“Great location - Great staff. Recommended!”

Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam
Ranked #122 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel is very well located - right opposite the central train station where also many trams stop. So, great as a basis for travelling inside and outside the city. Around the hotel you will also find plenty of restaurants, bars etc.
Yet, the main reason why I've chosen this hotel as my main location for visiting Amsterdam (I'm visiting almost weekly for professional reasons), is the helpfulness of its staff. In any hotel you have occasional hiccups - an iron that doesn't work or the internet that won't connect - and a helpful receptionist or concierge will make all the difference difference in such cases. And the staff at the reception really take care of any issue within minutes. I visited many hotels in Amsterdam and have not felt so welcome from the moment that I entered the first time as at the Victoria Plaza. It really is the reason I keep coming back.
There are 2 wings to the hotel: an older one with rooms that have lots of class (called Victoria wing) and a newer one (called urban wing). I always take the urban wing, because its rooms are newer and have less noise (the older wing is less well isolated). But I know of people who just love the charm of the Victoria wing more.
I wouldn't particularly recommend the restaurant - although it has greatly improved in the past few months and is not bad at all, but there are so many options in the neighbourhood that are even better (try Van Speyk around the corner for good French brasserie-style dinners).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 May 2014

This hotel is most conveniently located across the train and bus station and several Canal Cruise boarding area. The hotel is old but service is good. We arrived at 8 am. and was given a room by noon. All reception staff were friendly and helpful. They have a wonderful indoor pool and the most amazingly, its opened 24 hours a day! I was concerned that our 2nd floor room facing the canal would be noisy but it was not. The room itself was basic but clean. The best feature about this hotel is its location. Especially after daytrips by train or bus, our hotel is just a minute away. There is also plenty of eating places.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the canal on a high floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014

we had reserved 3 rooms, when we arrived 2 of the rooms were ready. we put our luggage in our friends room and asked the receptionist the number of our room to be ready and he said it was 169. We got back 5 hours later and asked if 169 was ready. They said yes and gave us the entrance card for the room. we went to the room ,opened the door, entered into the room anddddddd there were a couple sleeping in that room. We were scared, they were scared, we screamed and ran back. The receptionist was amazed. They had a hard time to arrange another room for us. We wanted to speak to the reception manager. She did not come out of her room. The manager on duty came. This happened on April 30, 2014 in a " so called 4 star hotel " in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: the rooms on the old part are better
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank hguvenir
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Last time i was here, I had a meeting in one of the torturing cellars, without any window. I decided then not to have any business meetings anymore, but at least I had a decent room. This time my expensive room (209 euro for a single room) is hardly bigger than a shoebox, the airco makes the noise of a locomotive, my confirmed booking was lost in the system, my room was not properly cleaned and I could not acces my room anymore the second day, because there had been a "communication problem" which has caused they had forgotten I booked for 2 days. On top, no excuses at all, they make me feel as if I may be lucky to have a room. The only thing which is good about this hotel is the location, in front of the railway station.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Johan M
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We were booked here recently by our hosts for a small professional meeting. The location is excellent; close to the train station and many tram/bus stops, near offices where one can arrange a bus tour to the tulip gardens, etc. It can get a bit noisy if your room faces the central square, as ours did, but not bad. Breakfast had a good variety of offerings, staff were friendly and helpful. Free internet was nice, and we appreciated the ability to make coffee and tea. Bathroom was fine, though towels rather threadbare (especially considering the room rate). Overall a good experience. Our room was in the urban wing.

Room Tip: Urban wing was pleasant.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This is the most conveniently located hotel right opposite Central Railway Station and very close to all important/happening places of Amsterdam including most of the tour operators and right opposite ( just a road in between) boat cruise operators.It took me only 2 minutes to walk down to the hotel from central stn with my luggage
Front office staffs are good and helpful.I would specially recommend the names of Ms Isabelle & Ms Pooja for their help.
They have a very nice fitness centre,swimming pool and spa.Rooms are good and well kept.
You are always almost 5-10 minutes away from most of the happening places of Amsterdam.I had booked my tours online and found all very good tour operators just 1 minute from the hotel at Damrak.
You are just 1-2 minutes from Central Rly Stn/Tram Stn/bus stops.From central Rly Stn you can take train to any place including international trains.
They also have good restaurants and bar.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Take Room on the higher floor in Urban wing facing road to have a beautiful view of the city
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 April 2014

we stayed here for one night - very close to the train station which is useful.
Room smelt of smoke even though it was a non smoking room! Tiny room with a view of the inner workings of the hotel - couldnt open the window at night as the extractor from the kitchen seemed to be coming through our window..
not a hotel I'd book again. However the concierge went out of his way to help us on numerous occasions with bookings and taxis etc.
we found the room pricey for what we got.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple