“Great Hotel”

Ranked #84 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
elderslie
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 7 December 2008

This trip was taken by my husband and I (50's) for a 4 night stay, 1st time visit to Amsterdam. Having read the previous reports I had a feeling of disappointment that his was our accomodation. However, I found the Hotel exceeded my expectations.
LOCATION.
True it is a fair bit from the centre, but the public transport is good. We decided to walk everywhere and there is plenty to see to keep you going. We averaged 12 - 16 miles a day and had very sore feet after 3 days!!! It is near the beautiful Vondelpark, and is next to the museum and fashion quarter which houses all the upmarket designer shops ie Chanel etc. Keep walking and you will come to The Hard Rock Cafe and go a little further and you will come to lots of restaurants etc. For normal shops like H &M, C &A and many other recognisable names head for the streets of Dam Square. Be careful though as the Red Light District is on the other side of Dam Square, (and is well worth a visit)
ACCOMODATION.
The room was small but very bright and clean. The bathroom was modern. There was a fridge, a safety deposit box, a television, phone, kettle and a welcome pack of tea, coffee etc. The hairdryer was not present, there was a hole in the wall where it once hung but had been removed. This did not bother me as I took my own anyway. If I had reported it I am quite sure a satisfactory outcome would have occurrred.
STAFF
The staff were all lovely, friendly and very helpful.
BREAKFAST.
Fantastic and well worth getting up for. Wide range and would satisfy even the fussiest of eaters! The kitchen staff were lovely. There was a variety of cereals, fruit cocktail, fresh fruit, cream bacon, scrambled egg, rolls, toast, bread, meat, cheese, fruit juices, tea and coffee, biscuits etc
VALUE
As a place to stay for bed and breakfast it is certainly good value for money. However, if you buy crisps, coke, sweets etc these items are expensive. Better to go round the corner and opposite the Concert Hall to the Supermarket (not obvious you have to go down an escalator-beside a car park) where you will find things much more cheaply. At the moment as the Pound is doing so badly against the Euro we found Amsterdam very expensive.
PLACES OF INTEREST
There are lots of places to go. We visited Anne Franke's House , The red light district, Dam Square,Van Gogh Musuem, The Reijksmuseum, went on a canal boat, visited Madame Tussauds
and had a quick look inside a coffee shop which was a real eye opener!!! In short lots to do and lots of places to eat and drink. The Sottish bar off the main shopping street at Dam square is the cheapest in town. Say hello to Linda from Clydeband, Allan, Ray and Eddie who likes to be known as Brian!!!!

• Liked — Cleanliness, staff and breakfast!!
  • Disliked — distance from centre, although transport links were excellent.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lynn m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 October 2008

Speaking from an American perspective this hotel is not all that great, but it's not bad.

Location: Awsome location - very very close to museums, Leidsplan, good restaurants. 15 min from Schipol

Staff: very nice & helpful

Breakast: not the biggest/nicest spread I've seen, but absolutely suitable for a good breadfast with hot and cold foods

Actual rooms/bathrooms: the worst part of the experience. the room looked worn & in need of a serious refurb. Carpet looked FIlthy - kept my socks on the whole time. Upon 1st glance the bathroom seemed ok, but upon further inspection was on the icky side.

* I could hear all the comings & goings of my neighbors - in fact I thought my room was being broken into mutliple times b/c when the room next to me tried to open their door it was like it was my door.
* they take your key from you whenever you leave the hotel and you get it back upon your return. They never ask for an id in order to get the key, you just say your room number. The hotel is small, but not small enough for the rotating staff to know who you are each time you come/go

Bottom Line: stay somewhere else if you can afford it - if not, you'll survive but not be thrilled.

Check out my actual room pics...although I'd say it looks cleaner in the pics than it did in person.

• Liked — staff & breakfast
  • Disliked — room/bathroom/cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank casey9464
Stroud
Reviewed 4 September 2008

I stayed at this hotel for my birthday with 3 other people and we were looking for a hotel that was reasonably priced within the Liedesplein/Vondelpark district. I had personally read the reviews which all appeared to be favourable and I can honestly say that in no way were we disappointed with our choice. The staff/owners were exceptionally friendly, helpful and very willing to provide maps on which they highlighted tram routes and generally where places of interest were located.

The rooms were a good size with a TV and a fridge which was "for our convenience" which I thought was a lovely touch. Most importantly, the bed and pillowswere superbly comfortable and whereas our room at the front of the building on the 4th floor was a little noisy with the windows open, because it had air conditioning we were able to close the windows and sleep peacefully without being too hot. Another member of our party was at the back of the building on the 1st floor which was lovely and peaceful but didn't have air con, however there was a large door/window that could be opened to allow air into the room. This basically meant that wherever you are in the building, you will have a good night's sleep!!

We didn't order breakfast as it was continental and we wanted a bigger meal to set us up for the day so I cannot comment on how good/bad/value for money it is, however at the time of our visit, the pound was very weak against the euro which did make everything just that little bit more expensive than I had seen before however this isn't any reflexion on this hotel in anyway.

The hotel is within a 5-10 minute walking distance of the beautiful Vondelpark which is wondeful to sit and relax in on a summer's day. There are 3 tram lines within walking distance of the hotel which are Nos 5, 16 and 24 and Leidesplein is only a couple of stops away on tram 5 however Dam Square is only about 10 minutes which meant for us, Museum Square Hotel was ideally situated.

On our first night we arrived later in the evening so we opted to eat just around the corner from the hotel and we enjoyed a beautifully cooked steak with sauce, fries with a very pleasant and welcome service.

For my birthday we went on a Dinner Cruise which we booked in advance through www.viator.com and cost £110 for 2 people but we both considered it to be worth the money once you compare the cost of this to cheaper cruises that do not serve dinner. The cruise began at 8pm so we were able to enjoy the daylight, dusk and nightfall and the beautiful colours of the red light district and lit up bridges reflected in the water during our 2.5 hour trip. The food was gorgeous and we were given complimentary glasses of sparkling wine followed by beers, wine or soft drink which were also included in the cost. If you have the money to spare and would like a romantic evening, this is definitly the way to go, however if you would like to enjoy the sights at a more reasonable cost, there are candlelit cruises for £22 per person that last 2 hours.

I have visited Amsterdam a few times over the years but mainly in the autumn/winter and as this was my first summer trip and the sun was shining, we chose to treat ourselves and take a 30 minute horse and carriage ride around the cobbled streets which we caught from Dam Square and cost 45 euros regardless of how many people are in the carriage, as there were 4 of us, this worked out relatively cheap and was one of the highlights. You can hire them for longer (an hour) or for less but we felt 30 minutes was perfect.

Overall we found the Dutch to be very friendly, helpful and with a laid back un-hurried approach that was conducive to a relaxing time despite the apparent hustle and bustle of a vibrant city. When we return again in the future, myself and the other 3 members of my group will definitly be staying at the Museum Square Hotel again.

• Liked — Difficult to choose between the location, friendliness and comfort of the hotel
  • Disliked — One small bug-bear that we were at the front but this didn't put me off and I would stay in the front again
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank FeetDoTravel
Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2008

This really is a good hotel. It looks quite expensive, but first Amsterdam hotels are expensive generally and second it's worth every cent. Just as the other reviewers, I was amazed at how friendly the staff were, it feels like a real family hotel. And we got free coffee on arrival, too.
The room is spacious, quiet in spite of the trams outside and clean. It's nice that the minibar is just a fridge for stuff you buy yourself (and of course you're told where to buy stuff the minute you just think of it) and not a load of overpriced drinks you don't want.
It's not smack in the centre, but that's probably a good thing. The Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum are just ten minutes' walk away, and Leidseplein (for the nightlife and restaurants) only twenty, and of course you can take the tram. The neighbourhood is nice and quiet, with more than a few cafes and a convenience store: look for the AH logo near the entrance to the underground parking on van Baerlestraat near the Van Gogh Museum. For shoppers, PC Hooftstraat is just ten minutes' walk away.
Transportation tips: if this is your first time in Amsterdam, your best bet from Schiphol is the airport shuttle minibus: look for the green Connexxion shuttle and ask the driver where to buy tickets. If you feel comfortable with Amsterdam's public transport, it is faster (and much cheaper) to take the train to Amsterdam-Zuid (there are loads) and then tram 5 to Concertgebouw, rather than going all the way to the Central Station.

• Stayed May 2008
2 Thank Edricson
west sussex england
Reviewed 14 May 2008

we stayed at this hotel,unknowingly when we booked it over the holiday of queens day ,30th april,so it was all rather different in Amsterdam to what we were expecting. The hotel was quite a walk from the centre but there are trams from a nearby stop(not on Queens day so we walked and walked). The reception staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, actually all the Dutch people were during our stay.its easy to catch a bus from the airport which stops almost outside the hotel and only takes about 25mins. The breakfasts were adequate.but nothing special.There is a fridge in the rooms that you can use for your own purchases eg milk. There is only a shower in the bathrooms and we had twin beds despite booking a double. Everywhere was kept clean although I agree with some others that it needs some refurbishment in decor and carpets in public places.Overall a pleasant stay and good value.

• Liked — reception staff
  • Disliked — twin beds
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank carriemcleod
Woodbury, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 May 2008

I just returned from five nights in Amsterdam, four of which I spent at the Museum Square Hotel. The location is great. It's right on a tram line (#16) and practically next door to a number of museums, including the Rijksmuseum and the VanGogh, both of which were great. The front desk staff was very friendly and helped me figure out how to buy and use passes for the tram & bus. The neighborhood has a number of sidewalk cafes and good restaurants to select from and is away from the chaos of Dam Square. The main drawback to this property is that it needs to be remodeled. It just feels tired.

• Liked — Front desk staff was absolutely wonderful
  • Disliked — Carpet all needs to be replaced.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Dave G
PA
Reviewed 29 April 2008

This little hotel is an absolute gem! My husband and I spent 7 nights here the first week in April and were delighted by every aspect of our stay. The room was charming and along with the bathroom spotlessly clean. The very comfy beds are made with pristine white duvets and shams without the usual suspiciously unlaundered bedspreads of most hotels. What a plus! Fridge and electric tea kettle with coffee and tea and china cups and saucers in the room made evenings extremely pleasant. The location is perfect if your main interests are the Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum, just a 5 minute walk, but all the trams stop nearby, so nothing is really far away. And, the famed Concertgebouw is right on the corner! Breakfast was included with our room and we really enjoyed the convenience and variety in the lovely breakfast room each morning. The staff in this hotel go above and beyond the call of duty! Roel and Lisan are amazing. We took many day trips by train, and they always had train schedules and tram numbers ready for us. Book here with confidence! We'll be back again soon for sure.

• Liked — Everything was perfect!
  • Disliked — No drawbacks to this hotel at all!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family