“Fantastic hotel”

Ranked #9 of 365 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York
“Fantastic hotel”
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here the first week in April. The hotel is fantastic. We loved it. The front desk people are very helpful and friendly. The breakfast is delicious . The wine and cheese in the afternoon was a great ending to a busy day sightseeing. The hotel is centrally located . We walked everywhere . Glad we stayed here!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ria4917
Esther B, General Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear guest,

We are also glad that you have stayed with us! Thank you for this wonderful review.

We of course would love to welcome you again in our hotel. Please book via our own website for the best personal service and best available rate.

Esther Boers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
fife
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel whilst visiting Amsterdam. Excellent staff, breakfast and 'free' bar and room mini-bar. Five minute walk from 'Dam Square and Rembrandt Square and central to everything else. Only thing I would say is try and get a room which does not overlook the main street as it can be a little noisy into the late hours at weekends.This is where I will stay if I return to Amsterdam in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this great review!

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My feelings about this hotel started positively before I even arrived! I got an email from Kirsten the morning I was to leave, to inform me that because it is Kings' Day on the day of my arrival, the streets might be closed. She gave me a couple of options. I responded back with another question, and she responded back quickly.

Fortunately, the streets were just being shut off, but not all of them, and I was able to get to the hotel about 10 mins before the main streets around the hotel were closed off.

I changed, went back outside, then returned around 1p. To my surprise, my room was ready. Not only that, I didn't even have to ask - they just remembered and checked for me.

I got a little tour by Felicia (wonderful name/also mine!) where she showed me the complimentary beer, sodas, water and various liquors, coffee, hot chocolate, etc. This is also where they have wine in the afternoons, and cheese, sausages (excellent both!) and crackers and grapes. In the morning, before the dining room opens, they have complimentary croissants as well.

My room was really nice and large by European standards. Perfect for one or two people even. I do suggest more hangers if there are two people, because there were just enough for me as a single. I think if you were to ask, they would definitely give you more!

No tub (but they're always too small in Europe anyway!) I had room 201, which overlooked the canal. Nice. The air conditioner worked GREAT! It was quiet, cooled off the room quickly.

My only negative about the room was the bathroom, but I am a self-admitted snob about bathrooms. The sink doesn't have much room for things, and everything kept falling to the floor. But the shower ~ ugh. I am probably alone in this, but I do not like rain shower nozzles. There's no escape from the water on your head, unless you move to the side, but then you're out of the warmth. There was a hand held shower, but those are difficult to maneuver if you want to wash your hair and keep the water on you to keep you warm. Also, the temperature would jump from normal to scalding by itself.

There is a small fridge in the room, with (again) complimentary beverages and a single snack of raisins and nuts, replenished daily. There is also gin, whiskey and cognac.

Breakfasts were good. I ate there twice. Plenty to choose from: cold cuts, cheese, breads, coleslaw, tomatoes, an omelet station, and more. Great tasting coffee. Service was good here as well. They aren't open at lunch or dinner, but I did hear that there are a few restaurants they can call and have food delivered for you. Also, you can get room service for I think 5 euros; however, in the dining room it's free.

They had this sliced turkey with green flecks in it that I cautiously tried....it was really good! I think the green flecks were onions. The next day I could not wait to get back for the green flecked-turkey and sadly, they didn't have it out that day. I bet, knowing this hotel, if I'd asked for it, they'd have rounded me up some!

The location is perfect. There are two tram stops within a 2 minute walk. #16 and #24. Both go to Centraal Station. You can buy your tickets for the tram at the front desk. Also, they sell tickets for various museums, so you can skip the line at the museums.

I know it's a cliche to say I felt like family at a hotel, but I really did! Everyone at the front desk remembered me. No one made me feel idiotic about not being able to read a map. I was a little confused about the tram situation, but this was explained thoroughly and patiently. All wake up calls came right on time. When I requested the name of a sausage, the guy I spoke to not only gave me the name, but also voluntarily looked for their website.

The hotel is spotlessly clean, including the rooms (and I'm a bit picky about a clean hotel room!) The bed was very comfortable and you can choose the type of pillow you want.

Would I stay here again? Even though the bathroom was not the most favorable, who cares. The rest of the hotel was absolutely wonderful and by all means, I would stay here again! Darn, now I want to return to Amsterdam JUST to stay at the Banks Mansion!

Room Tip: Room 201 that overlooked the canal was also near the street; however, I never heard any noise from b...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Felicia D
Dear guest,

What a beautiful title to start a review with: "Wish there could be a 6-star option".

Thank you very much for this kind en wonderful review and the warm greetings from your namesake. She agreed it started to feel like family.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stay here regularly. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. The breakfast and open snack and drink area are a great touch, and the rooms are very nice for the rate. It's conveniently located in the middle of town, and it's very clean. They don't have a gym but they can direct you to one very close by that has a very reasonable day rate.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

It is a great pleasure to read that you, as a returning guest, are so satisfied about our hotel. You point out the location, the extensivebreakfast and the service of the staff. We believe these are the points that sets us apart of the other hotels in Amsterdam. Again thank you!

We of course love to welcome you again in the future. For the best personal service and best personal rate always book via our own website.

Shildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We were welcomed on arrival with friendly staff, the room was spacious we good views, with a tram stop very close by, although the train station isnt to far away. I would recommend this hotel and would go back in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Esther B, General Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. It is always a pleasure to read that the staff, room and location of the hotel is appreciated. The fact that you would recommend our hotel and would come back in the future makes us even more happier.

Hopefully for your next stay we can make sure you will reward us with a 5-star review. We always aim for 5-stars so the 3-stars you have rewarded us this time is unsatisfying and something we would love to improve.

We are more than happy to welcome you again in the future and are looking forward to it.

Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The Banks Mansion Hotel in Amsterdam is the best European hotel at which I have stayed. It is centrally located, very clean, comfortable and attended by a most gracious, knowledgeable and helpful staff. there are iPads in the lounge for use by guests. An open bar with every imaginable drink- hard and soft available to help oneself and a cheese buffet each afternoon. The rooms are on the small side but very comfortable and well appointed.The breakfast is amazing with a cook to take your requests and whip them out for you.

Room Tip: If there is no celebration like King's Day going on, any room is fine although I believe some ar...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

"a most gracious, knowledgeable and helpful staff".

Thank you very much for these flattering words!

We hope to welcome you again in the future. To make sure you will receive the best personal service and best available rate please book via our own website.

Warrington
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Have just returned from a three night stay at the Banks Mansion. What a lovely hotel. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, nothing was too much for them. The hotel is well located, close to the flower market and in easy walking distance to everything. We found the hotel easily when walking from Centraal station on arrival. The full service concept is a brilliant idea. Included in your room price is breakfast which had a good choice, including having eggs, pancakes and french toast cooked to order and was always being re-stocked; in your room a mini bar with water, beer and soft drinks, three decanters of spirits - cognac, whiskey and gin and a Nespresso coffee machine; in the hotel lounge there is a coffee machine plus a good selection of tea bags, fridges with bottles of beer, water and soft drinks, a selection of spirits, from 4pm red, white and rose wine, prosecco and between 5 and 8pm a selection of cheese and meat. There were also iPads in the lounge area for guests to use and the hotel had free wi-fi throughout. These are all extra touches which make the hotel special. We arrived at the hotel well before check in time. Whilst rooms were available then I had asked for a room on a higher floor and none of these were available yet. Willem who was checking us in did not want us to compromise on our request so said it would be best for us to come back later but were able to leave our luggage. It was nice that our request was being granted and that they didn't want to just get us into another room that was available at the time. Willem then gave us a tour of the communal areas of the hotel, explained their full service concept and provided us wtih a map and leaflets, listing some places which may be of interest. Cannot wait to return,

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lizarazu77
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this extensive and wonderful review. Your review describes all the point on which we want to exceed.

We hope to welcome you again in the future. To make sure you will receive the same personal service as you did in the hotel and the best available rate I advice you to book directly via us.

Genernal Manager