has to offer. The Hotel from the street seems huge as it appears to have been several before a consolidation at some point. We were greeted with smiles and the check in process was speedy, efficient and got us into our room in no time at all. The room was small as expected for a European destination, who cares, you are there to explore the sites not the hotel room and was decorated nicely in a modern theme. The bathroom was clean and had an awesome shower with a turbo nozzle that made showering enjoyable plus the heated mirror made it possible to use it despite having used the shower. The bed was comfortable and it was nice to have multiple English channels on the tv to fall asleep to; often that is not the case in European hotels in my experience. The concierge service was great, both gentleman that assisted us were pleasant and very helpful with good ideas on where to eat and what to see. Overall, I would suggest this hotel for any reason and would not hesitate to return without hesitation.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank APP470
Dear APP470,

Thank you for your great review. Nice to read that you have enjoyed Amsterdam and that our hotel contributed in your positive experience.
We are looking forward to welcome you back to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam when you visit Amsterdam again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Travelling in Amsterdam for business and the location of this hotel opposite Centraal Station means it's very easy to get to, has all local transport types close by and has Amsterdam literally on your doorstep.

However, the quality of the hotel was very, very poor. The Spa/Pool was not open on the first day I arrived, TV and entertainment system did not work and the food in the restaurant was very poor. The staff appeared sorry for this, but juding by other reviews it is clear customer service is not high on the agenda. Very dissapointing!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Neil R,

Thank you for your review. I am very dismayed to read that you encountered several points that did not meet your expectations. Your remarks concerning the food are shared with the restaurant manager and although a next visit does not rank high in your agenda, I hope that maybe for the future you mention the encountered issues with us immediately so we can act accordingly.
Our apologies for the inconvenience you have encountered.

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 25 February 2012

What's Good?

Location only. Good things about the hotel: 1) The concierges are fabulous - pro active, hands on & make the hotel the success it is. They were wonderful. 2) Brasserie does a good range of value for money & delicious food. 3)The urban suite, we were eventually given, was lovely.

What's not so good?
1) Wrong room assignment After booking via booking.com I contacted the hotel direct to request an upgrade to the Urban Suite etc which was confirmed by email. Upon arrival - we were assigned one room - and told to come back in two hours to be given the key cards. I told them they were assigning the wrong room as I had upgraded to an Urban junior suite - They refused this - and told me I had originally booked a twin room and they had kindly upgraded it to a king double (twin beds to a king bed is an upgrade??). Upon returning after the 2 hours wait...we were assigned another room...despite my protests we were taken to the Victoria wing - and taken to an awful room! I immediately phoned reception & insisted there had been a mistake. Such a bad first impression of a hotel. 2) No early check in option We arrived at 10am - and had to wait for the full 2 hours to get to a room. 3) We were assigned 3 rooms in total (before we could settle in), 1 room upon arrival (which we never saw), another when we went back to collect the keys - and another when I complained it wasn't the room I had upgraded to and already paid for. The reception staff were reluctant to move us and I had to prove from a printed email - that I had a confirmed upgrade. It made me feel awful - as it was a birthday trip - and none of the careful pre arrangements had been carried out (e.g. birthday card, VIP treatment). 3) Reception staff were decidedly unfriendly & disbelieving to the point where we avoided the reception totally. 4) Hotel cards to door didnt work on several occasions - where we had been accidentally checked out several times (by the system??) before our booking was over (meaning the room hadn't been cleaned either). 5) Cleaning staff say 'House keeping...' and enter your room anyway (even if you call out to say you are there) ...we were caught in bed on several occasions (early in the morning)...felt our privacy was invaded and we were always listening for the door to open!
6) We were overcharged (on our credit card) and had already paid for the room via the hotel booking group before we arrived but were told we hadnt been charged and had to a room deposit - then had to pay again on departure - at a completely different rate.

We had to contact the hotel upon our return home and make a case for them to investigate their error and refund us the difference.

All in all - would not return here again...

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite...get everything in writing re your booking and price agreed.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VivecaSingapore
Dear VivecaSingapore,

Thank you for your review and the compliments in the beginning, to bad that these compliments are overshadowed by the negative points you have encountered during your stay. I am sorry that there was so much going on before the right room was allocated. All your comments are shared with the departments involved and also on behalf of them, our sincere apologies.
Although a return visit is not an option for you, I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

I arrived today and was very happy to have the early checking ready. The room was very small, but not bad. However, I am here for 5 days on business and was going to just stay here the entire trip, but now I can't wait to leave. I paid for high speed wifi that is horrible and now I have been sitting at my dinner table for near 1.5 hours with no one saying anything to me. This is unacceptable service.

• Stayed February 2012
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear Rabbitmoondancer,

Thank you for your comment. I am dismayed to read that the service is not meeting your expectations. Please contact the manager on duty or myself directly while you are still staying with us, so we can act accordingly instead of communicating via Tripadvisor.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed here for one night in January. Stayed in a lovely room in the older part if the hotel. Staff very friendly and helpful- couldn't fault it except the cooked items at breakfast were cold. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Lizbob77
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear Lizbob77,

Thank you for sharing your review and compliments to our staff on Tripadvisor. Your comment regarding the cooked items on our breakfast buffet is forwarded to the Food & Beverage manager to take actions.Thank you for making us aware.
Looking forward to welcome you back to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam!