“Great find in a beautiful city”
Review of Banks Mansion

Banks Mansion
Ranked #7 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 31 December 2008

Stayed at this gem of a place over the christmas weekend and really enjoyed it. The location was very good, in the Southern Canal Belt which was close enough to all the major attractions without feeling too touristy, and the tram links were frequent and convenient.

After reading the previous reviews was actually prepared for a small closet room but the bedroom was pleasantly spacious and definitely one of the bigger ones I've seen in Europe. The complimentary minibar was a nice finishing touch, and the Living Room reception area, with a cheery fire and free flow of drinks and snacks, was a lifesaver for those cold Amsterdam afternoons..

All in all, a great place and would not hesitate in recommending to anyone

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank glory23
Write a ReviewReviews (2,870)

Reviewed 2 December 2008

I enjoyed my stay at the Banks Mansion very much. It's a mid sized hotel, about 40 rooms. My room was a canal view room on the top (fourth) floor. It was nice, albeit small. I was traveling alone, so the twin bed was fine, particularly comfortable with good pillows. The bathroom is very nice, and the shower head is a like a huge watering can.

The lobby has a sitting area, as well as a bar with cold drinks, a coffee machine, liquor, and some small snacks at all times. All is complementary as is the minibar in the room, which has several cold drinks and three spirits. There are two computers in the lobby for free internet use, and you get a free 50 minute wifi connection to a hotspot type internet service, which is much faster than the lobby computers. More time can be purchased. There are European outlets in the rooms and one UK outlet at the desk.

Breakfast was very good, and presented as described by the hotel.

The location was ideal. The hotel is on a canal in a nice area in the southern canal belt, close to the city center. It is walking distance from busy areas, but its block is quiet and subdued. Trams are close by--either a one minute or five minute walk--depending on which line you take. Taking the tram to the train station (and on to the airport) was very easy, but I had carry-on luggage.

A great hotel, highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank travulator
Reviewed 22 November 2008

I stayed here on two occasions, each for one night, on business. This is a top quality hotel in a great location in Amsterdam (right on one of Amsterdam's lovely canals). The staff were helpful, friendly and polite from the minute I walked in the door and till the minute I left. Not speaking Dutch is no problem as all the staff I spoke to have excellent English skills.

The room was tastefully and stylishly decorated. The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom facilities were well presented and very clean. The room was typical size for European hotels, but I didn't actually feel cramped or cluttered, and the furnishings and decor were really attractive and created a pleasant atmosphere.

It is the little things that really make this place stand out. For example, there is a small minibar in the room - and it's completely included. There are spirits, beer, wine - all included in the price. Downstairs in the lounge, near reception, there is also a drinks/nibbles bar, from mid-afternoon onwards, where you can get free drinks and nibbles. No charge for anything - that includes more expensive drinks like Baileys, Tia Maria, etc as well as a range of wines, beers, and other spirits. There is also a nice selection of nibblies (cheese, crackers, nuts, olives).

The hotel provides two internet browsing stations in the lounge - and they're free to use, as well. And breakfast is also included in the room rate. Breakfast is great - a very good selection of cereals, fruits, cold meats, and some hot food (bacon, sausages) and they will make you your eggs however you like them (scrambled, fried, omelette etc). It really conveys a much more personal feel than most hotels in most big cities.

It's also quite conveniently located - about a 10 minute walk to Anne Frank's house (and the Prinsengracht area in general, which borders on the lovely Jordaan region, with lots of interesting shops, small streets, cafes), very close to the flower market, and the canal bus has a stop not too far away (fantastic option when you're too tired to do any more walking!)

Overall, this was a real find. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. Nothing ever seemed too much trouble for the staff, and the quality and service were excellent.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
4  Thank Jill_Downunder
Reviewed 19 November 2008

The Banks Mansion was exactly as advertised. A truly comfortable stay in the heart of Amsterdam. The staff were clea rly very well trained as well as being excellent linguists. They looked after our every need without being in the least servile. They clearly understood the meaning of hospitality and professionalism.One word of warning, we booked our one night through Expedia, two days before we travelled, they charged us £50 extra so book direct! Expedia refused to make a refund.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travelling0ldie
Reviewed 13 November 2008

I've stayed in quite a few hotels around Europe over the last few years, and at Bank Mansion I had my best ever hotel experience. In a world full of soulless chains and dives, this character laden gem is really one of a kind.

