“Great Location, Great Value, Great Breakfast”

Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam
Ranked #185 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 7 January 2011

We were pleasantly surprised when we checked into the Eden. As it is definately a cheaper hotel, we didn't have any expectations of it.
The location is great- right across the road from Rembrandtplein Tram stop (if you go in through the lobby of the sister hotel- I think it's called the Eden Americana? Then you can walk straight through to this hotel.
They provide free internet access in the bar, which is a pleasant surprise, and also free wifi on the ground floor. We were lucky to have a ground floor room which meant we could access it from the room aswell.
Lots of great restaurants all within easy walking distance to the hotel, as is the flower market and Anne Franks House. If you want to go to the red light district, then it's easy on the trams. Amsterdam's public transport system is great, and very easy to use too.
The breakfast is phenomenal- I have travelled extensively, and definately one of the better buffets I have had!
The rooms were clean, the beds were very comfy, although I don't think they do doubles- but the 2 singles pushed together serves a similar purpose!
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 January 2011

I made a booking for 1 night (31.12.2010) at Eden Hotel Amsterdam through booking.com because the location and the price of the room was ok. On 01.01.2011, I paid the price of the room while checking out which was 105 euros. Then when I came back to home, I noticed a big balance difference in my bank account and when I called the bank, they said the Eden Hotel charged me on 31.12.2010 and 01.01.2011 for a total of 904 euros! When I called the booking.com and the hotel, they said the money was not charged it was just blocked but the thing is nobody told me about this blocking thing! This negligence of the hotel staff left me in a very difficult situation since I had to pay my rent that day but I couldn't pay it because they have blocked 904 euros in my account! I cannot understand how they block such a big amount of money for only 1 night and especially without saying anything.. So be very careful if you decide to stay at this hotel!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank clementine_11
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Stayed here for a couple of days in November. I choose this hotel on the basis of the price and location, both of which I could not argue with. However, I found the reception staff to be quite rude and the room was quite small. Oh, and when I asked for recommendations of local restaurants the only recommendation given was the hotel's own!

Despite all that I would consider staying here again if the price was right as the rooms were clean and the location is hard to beat for the money.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2010

A bar was located on the other side of the street, we notice during the night. VERY NOISY till 5 in the morning. When we complained the next day, they told us that this happens during the weekend. Why didn't they tell before...!?
The bed wasn.t clean and the bathroom was clean by first view...
Ladies at the desk were very nice and helpfull. Location manager learned how to get a long with complains. So NOT helpfull and we still haven't heard from him.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2010

So we booked our stay at the Eden Hotel for 3 nights in September back in April, but due to work committments we realized we won't be able to make our trip to Europe. We called the hotel a couple weeks after we made the reservation asking them to not refund us the money, but give us a coupon or credit to be able to stay another time within the next 1 year. We had only postponed our Europe trip and were definitely looking for an accomodation in Amsterdam except on a later date. The hotel Management made us spin in circles for days, only to find out that they would not budge at all and cooperate with the customer. Ofcourse, we ended up losing our money but the experience with this hotel management was much worse than the money we lost.
We understand what non-refundable booking means, which is why we never asked for a refund. All that we were hoping for was be able to book on a later date. But apparently, this hotel cares more about short term profit than building customer relationships.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aztravelernew
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Nice hotel. no so big rooms, but comfortable. We had a great view from the window, on the small room at the last floor. Room have TV, closet with the safe, bad for two, table, bathroom. Hotel is situated about 20 minutes walk to the town center. There is a park and the europecar office about 5 minutes walk. Also the tram right near the hotel takes you where you want to go.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2010

The price of the hotel could not be beat. Clean room, no frills, but excellent location. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple