“Dated room”

Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam
Ranked #132 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Went on a business trip for one night only. I got a room (505) in the Urban wing thinking it might be a bit more up to date. The room was large, but veeeerrry dated. Windows towards another wing in the hotel, ie no view and dark. Not cozy at all. Bathroom 3.5, bed 3. Breakfast was ok, 3.5. I will not come back to this hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Bjorn_Haman
There are newer reviews for Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam

Reviewed 27 March 2014

They lost my reservation. They ignored the papers I brought with me, which showed that I paid for room in full. Hotel was completely sold out. They kept me waiting almost two hours until they found my reservation. Then they gave me a room that smelled. There were not other rooms plus I was too tired to deal with any more issues. We had to air out the room every night to get rid of smell. Rooms were dated. Lobby, food and service were great.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank clacdancer
Reviewed 27 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Andrew P
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Just returned from a 2 night/3 day break at this hotel. We were a bit concerned after so many different conflicting reviews, however we are glad we booked this hotel. Ideally situated for all public transport (which was excellent) and very frequent and value for money. The hotel itself was fab, all the staff were very helpful, breakfast was delicious and catered for everyone's desire's, we had an executive room on the 4th floor 409 over looking the canal and Central station, we found the room very large, clean and with an enormous comfortable bed. Would recommend this to anyone

3  Thank 941TRACEYS
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The hotel is perfectly situated just in front of the amsterdam central station. The entrance is just what you expect clean and efficient - the front desk people were efficient and friendly - the room was clean, spacious and well designed. The breakfast was international with hot and cold + beverage (automatic machine but very good results)
If I have to find something wrong I will point out the price for the minibar (i.e 6,5 euro for a bottle of water)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank the_expert_traveler
Reviewed 24 March 2014

booked this hotel as a surprise weekend break for my bfs birthday and it didnt disappoint. Staff were fab, friendly and approachable. hotel and rooms were beautiful and they gave us a free upgrade as it was my partners birthday! beds are amazingly comfortable, best couple of nights sleep ive had in a long time! only down fall i had was showers struggled to get to and stay and a warm enough temperature...
would still definatly recommend staying here!

1  Thank francesca_blundell
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We chose the hotel due to its proximity to the Centraal Station. It was our first time in the city, so we did not want to drag our suitcase too far. The hotel is just over 100m from the main exit of the station. Its location is also perfect for the trams, buses and canal cruises; they are just across the road.

We stayed in the older part, rather than the minimalist "urban" wing.

The hotel consists of 2 parts. The oldest I assume was built in the late 19th Century and the other during the 1970/80's. Each part has its own distinct flavour.
The reception area and breakfast restaurant are from the modern era. Whereas the main restaurant is themed for the older era.

Sadly I started off by being a guest that reception staff find hard to cope with; polite, logical but virtually find fault as soon as they arrive. Our receptionist was friendly and efficient, but probably thought "what were we going to find next". We booked a "Superior" room via an online agent. When we checked in and got to our room it was far from our definition of "Superior". Smallish, dark and overlooking a brick wall. When I telephoned reception I discovered from them that "their Superior" equals Standard in normal terms. I was then offered an upgrade at the bargain rate of E20 (normally E30) to a Executive room (nb. in some other European countries I have come across the tactic of being given a small room as a ruse to get guests to upgrade). Anyway, our upgrade room 427 was all but perfect apart from the guest safe not being anchored, you could lift it up and take it away.
So I called reception and was offered another Executive room on the third floor, directly below 427. I was allowed to check this other room, but discovered that it was 2/3 the size of room 427 and the room smelt of drains. On returning to reception it was agreed we stayed in 427, but maintenance would fix the safe the next day. The hotel kept their word.

Our air conditioned room had a king sized bed, writing desk, chest of draws and a large wardrobe. I would say our room was more of a junior suite as it also had a couch and 2 armchairs. The room had double glazed windows which were efficient enough to keep out most road noise, but once opened you discovered how noisy the outside environment was. We slept well each night.

Breakfast - the hotel provided an excellent buffet breakfast. This ranged from items from what I would call an "English Breakfast", to cold meat platters and smoked salmon. There was everything to give you a good start for the day.

Evening meal - the food was of a good quality, but I would recommend only eating there once. The food presentation tended to be "samey". We eat in the restaurant twice. For the first meal I had guinea fowl, served on a bed of mixed vegetables with a sweet / savoury jus garnished with crispy root vegetables. For the second meal I had a sirloin steak with fries and mushrooms with a sweet / savoury jus garnished with crispy root vegetables. Both dishes tasted similar. For the week we stayed the restaurant did not change its menu, neither did it offer a special dish for the day.

We had a good stay and would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th or 5th floor. Due to road noise and the possibility of the scent of drains...
1  Thank TerrythePotter