We visited the hotel (couple, mid twenties) Nov '08 on a short weekend trip to Amsterdam. The staff were very kind, courteous and as everything in the hotel was complementary, I feel that they treated all customers the same.

Free Bar! Seriously. Couldn't believe it. Beer in the fridges, wine on ice, bottles of spirits, mixers, coffee machine and always a selection of nibbles (cheese, nuts, olives, etc). Free drinks in the room as well!!!

Other reviewers complained about the size of the room, room service options etc. But they obviously chose the wrong hotel for their needs. I hate being ripped off, so I never order room service or use minibars, or watch pay per view films. Here there were no hidden charges. No charge for Breakfast, minibar, bar, internet etc. It drives me up the wall when you book a posh hotel for a hefty sum and are forced to pay extra to use the internet or watch a film or whatever. So I suppose it's all relative. Some won't like this hotel.

But I stand by what I said earlier, you are treated better at Banks Mansion because nobody is paying extra. The staff don't look down at you because you haven't racked up a massive drinks/food bill or aren't booking in for hourly herbal massage treatments. With all the conventions, hidden charges etc, I've found it hard to be truly comfortable in highly rated 5 star hotels that I've visited.

Others: Room was nice, stylish. Bathroom gorgeous. No view, but didn't request one (2 day stay in November....)
Lobby and "Living room" area were also very stylish and comfortable. Nice realistic gas fire. Some lovely furniture throughout the hotel too.
Breakfast is as good as you will get on the continent. Omelettes/Pancakes/Eggs all made fresh for you (no extra charge)
Very nice area.

If you, like us want a comfortable base from where to explore the city where you can unwind with a free drink or more and are not overly concerned about over rated 5 star luxuries, then book this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hotelreviewer_C
Reviewed 3 November 2008

We arrived at Banks Mansion to find ourselves in a 200-300 square foot room, with a canal view, but that was just about the only nice thing about this hotel. Sure, there are three glass carafes of alcohol in the room, a mini-bar which gets restocked daily by the maids, and a coffee machine in the lobby, but for me, the open glass containers of liquor seemed particularly unsafe - as a previous guest could easily put whatever they want inside them and the next guest would never know (they are merely refilled, not new for each guest). The window/doors overlooking the canal were openable, sort of, as the side of the bed was within 2 feet of that wall, and the room was only 3 feet wider than the length of the bed anyway. It made for a lot of zig zagging around to get past the furniture to look out the window. We wanted to change rooms, but there weren't any better/larger ones, other than the honeymoon suite, which already had occupants. We told the front desk person, Pamela, that we would let her know by the next morning if we were going to move to a new hotel, but as we were only staying for 3 days, we decided to just deal with the cramped quarters and try to have a good time outside the room. The next morning Pamela called and asked whether we were leaving. We confirmed that we were going to stay, as we would have told her otherwise by 10am. When we left the hotel to sight-see around 11am, Pamela accosted us and basically demanded that we check out. She had told another person that they could have our room, even though we never said we were actually leaving. She was extremely rude, and was trying to salvage herself due to her own poor decision to try to book the room without confirmation from us that we were leaving. She argued with my boyfriend for about 30 minutes as we were leaving, and made me feel very uncomfortable in that I wasn't sure if she was crazy enough to actually move our things from the room and kick us out. I hoped it wouldn't come to that, but this was my first trip to Europe, so I wasn't sure! Once my boyfriend got tired of arguing with her he told her to sort it out with American Express, and I guess that must have convinced her to give up on trying to kick us out. I spent the entire day somewhat worried about it though until we got back that evening to find our room still accessible by keycard. I wish we had never even gone into that hotel.

The hotel is located just around the corner from Rembrandtplein, which is a reasonably safe area with coffee shops, restaurants, and vendors.

I definitely do NOT recommend Banks Mansion! Stay elsewhere and you will be much happier!

7  Thank grebliv
Reviewed 30 October 2008

Lovely hotel in great location in Amsterdam. We spent most days out and about and would drop in to the hotel for 'lunch/afternoon' tea from the complimentary all day open bar (drinks and snacks plus internet access) and head back out again all afternoon until pre-dinner drinks at the hotel bar again! So we probably saved a bit of money on lunches and cocktails and it was very nice to have a sense of feeling 'at home' in the hotel without having to put our hands into our pockets for everything. Rooms are a little squeezy but clean and tasteful. If you are going to Amsterdam, hiring a bicycle for the duration is a great idea as you can cover lots of ground and even head on out to their lovely countryside in no time. This is a very nice hotel if you want a very comfortable and convenient stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple