“Fantastic staff and service”
Review of Banks Mansion

Banks Mansion
Ranked #8 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 8 July 2010

This hotel was a welcomed relief after 25 hours of traveling. The staff was very friendly, and we were surprised by an upgrade to a suite. This room was wonderful, with a very large living room and separate bedroom. The bathroom was large with a big whirlpool tub and separate glass shower. Everything was included. We had wonderful views of the canal,as well as the street. The staff gave us a wonderful recommendation for dinner at an Italian restaurant within @ 3 minutes walking distance. The king bed was comfortable. The buffet breakfast was excellent and was included in the price also. The hotel was also in a great location, and within walking distance to all the main attractions and great restaurants. The staff were consistently helpful and gracious. When we return to Amsterdam, we will stay here again.

2  Thank courtneyAlcoa
Write a ReviewReviews (2,871)

Reviewed 29 June 2010

I was very impressed with the Bank Mansion hotel, The service was excellent the room and the whole concept of the hotel was great, We enjoyed ourselves very much during our stay in Amsterdam.
A big Thank you to Kiki, Ellen and the girls at the reception desk who were very friendly and helpful
A 10/10 experience for me, and I will definitely stay at the Banks Mansion on my next visit to Amsterdam, and I will be sure to recommend the Banks mansion to my friends & colleagues.

1  Thank BaRCelONaBAdBoY
Reviewed 20 June 2010

This was our 4th trip to Banks Mansion, and the very high standards are still in place.
The secret of the hotel is The Manager and The Team who work there. The Front Desk are always helpful, pleasant, caring and always say hello. The rooms are excellent with a pillow choice now!. Breakfast is always very well run by a lovely lady who goes out of her way to make sure you have a good start to the day. The design of the hotel is excellent and a lot of time and trouble is taken on how the hotel looks. The Home from Home is so welcome after a long walk round the city. A great idea.
This hotel is miles ahead of most hotels in service and standards.
A Real Gem.!

3  Thank holidays54
Reviewed 17 June 2010

I always enjoy visiting the Netherlands. The Dutch are great people, and always make you feel welcome & at ease. It's a great country to holiday in.

Amsterdam is always busy, always moving. And it's rare to find a quiet and peaceful hotel anywhere. But to answer the usual questions about noise, this one seems to be really solid. Never heard a peek out of the other guests, the double windows block out most noise. And the curtains keep it dark enough when you want it. the air-conditioning works, and as it was quite warm when I visited, it was a welcome relief.

The rooms are specially designed ( as is the hotel) in an Art Deco motif. And it gives it a stylish and uncluttered feel. It's not that expensive either. Amsterdam is an expensive city for good hotels. And you don't always get good either. I've visited the city for over 25 years now. And I think this hotel is a goodun. I had room 206, which is a corner room ,so was little roomier than some of the others.

The rooms are comfortable & clean. The bathroom is stellar ( bath & power shower). Plenty of room to move about. It's got a nice coffee machine, which took a lot of the stress out of the 1st drink of the day routine. And surprisingly the free mini-bar and booze supply makes it more relaxing. The free bar & snacks thing downstairs with the internet and newspapers are a great idea. And it's nice to have a refuge from the streets. The more frugal amongst us will really like this, as it enables you to have a few evening drinks both before going out, and when you return all included in the price of the room. Lovely. Lol.

I like to think I'm not a demanding customer. But I think we all expect politeness & helpfulness when staying in a hotel. This hotel has it in spades. They are lovely & professional, with that relaxed Dutch approach, which means you aren't speaking to a machine, but a human being. They are lovely people.

The breakfast bar was uncrowded when I went. And stacked with a good choice of foods. It's also a largish room, so not the usual box room so many hotels use breakfast.

Location is spot on also. Just go out of the entrance, and explore. Nigh everything you'd want to see in the city isn't far away. I never used the trams this time. Just walked and walked. If you like to do that, Amsterdam is the city for you. If you like using trams and taxi's, Amsterdam is the city for you. If you like bikes and boats. etc etc.

I do recommend this hotel. And will use it again. As I've really struggled with hotels in Amsterdam over the years, and I feel I've found a good base for when I next visit.

4  Thank Gareth66
Reviewed 12 June 2010

Our view was of the street and I was disapointed but that was almost the only negative.

The front desk with Nancy and Kiki were both incredible! If there is a model for what front desk should be both of these ladies represent it.

The great staff goes much beyond the front desk. Sam is as good as it gets. To call him a bellman would understate his value. When we would return at the end of the day he would immediately ask what he could get for us and even mix us drinks from the OPEN BAR!

Yes, that is right they have a well stocked top brand bar in the lobby that you are free to help yourself to and they even have stocked minibars and decanters of Cognac, Gin, and Whiskey in the rooms all free.

Breakfast is very good and if you want to stay in the room they will put together an incredible tray for you for only 5 Euro service fee. In the afternoon they put out some nice cheeses, pate, and meats.

It is located right on a main canal and you can request a view room for about 30Euro extra.

We slept with the windows open the first night and woke up with several mosquitos in the room. The rest of our stay we just left the air on if we wanted to cool down a little.

Bathrooms were very nice with a deluxe shower.

The only down side and it was minor was the wireless service. They give out 50 minute cards. You have to scratch off the code and use it to get online. They are not stingy with the cards but it is a bit of a chore and if you have multiple computers, phones or devices, it's not great. As we left, they told us that they were considering opening up wireless fulltime to guests. This would be a great choice and one that us Americans are becoming accustomed to.

This hotel had all of the nice features of a big name hotel but the local flavor and excellent location to make it something special.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Ricofisher
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Great ‘boutique’ hotel in excellent location…. Skinny-train right down the block. Rooms are small but service is excellent. Everyone was extremely helpful (found that my US curling iron would not work with electrical converter so they directed me to Dixon’s right around the corner where I could buy a ‘local’ one—Gave us train schedules for our out of town excursion). Breakfast was wonderful – don’t miss their Dutch pancakes or made to order omelets. Nice to use their lobby to meet for free cocktails before heading out to dinner. Loved the beds and room 306 is a corner room and bigger than most!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank luv2trvlots
Reviewed 7 June 2010

What a wonderful hotel! The staff are friendly and helpful and staying here is, in a word, easy. The rooms are a bit small, but they are incredibly comfortable and quiet. There were double windows in our 3rd floor street-facing room that completely shut out any street noise. The bathroom is luxurious and the bed is very comfortable, too. The "all inclusive" -ness of the hotel really won points from us. It was great to be able to have a water, juice, coffee, wine, liquor, whenever you want - as well as a few snacks. The complimentary breakfast was very tasty and could easily carry us through lunch!

I also loved how close to everything the hotel is. My husband and I rarely had to take a tram. We walked everywhere!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple