“An Excellent Choice!”

Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam
Ranked #182 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 6 July 2013

The location was excellent! Service was satisfactory. We have been to Amsterdam before stayed just around the corner but somehow missed your hotel. Your rate was reasonabl! We would surely recommend fomilies and friends. Thank you to all your friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Write a ReviewReviews (3,001)

Reviewed 4 July 2013

The location of this hotel in Amsterdam is great, but for the rest it did not get me going. The Hampshire chain sometimes surprises me as they can have good hotels for an interesting price, so good value for money, but most of the times it is below average. Like his hotel: damp and cramps rooms, lots of maintenance to be done. Clean, but that's it. Would not return here, much greater places to stay.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I stayed for a week in this hotel on a business trip last week, 24-29 June. The room was very small and dark and the internet connection was very poor although I was charged for 15Euros extra per day for using the WiFi in the room. There was no instruction as to how to make the connection and it took me quite a while but still could not figure out the way. So, I called the Reception for help. It took them for about an hour and several more calls before an assistant was sent to me - I must say that this gentleman himself was very nice and helpful. There is no kettle in the room, so you can't make your own tea or coffee by yourself. But I am not sure if this is just practice in this hotel of it is a general practice across Amsterdam. This is my first visit. I like Amsterdam, impressed in particular with its classic houses by the canal and find the people there really nice and friendly. And, they speak excellent English, making my life a lot easier during the stay. Sorry, but I am not going to recommend this hotel to anyone. One contact I made at the conference told me, however, that she stays with a B&B, in a house owned/run by a retired professor. 'My room is nice bright and big with several windows. I learned a lot about the city's history from this professor who has also showed us around the city'. 'He has two rooms at the top of his house for rent-out. He cooks very nice breakfast for us...' She paid 40Euro per night, probably half of what I paid for this hotel. I learned that there is a website called something like 'Amsterdam B&B'. That is the place where you can get such kind of arrangement. And, people can also rent rooms on the house-boat with this website. I will surely try this website next time.

Room Tip: Try to get hold of a B&B via website
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Minghua Z
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Hampshire 4 star side of this hotel & left yesterday. I accidentally left a very irreplaceable item in the safe..... A small black purse with a SD card from my camera with a months worth of holiday photos. I rang the duty Manager immediately once I got to Zurich. She assured me that she would look into it & let me know. I've rang 2 times since & also emailed & sent a private message on their Facebook page. I have been assured by the Managers that they will do all they can to find my most precious item. Fingers crossed I'll get it back. Wish me luck. I'm beside myself with worry.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Janice F
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I only stayed one night, and enjoyed it immensely. This is a fine hotel, and it's very quiet, which I appreciate. Staff was friendly and courteous. The hotel is in a terrific location, beside a major canal, and a hundred meters from Van Goh Plein. Room was very comfortable and the bathroom was modern and clean. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We weren't expecting much from this hotel so when we walked in we were so pleased. It's very modern with it's own bar and nice decor. Room was very nice bath and shower, mini bar, kettle and fridge spare pillow comfy bed. Near the main bars in ram square so it's easy to get to at the end of the night.
We had a stain on the carpet that's my only complaint.
We are already planning our next mini getaway at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank lauraf91
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Having read other reviews, at check-in we asked for a quiet room. [This is wise -- it fronts on Amstel which can be noisy at night.] Our room was quiet. The view, however, was of a roof and the window of the room next to us. It was impossible to tell what the weather was (e.g., raining?).
Upfront I want to give the most significant drawback of this room, which applies only if more than one person is in the room. The "door" to the bathroom is an opaque gray color. It is not a door -- there is no latch, nor a seal. It simply swings in and balances in place when closed. I mention this because the person in the bedroom can hear everything (and I mean everything) that is going on in the bathroom. The bathroom is small, and the toilet is right next to the door. The person in the bedroom can clearly see the legs of the person sitting on the toitet and what they are doing once they stand up. I mention this not to be gross, but simply to say that opaque doors are a trend, but in this hotel, it is aburd to use this device. It would be better to have a real door and to put a full length mirror on the door.
In fact, that would be a big plus, since there is no mirror in the room. So if someone is in the bathroom, the person in the bedroom has no mirror.
There is a room air conditioning unit. It is noisy.
Lighting is ok.
There are no towel racks/rails at all in the bathroom. If one person has showered, where do the damp towels go when the other person is using it? [Shower is powerful, and temperature control great.]
There is free wireless in the lobby. It worked for one of us, not the other.
The breakfast buffet was ok, but not as good (in either selection or quality) as one usually gets at this price in other European cities (what I got the week before in Barcelona was FAR superior).
We were on the 4th floor. We always waited for the elevators (and some people started walking up every time). There simply are not enough elevators for this size hotel.
The staff were not friendly, but frankly, they looked tired and overworked.
The location -- excellent. I suppose that's how this hotel stays in business.
We were in Amsterdam for a conference at the nearby university. Perhaps those on a short break, who want to go out to bars, would not have these concerns.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business