“Loved, Loved, Loved Banks Mansion”
Review of Banks Mansion

Banks Mansion
Ranked #9 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Houston, TX
“Loved, Loved, Loved Banks Mansion”
Reviewed 28 August 2011

I was initially hesitant to book such a pricey hotel, however am so glad I did. Excellent friendly staff, deluxe breakfast every morning with eggs, omlets, bacon, sausage links, crepes, french toast (my favorite), fresh fruit, dozens of bread choices and croissants. The list goes on. We arrived very early, around 9:00am, but were immediately escorted to a room, which allowed us to rest and avoid any jet lag. Also, we were invited to have breakfast which is typically reserved for those who have paid a night's stay. I cannot say enough good things about Banks Mansion. We were welcomed by all of the staff, provided excellent referrals for dinner and much enjoyed the extras included in the room price. The self-serve happy hour with wine, cocktails and excellent cheeses and sausages was a treat. We rarely had to eat a meal out. The room was a bit small and not terribly lavish, however it was comfortable and the overall hotel experience was excellent. I do not know if our travels will bring us back to Amsterdam, but if so, we will stay at Banks Mansion and refer anyone we know to do so as well.

2 Thank voguekitten

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Americus, Georgia
Reviewed 27 August 2011

I had looked so forward to our stay and the Banks Mansion after reading all the positive reviews. I am afraid that the hotel did not meet my expectations. I did appreciate all the "included amenities" and think that is a nice concept. However we found the hotel to be a bit "rough around the edges". Three examples have had a major impact on my overall view of the hotel. First, the ice bucket in the room. The bucket has no liner or a plastic bag that prevents any kind of infection, etc. The bucket in our room had some clear liquid in the bottom when we arrived! Yuck! We assumed it was melted ice.... but who knows. I called the front desk and informed them of this and they apologized and said they would send a replacement. One never came. This spoke poorly of the guest service staff.
The second thing is that the stairwell was literally quite dusty and needed a very thorough cleaning. I did not use the stairs but used the elevator but my husband did on several occasions and was agast at the dirt.
And third, we asked for a recommendation for a nearby restaurant. We indicated that we wanted something close by, maybe Italian. I use a cane and didn't want to walk very far and said that closeness was more important than gourmet standing of a restaurant at that time. We were directed to go along the canal for some distance in the opposite direction of an Italian restaurant that was just moments away on the same street. Thankfully I had done some research on Trip Advisor and knew we could find something closer...
So even thoogh the room was small we did enjoy the canal view. The room was really quite small and it was difficult to move around with our luggage. I did not feel we got our money's worth as the room was quite expensive.

1 Thank GranBeba
Essex
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I knew nothing about this hotel before I arrived because I was taken there for a birthday break and had nothing to do with the trip booking.
As expected because we arrived several hours before check-in the room was not available but we were able to get a coffee in the lounge then leave our bags while we went out for lunch.
When we got back the room was ready and our bags were in the room.
The room was a deluxe and very comfortable and clean.
We were on the main road side of the Hotel and as I expect in a city it is obviously noisier than my home in the countryside, so if like me you are a light sleeper take earplugs for the first night, by the third night I was used to the traffic sounds and slept well without them.
The hotel breakfasts are excellent and the breakfast room is clean,cool and smart.
The free drinks in the Lounge are all named brands (I have seen a review saying they are all no-name brands) and the coffee from the machine is excellent.
The lounge area by the reception has a very relaxed feel and we stopped for a coffee there before going to the room each time we returned to the hotel and a wine before going out for dinner.
All the staff are very efficient, polite and helpful.
We will definitely return to the hotel if we are in Amsterdam and I have already recommended it to friends who are considering a long weekend to the city.

Room Tip: The hot water is very very vey hot in the sink and shower. Beware!
2 Thank Essexblogger
shelbygirl315
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We have stayed in a few luxury hotels in Amsterdam and this is by far the best. There are only 2 things I would have liked that it did not have. But even with that said, I LOVED this place and we will be back again and again.

The location is great. You can walk every wear. It is a clean with the nicest beds and softest sheets. We had a wonderful view of the canal and large windows that opened to give that very romantic feel. The rooms are small (But if you have been to Amsterdam you know most places have smallish rooms due to space) and there is no bath tub, but the rain shower is great fun. Your room has a few varieties of free liquor in it which is always nice. The breakfast they offer is beyond amazing. Such a variety to chose from and the staff is so wonderful every morning, I loved coming down to them in the morning.

Now, for the part that makes The Banks Hotel the best of the best. The lobby. Where do I begin? The hotel staff is wonderful, remembers your name and is friendly with out being intrusive. They offer 2 stocked fridges in a beautiful home like area that has a variety of liquor to chose from. One fridge is full of a variety of beers from all over the world as well as small bottles of wines. The other fridge is full of cold fruit juices, teas, soda's. They have a cappuccino machine that is super easy to use as well as hot flavored coffee's and hot teas. The offer cookies, crackers, cheese, fruit, chips etc. All are free and there 24/7 for when ever you wish it. Every evening they have wonderful warm appetizers that are delightful after a day out.

I personally loved the lobby and felt so at home there. We would go out all day and come home around 3 or 4. My husband would go up to the room to nap and I would go to the lobby with a good book, get a cappuccino and a munchies or two, sit by the fire and read for hours. While we were there they had a rock band staying for a few days who were playing in the area. They had security with them and fans who wanted to see them, but since you can not get into the hotel unless you are a guest, it was peaceful and quite yet exciting to be around all that.

The bottom line is this place is amazing. Can not say enough great things. I am a person who likes the finer things in life and I don't mind paying for them as long as they are what they say they are.This place will make you feel like you are a rock star....!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We have just got back from a two night stay at the Banks Mansion and I have to say it is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. The room was amazing - clean, spacious with views over the canal. We were worried about being in the centre of Amsterdam that the noise would keep us awake, but with the triple glazing we didn't hear a thing. We loved all the little extras in the room, the decanters with spirits in and a fully stocked mini bar all complimentary. Downstairs in the lounge area there was a help yourself bar which also provided food through out the day, again complimentary. The staff were wonderful, nothing was too much trouble, and they were friendly and cheerful at all times. The breakfast was also wonderful with an extensive range of everything you could imagine and eggs etc cooked to order. We will definately stay there again, hopefully for longer next time.

San Jose, California
Reviewed 24 August 2011

my husband and i stayed here for 4 nights and we thought this hotel was awesome. the room is on the small side but the bed was comfortable and the bathroom big. location is perfect - we walked everywhere - museums, shopping.. the staff members were great - breakfast is also included as well as drinks in the hotel room and downstairs at the lobby are.. soda, water, alcohol.. will definitely stay at this hotel again. we totally recommend this hotel.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 August 2011

All the reviews I read about the Banks Mansion were positive and I understand why. The hotel was fantastic. The "concept" is unique in that they offer an open bar (which is well stocked with licquor, sodas, waters, etc.) that's in the lobby and that guests can access themselves without any charge. It's part of the hotel/room price. And it's available 24/7. Newspapers in both English and Dutch available for guests in the main lobby along with two computers which were for guests to access without any charge. Free wireless internet as well is available through out the hotel and rooms. Chairs and sofas with a fire place all in the main lobby. The rooms themselves are comfortable, clean, with flat screen TVs, and large bathrooms. Bed is comfortable. There was free bottles of cognac, whiskey,a dn other alcohol in your room that costs nothing extra. A mini bar is also fully stocked in your room and free of charge (part of your room rate). Comfortable robes and slippers. One minor problem. When we checked in, we paid in advance for a room with a view of the canal. We were given a nice room but no canal view (which cost extra). I mentioned this to the front desk, they saw my copy of the reservation, and they looked in their system. They saw the error and admitted it was there fault but no canal room was available. They offered a discount on the room which is what they should have done. They advised if I wanted ... to call the next morning and they would switch us to a canal room for the remainder of the stay. I took them up on that and called the next day. The hotel offered to give us a canal view in an upgraded room with extra perks in order to not have to offer a discount for the first night foul up. That was reasonable and I took them up on that offer. All in all ... mistakes happen and the hotel acknowledged it and did everything they should to rectify it without any attitude. Breakfast is served in the morning and offers a wide variety of food....again a plus. No fitness center or real restaurant in hotel, but the hotel was just such a great place that these negatives don't even rank against the hotel. One block walk to the flower market and two block walk to canal boat tours. Easy walk to train station, but don't walk it with luggage people ... pay for a cab. It's not that close to the train station and don't struggle on the cobblestone streets with the madness of bicycles and tons of people on the street. The hotel is in a great location, close to everything, but also in a good location in that the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam eases up at night near it so its not loud. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends