I booked the hotel on a flight-hotel deal which was good value for money and therefore think that rooms that are given in this sort of deal are not necessarily the best ones. I also chose the 3* hotel as accommodation was not a priority.
The Eden Hotel is located in the centre of Amsterdam and along one of the canals.
Its central location makes it at walking distance from most landmarks, and walking in Amsterdam is very pleasant as you follow the canals.
For example it takes 20mn to walk to the Central Station if you enjoy walking, otherwise it is a 10€ taxi ride.
It is only 4/5mn walk from the famous Flower Market and another further 5mn walk to the Dam which is the city’s central square.
There are a reasonable choice of cafes and restaurants in the streets nearby the hotel, but I suggest you walk to the Dam where you will find all sorts of restaurants, shops and entertainment in the nearby streets.
The reception staffs are overall friendly and helpful apart from the occasional unsmiling person, but this happens everywhere in this category of hotel.
There is a concierge desk where you can buy tickets for tours and museums. I recommend doing this as it saves you from queuing (unless you buy your tickets online).
We found though that there was not necessarily a perfect coordination between the information given at the reception desk and that given by the concierge, and we spent 5mn going from a counter to another one to sort out excursions payments!
For security reasons (which we were very happy about) we had to use our cards to use the lift but we found it a bit slow and only used the staircase as we were at a low level.
We also had to use our card to open the door accessing the staircase, and once more we felt very happy with this security arrangement.
The rooms were not huge but absolutely fine, we even had an additional bed added. It was a bit crammed but we still could circulate easily.
There was absolutely no view, except of the wall of the other part of the building, and there was no view of the sky either! This was acceptable as we booked a flight-hotel package and knew that we would be allocated this sort of room.
It was not an issue as we used our rooms for sleeping only; we didn’t spend any amount of time indoors during the day.
The bathroom shower flexible was old and twisted, which was very surprising as the bathroom was new and extremely clean.
We only realised the following morning that the flexible was twisted and was the cause of the low pressure of the water and I mentioned it straight away to the reception.
The flexible was immediately changed for a new one, but I was a bit surprised that none of the cleaning staffs realised the poor state of the flexible and didn't have it changed earlier on!
Overall the Eden Hotel does a good job for a weekend or a very short stay unless you are looking for excellent quality and want to treat yourself. I was there teenage girls and the room was not a priority.
As I wrote earlier it is a typical 3* hotel located in a big European city and there are a lot of bits and pieces that don’t work perfectly as it happens in any other 3* star hotel anywhere else, and make me say that the Eden Hotel is average.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eden Hotel Amsterdam – Hampshire Eden is in a unique location. Right on the Amstel and with an abundance of hot spots within easy reach: Rembrandtplein, the Stopera, Waterlooplein, De Kleine Komedie and Theater Carre. Various museums are close by including Rembrandthuis Museum and Foam photography museum. The area is also teaming with options for dining out as well as fantastic shopping streets, such as Kalverstraat and Leidsestraat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Lastminute, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Amsterdam Eden Hotel
- Eden Hotel Amsterdam
- Best Western Eden Hotel
- Best Western Amsterdam
- Best Western Eden Amsterdam
- Best Western Hotel Amsterdam