“Poor housekeeping”

Ranked #206 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Dublin, Ireland
“Poor housekeeping”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Tiny room, tight squeeze for 2 people. We booked a twin room for one night. There was no shower gel in the shower, and only one set of towels for 2 people. I raised the issue with the reception, and she asked me if I had reported it. Bit of a challenge when you are in the shower, and somewhat pointless when you are done!

Good location, but I wouldn't book it for more than a bed. It's expensive too - I'm sure Amsterdam can do better!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time in writing your experiences.
We will use your comments to improve our level of service.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

The management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
danbenjoseph
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is a typical European three stars hotel. The lobby is large and has a nice bar area. The front office service is spotty. I have received generally good service, but waiting times are long and sometimes the clerks are not helpful. The elevators and corridors are small and narrow, but that what you can expect from an older hotel in Europe, so I had no problem with that. The room itself is spacious enough and the bathroom is nice. The room is very well kept, modern, comfortable and very clean. As I took a less expensive room, I had no view and the window overlooked the walls of adjacent buildings. The breakfast is very expensive at Euro 18. The location is faboulous walking distance to the Dam Square and just two minutes walk to Rembrandt Square with its many restaurants and clubs. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear guest,

We appreciate your thoughts regarding our service; it will serve as an encouragement as we continue striving to provide exceptional service always. Moreover, it is a pleasure reading your comments regarding the room and staff.

Thank you once more for sharing your experiences with us on TripAdvisor and we hope to welcome you back as our guests in the future!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

The best thing about this hotel is its location. It's within easy walking distance of everything, right on the Amstel close to Rembrandtplein but set far enough back from all the bars to be sufficiently quiet at night.

The rooms are basic, and almost all are only equipped with twin beds, rather than doubles. There are no tea and coffee making facilities or water provided in the rooms. However, in a city as interesting as Amsterdam who wants to spend a lot of time in their room? It's a perfectly adequate place to sleep.

The concierge and reception staff are multi lingual and very pleasant, the breakfast staff less so. We did notice that customer service doesn't seem to be high on the list of Dutch priorities compared to in other countries though, so it's likely that this is perfectly normal!

The breakfast was very good; a choice of hot and cold food with the usual cereal, toast, juice and pastries in addition to eggs and bacon and cold meat / cheese.

We'd probably stay here again, it's not a luxury hotel but perfectly fine.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time in writing your experiences. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Netherlands
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I have mixed feelings about Amsterdam. I know the city well (ie I used to live there), but I find it trying.

Part of the reason is the ongoing problem of finding affordable quality accommodation. Finding a good last-minute hotel room in the city centre is always an expensive proposition, especially on a holiday weekend. And finding a quality room is always tricky. But that's part of the city's wonky charm, I suppose. I'm grateful for the inroads the Hampshire chain has made in the Dutch hotel market, because this chain sometimes seems to offer nice rooms at a relatively good price.

That happened last weekend with this hotel. I booked a single at the last minute and it was fairly affordable for a middle-of-the-road quality chain hotel. I saved 15 euros by booking directly on their website rather than through a site.

The hotel is located on the Amstel, very close to the Rembrandtplein and Waterloo metro station. If you don't know Amsterdam, this means it's close to the centre of a busy square filled with popular bars, and yet overlooking the water. Mulligan's is just a few doors down.

A presentable hotel, looking 3 star or 4 star once you get in there. Busload of Japanese tourists. Nice big hotel lobby with the reception in the back, so not the kind of place where your comings and goings feel monitored. A lift!

They make you sign a no-smoking document when you get there. And there is a sign in the room warning of unpleasant things if you smoke tobacco or cannabis in the room. Necessary in Amsterdam.

The room was what you would expect (small but nice). Three or four star. The bed was almost queen sized but I understand some singles in the hotel have narrow beds. Tiny window. Some flat space. And a place to put your bag and hang your clothes. Small window. A safe. Free and fast wifi! The TV showed an unusually small selection of stations, and no watchable English stations.

The bathroom was -- and I kid you not -- one metre by two metres. Tiniest. Bathroom. Ever. It seemed clean but you have to wonder how the cleaners could really get in there to do a proper job. The soap was dispensed from a device labelled "Rituals" but who cares really when it's in a dispenser.

The room did not have a coffee maker and there was no complimentary coffee service downstairs. (Dutch people will be confused by that comment. Why should a hotel offer its guests free coffee?) The breakfast buffet (18 euros) looked nice, but it was standard and nothing special, and when I went in it was unapproachable because of the gaggle of 50 Japanese bus tourists. Fortunately, there is an enormous Starbucks, open at 7 am even on Sunday, just around the corner.

The walls are thin, which is very common in Amsterdam hotels.

I'd say it's about a 3 or 3.5 star hotel, but I'm giving it 4/5 because, well, I had a great night's sleep there and that's what it's all about in the end.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank zwerf
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time writing a review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

England
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Just returned from a 3 night stay over the bank holiday. We walked from central station to the hotel and it was easy to find. We arrived one hour earlier than check in but got into our room. The receptionist was the most unfriendliest person we met in 4 days in Amsterdam. No smile or anything pleasant from her. Our room was an ok size but not very clean. I took slippers and im so pleased I did as the carpets were dirty and hard, there is no underlay and it cord type carpets. The bathroom had a good hairdryer and Rituals toiletries. There was dispensers on the walls but nothing inside them!! We were left 1 showergel and 2 shampoos for 2 of us for 3 nights!! I think this is an insult especially when i emailed in advance asking about toiletries!! There was 2 plastic glasses in the bathroom that were cracked so unusable. I ended up buying a drink from the bar so that i could take the glass back with me!!

The beds were the best bit and we slept like babies. Really comfy even if it was 2 singles pushed together.

The general cleanliness of the hotel wasnt great. There was an empty champage bottle with 2 broken glasses outside the lift for 2 days and was still there when we left. We witnessed 4 staff get in and out the lift and not do anything about the items. i found this terrible and unbelievable.

The location is excellent and within walking distance of most things with the ice bar a few doors away.

Not sure I would return to this hotel if back in the city, although we loved Amsterdam.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us.
The comments have been forwarded to the team and it would be a great pleasure to welcome you back as our guest!

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We recently stayed here for two nights to meet with friends. Although it is very conveniently located and on a canal, I felt like I was in a dorm room! The rooms are very small and basic. The beds were not comfortable and the bathroom tiny with no storage. The walls are so thin that I could hear every single sound next door all night....use your imagination! We wanted to be on the canal but could hear people yelling all night so I did not get a good nights rest either night. The staff was very helpful and even had tickets to the main attractions which made our wait time much less at the museums. I would not go back here with so many other options in this fabulous city!

Room Tip: away form the street
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Extremely basic. i guess a good room if you are aout all daya nd just looking for a place to sleep.

Carpet in the room didnt feel/smell that clean and bathroom was extremely small and soap dispenser for shower was empty.

View was on other rooms but because I was just looking for a place to sleep after a long night it was not that important.

Breakfast was very basic and though there was a reasonable choice of cold and warm dishes the quality of the dishes was minimal - not worth the 18 euros i paid.

All in all location is great but hotel is way too basic to feel comfortable for more than one or two days.

Room Tip: skip the breakfast not worth it. Go the the laplace instead 5 minutes walk away
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you very much in taking the time writing a review, it is only through guest comments such as yours that we can constantly improve our service. I am sorry we did need meet your expectations.
We do hope this will not deter you from visitng the Eden Hotel Amsterdam in the future.

The management

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels