“Just superb”
Review of Banks Mansion

Banks Mansion
Ranked #9 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Before staying somewere, I always try and read as many online reviews, but I have decided this is a futile exercise. Yes you get good ones, and GREAT ones, but you also get poor ones which, if true would ruin your trip.

I planned a very special trip to Amsterdam, and I wanted it to be perfect. As it turned out, I had all the help I needed to achieve this in the staff of the Banks Mansion Hotel. Jacqueline and Willem were outstanding.

I originally booked through Expedia, but realised that I needed to get an upgrade in order to get a bath and a canal view. Simple – done. I needed some recommendations for restaurants – done, which were both fabulous. Could I please have a bunch of tulips in the room? Of course you can.

I have seen some people write negatively about this hotel – noise from trams, room size, the fact that the hotel image on the website looks better as it is shot at night with lights (!), the dubious free drinks etc., so let me put those rumours to bed.

One – you are in the centre of Amsterdam, but in a classy part…they have trams. Hence the triple glazing if it gets too much. If you think that will worry you try asking for a quiet room?

If it is important to you to have hundreds of antiseptic square feet – try staying at one of the dull majors at the airport. This is a very old building in a very old city. Personally, I just want to store my clothes and laptop, (in the laptop safe provided in the bedroom), and go to sleep in my room.

The free cheese and meat and wine/spirit bar. A lovely touch. The only tiny negative is that one space serves both those people just wanting to relax and chill out, and those people who are having business meetings and insist on shouting at each other. It might be preferable, (after breakfast...), to ask business users to work in the (unused) restaurant - it would not be too much of a hardship for them to wander up for their free food and drink.

Forget about the “look” of a hotel, it is what is inside that matters. I have seen a review that says the décor looks “dated” – perhaps that person did not quite appreciate the concept of Art Deco, which is perfectly executed.

Someone wrote that the free spirits in the room were not sealed, (quite hard to do with a decanter…!), and not replenished, (again – perhaps just try asking?) If that reviewer is used to drinking 25 year old single malt, then they would be disappointed, however, I loved the touch of luxury, it is absolutely fine. I have had worse in US “major” chains.

Beds – simply the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on, with a huge and soft liner, and great pillows that you just sink into.

The location is central, but just out of the centre. It’s about 10 Euros to travel anywhere (inc. tip). Walking is completely possible but we opted for cabs.

Breakfast is a full hot and cold buffet, great eggs, omelettes and pancakes, wonderful coffee (from a machine), meats, cheeses, breads, conserves, and you must try the bread, butter and chocolate sprinkles 

So – yes…a great boutique hotel. We have already booked a return visit in September. I think the mark of a great hotel is if it makes you feel welcome – and several times we found ourselves saying “Let’s go home”. That for me is the mark of a wonderful hotel.

1  Thank Bruce G
Esther B, General Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for this extensive review! We loved everything about it because you seemed to love everything about the Banks Mansion.

Also good to read that you already booked another visit for September. We are very honored to welcome you again this year!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I spent 4 nights at Banks Mansion in November 2013. Let's start with the basics - the room was lovely, clean, and as promised, I had a perfect canal view. The bathroom was spacious and modern. And, miraculously, it was all fairly quiet. But what really makes this hotel stand are the amenities and the service. Everything is included once you are at the hotel - there is a self-serve bar that is fully stocked and a great wine selection available at your leisure in the lobby. There is also a fridge filled with beer, water, juices, etc (as well as one in your room), and snacks put out throughout the day, culminating in a really great cheese selection at night. In your room, the mini bar is accompanied by carafes of gin, brandy...and honestly, something else I just can't recall right now. It's all included in the price. The customer services was amazing too. Everyday I was greeted by name when I passed through the lobby, and was given tons of help planning, finding restaurants, and treated with great kindness all around. The hotel is well situated near a lot of shopping (though touristy shopping) and restaurants. It's an easy walk to most museums, a bit longer, but manageable to Anne Frank House and areas like the Nine Streets. Other than getting to the hotel from the train station and getting yo the airport from the hotel I walked the whole city. I will definitely go back if I'm in Amsterdam, and have already recommended it twice to friends.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank E_from_DC

Dear guest,

Wauw! The title alone already makes us truly happy. Thank you very much!

We of course hope to welcome you (and the friends to whom you recommended us) again in the future. For the same service you have received in the hotel and the best available rate, always book via our own website.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed for 3 nights - 16th Feb to 19th Feb and cannot say enough good things about it. Great location - far enough away from what maybe classed as the more 'touristy' side of Amsterdam (Dam Square and the RLD) but everything is still within walking distance should you want to venture into those areas. Also very close to the museum quarter for those interested in the more cultural side of things. But it's the service and staff where this hotel comes into it's own, nothing is too much trouble and they certainly go that extra mile to make your stay pass without any problems or issues, they just cannot do enough for you. The free drinks, snacks and breakfast are an obvious bonus as well!! Would certainly stay here again if/when I return to Amsterdam and was far superior to the NH Grand Krasnapolsky Hotel where I stayed last time when I was here.

On a final note - if Willem is working, then pick his brain about where to go for a drink or something to eat, his recommendations were excellent. Apologies if I have spelt your name wrong though!

Dear guest,

First of all, thank you for this great review. Willem is overwhelmed with questions since your review. But he is still enjoying it as much as he enjoyed helping you.

We truly hope to welcome you again in hte future. For the best service and available rate, please always book via our website.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

the hotel was super, the staff helpful and location brilliant.
had the most amazing time in Amsterdam and the hotel added to every bit of enjoyment.
the complimentary food and drink in the resident lounge was an unexpected bonus.

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Good to hear that you have enjoyed the hotel and its location + staff.

We hope we can welcome you again in the future, so you can again enjoy the complimentary food and drink in the resident lounge. For the best personal service and best available rate, please book via our own website.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

The hotel was in the top 10 on trip advisor for justifiable reasons.the all inclusive concept is a great idea ,to be able to go back after a long day sightseeing and to then enjoy a coffee,a soft or even an alcoholic drink is a good way to unwind. Rooms very comfy beds. Breakfast self service display very good quality. Eggs ,omelettes cooked to order were a nice touch. Cheese in the evening a nice touch and a way to try some different Dutch cheese and meats.Would recommend the central location ,easy to access by tram or just to walk along the many nearby canals .
All the major museums are within walking distance.
The iamsterdam card is worth buying as it covers trams,canal ride,major museums and many other smaller museums,also discounts from others
Cost 67€ for 72 hours each but worth it .
The Marcel Wanders ,(modern designer )exhibition in the Stedelijk until 15 jun is worth visiting
Visit the Vondelpark too for a stroll and a coffee in the blue Teahouse ,a 1930 building with large seating area outside

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Esther B, General Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this useful review.

We are very proud to be in the top ten of Tripadvisor and because of great reviews like yours we can stay in the top ten. Thank you!

We hope we can welcome you again in the future. For the best personal service and the best available rate I advice you to always book via our own website.

Esthet Boers

Reviewed 19 February 2014

As others have mentioned, this place is truly ideal for being close to everything. We were easily able to walk to all of the places we wanted to visit (Heineken Experience, Chinatown, Anne Frank house, Blummen market, Red Light District). Willem at the front desk is amazing and will give you help in anything you need. He even spent a ton of time with us one day helping us find dinner reservations for the same night (we forgot it was Valentine's Day). Breakfast is included (ranges from the usual European continental style to made to order eggs, pancakes, etc...). Beer and hard liquors are available all day with wine being put out at 5PM and remaining out until it's all finished. Although a bit pricey, this hotel is really a bargain if you take advantage of the all-inclusive aspect. For instance, my husband and I were not really interested in going to trendy bars or finding nightlife, so instead enjoyed the option to stay in the hotel and enjoy drinks by the fire. One night we went to the awesome Burger Bar just down the street, realized there was no way we were going to find a place to sit and instead brought the burgers and fries back to the hotel to eat in the lobby with beer from the hotel. So many great restaurants are nearby so we would get a great meal and return to the hotel for evening drinks - great way to unwind if you want to avoid the usual smoke filled bars and loud music.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear guest,

It sounds like you had a great time in Amsterdam! A visit to the Heineken Experience, Chinatown, Anne Frank house, Flower market and the Red Light District. Good to read that you found Banks Mansion an ideal place to stay when visiting all those great things in Amsterdam.

We also believe that our location is ideal for out guest. Whatever their purposes are to visit Amsterdam.

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review.

We hope that Willem can welcome you once again at the Banks Mansion. For the best personal service and the best available rate I advice you to always book via our own website.

Esthet Boers

Reviewed 17 February 2014

The hotel is centrally located to walk all the sites. The staff is very nice. Breakfast was included and it was very good. Complimentary wine and cheese every night in the lobby is a nice way to end the day.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Esther B, General Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It was our pleasure to welcome you as our guest.

We would like to welcome you again in the future. To make sure you receive the best personal service and the best rate available always visit our own website.