“sorely needs maintenance”

Ranked #191 of 369 Hotels in Amsterdam
Los Angeles, California
“sorely needs maintenance”
Reviewed 7 November 2010

-no working "down" button on any lift; glass door on bathroom does not provide privacy and doesn't latch; "double" rooms too small for 2 people with luggage; if taking bath one must stand up to get soap out of squeeze container; there is NO bar soap or ANY hand soap; rowdy neighborhood with no police presence; great view of canal, tho.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Babs077

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Riyadh
Reviewed 1 November 2010

The hotel's location is great. Some shortcomings such as the slow lift that goes up to the fifth floor, where my room was, but for some reason you can't call it from there and you have to go one floor down. I stayed for 6 nights and I enjoyed the hotel for its modern yet simple design. The facelift the hotel has undergone didn't unfortunately include new hallways & a lift. It's always full of people checking in and checking out so the hotel's popularity is undoubted. Clean, refurbished rooms & tidy toilets but book in advance for a great deal. Don't bother watching TV though, unless if you like watching news reruns every 5 minutes, or can understand Deutch. Yosuf at the conceirge is great and knows his business well.

1 Thank OzzyKSA
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 October 2010

We had just stayed in 4 star hotels before coming to this hotel. There was a clear difference between the 4 star hotels and this 3 star hotel. The walls had some scuffs and the shower floor was damaged but it still seemed fairly clean. The room was very small. On the plus side, they did have free internet, comfy beds and a decent location. Rembrandt square is very close by and has cute cafes and a few nightclubs. It is also right on the canal which was very pretty to walk along.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2010

I stayed here for two nights in October for a weekend with 3 girlfriends. The hotel was really good for our needs. Breakfast was included in the price & I'm sure if we got up earlier we'd have benefited from the smoked salmon that had been on offer. The staff in the restaurant were young & busy. The concierge was superbly professional & helpful with taxi to airport at a good price 40euros. It was a good location for us to get to bars & restaurants.
Best thing about the room was the bed, wow it was amazing best hotel bed ever!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anna H
Antibes, France
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Some rooms are very close to a night club in the same street, and the noise during the night was really terrible. Next time I will choose another hotel.

1 Thank Jardon187217

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Scotland
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Having read the reviews of this hotel and others in Amsterdam, no where seemed to come off well (or at least, certainly not those within our budget!) I don't know whether we were just lucky, but our experience of this hotel was nothing like the complaints we had read.

We were in Amsterdam for the Marathon and stayed a couple days after to do the 'tourist thing' too. Location was perfect - very pretty on the canal and so close to tram and metro links - plus you could walk places very easily.

Lobby area and bar very modern and staff friendly on check-in / out and any time we asked questions of them. Excellent English - par for the course in Holland. I had requested a quiet room and we were given a room on the 5th floor (top), which was certainly quiet. Lovely room - clean, spacious (again, were we just lucky as people seem to complain the rooms are too small??) and lovely modern bathroom (great hairdryer too!). Because we were 5th floor, we looked out over the wall people have complained about. Comfortable bed and TV gave us some English news channels & dutch radio - as we weren't planning on spending much time in our room, TV was not a priority for us!

Breakfast was not included in our booking and we were however shocked at the 19.50euro price of this!! We decided to eat elsewhere. On marathon morning however, the restaurant staff were very kind to us - we had brought our own porridge and they made this up for us - no charge - which I thought was very good of them (I got charged for this in London - hence the suprise!)

I've stayed off Dam Sq before and that put me right off Amsterdam. This location out at Waterlooplein was far superior - less dirty / seedy area, and Rembrantplein just behind hotel for cafes, food, bars etc. At the price we paid (£370 for 2people / 3nights + flights) this hotel is not to be scoffed at and we would definately recommend (especially for future marathon runners).

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I tried to book at the Eden Hotel near the Rijksmuseum, but apparently when you click to the booking site it books you to whatever group property that has space. So I found myself at this inferior property. I agreed to have the breakfast added to my room charge with the promise that if it wasn't what I wanted I could cancel subsequent days. Finding that there was little to no fruit, and not much that I wanted to eat, I tried to cancel after the first day only to be told that it was non-refundable. I explained that the woman who sold it to me had told me it was cancelable and that I agreed to the breakfast with that stipulation - but the desk clerk was unwilling to budge and said that the 15 euro charge per day is non-refundable. This hotel is in a poor location with poor service DO NOT STAY HERE.