“Great location, overall stay in this hotel Average”

Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam
Ranked #192 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Leeds
“Great location, overall stay in this hotel Average”
Reviewed 15 January 2011

We arrived on 11th Jan fairly early in the morning (due to flight time)s and we were expecting not to be able to check-in. To our surprise the desk were able to check us in and away we went for the day. They asked for a Credit Card, something we weren't expecting.......
The room was small, but clean and adequate for our needs. The bed was comfy, although we're not used to a double bed, so smaller than we'd hoped for. Occasionally you could hear other guests in the room opposite, but this didn't bother us too much.
No tea or coffee in the room, which would have been nice to have in the morning. Oh and there's a safe in the room.
The hotel is a great location for walking round the city and would go back there again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 13 January 2011

We chose this hotel mostly because of the location - not so far from both the city centrum and main museums. But this seems to be its only advantage.
When we were checking in, I said two times to the receptionist that I want to pay in cash and was already holding this money in my hands. But she said she needs my credit card number for any accidentals. I didn't have one with me, so we gave the card of my girlfriend. We were really surprised when she received an SMS from the bank saying 350 euro were blocked on her card (full room cost + 50 euro deposit). When I asked her why she didn't warn us about this operation - she said "It's ok, it's not a charge, I just blocked the money and it will be unblocked when you check out". But this procedure can last up to 45 days (!) and my girlfriend needed this money on next day, because the bank should have charged her monthly loan payment. And because there is no such bank in the Netherlands it was impossible to add any money to the card. And now she has to pay additional charges from the bank because of the unprofessional staff of Eden Hotel Amsterdam!
Apart from the unprofessional staff, the beds in our room were terrible! I'm not a fastidious person and can sleep practically everywhere, especially when I'm tired. But I have never slept on such an uncomfortable bed! Although our room was in a quiet part of the hotel and we didn't hear any noise from the street, we woke up for several times during every night we stayed there.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vvunderbar

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Midlands
Reviewed 10 January 2011

This hotel was great for the price that we got it at, it was in a real good location not to far from shops and restaurant. Dam square is also within walking distance about 10-15mins. The rooms were nice and not small at all. The reception staff were always friendly and the bar was a nice atmosphere.
Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
midwest
Reviewed 10 January 2011

The hotel is across the street from a canal. During one of our canal rides we went right past it.
I thought the room was wonderfully decorated. I LOVED the giant lighted tulip picture used as a headboard. It really made the room look lovely. All else pretty basic.
No room amenities (coffee/tea etc). Modern feel in the decor though.
A nice bar/gathering area in the Lobby with free computer access that was great .
Staff were very nice. Depending on what you will be seeing in Amsterdam I think the location was fine. We walked a block or two behind the hotel and had Tram access.
Which is how we got back to the Airport. We took the Tram/to the Train Station/and the Train to the Airport.
There are Lockers at the Train Station where you can store your luggage after checking out of the Hotel. That was very nice on our last day there. We also picked up the Canal Rides at the Train Station (Hop On/Hop Off) This is a must to see Amsterdam! There are several different colored routes to take. Really enjoyed the relaxation of the canal rides on our last day there. It's been a few months since I was there but would absolutely stay here again if ever back in Amsterdam!

Stayed September 2010
Perth
Reviewed 7 January 2011

We were pleasantly surprised when we checked into the Eden. As it is definately a cheaper hotel, we didn't have any expectations of it.
The location is great- right across the road from Rembrandtplein Tram stop (if you go in through the lobby of the sister hotel- I think it's called the Eden Americana? Then you can walk straight through to this hotel.
They provide free internet access in the bar, which is a pleasant surprise, and also free wifi on the ground floor. We were lucky to have a ground floor room which meant we could access it from the room aswell.
Lots of great restaurants all within easy walking distance to the hotel, as is the flower market and Anne Franks House. If you want to go to the red light district, then it's easy on the trams. Amsterdam's public transport system is great, and very easy to use too.
The breakfast is phenomenal- I have travelled extensively, and definately one of the better buffets I have had!
The rooms were clean, the beds were very comfy, although I don't think they do doubles- but the 2 singles pushed together serves a similar purpose!
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2011

I made a booking for 1 night (31.12.2010) at Eden Hotel Amsterdam through booking.com because the location and the price of the room was ok. On 01.01.2011, I paid the price of the room while checking out which was 105 euros. Then when I came back to home, I noticed a big balance difference in my bank account and when I called the bank, they said the Eden Hotel charged me on 31.12.2010 and 01.01.2011 for a total of 904 euros! When I called the booking.com and the hotel, they said the money was not charged it was just blocked but the thing is nobody told me about this blocking thing! This negligence of the hotel staff left me in a very difficult situation since I had to pay my rent that day but I couldn't pay it because they have blocked 904 euros in my account! I cannot understand how they block such a big amount of money for only 1 night and especially without saying anything.. So be very careful if you decide to stay at this hotel!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank clementine_11
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Stayed here for a couple of days in November. I choose this hotel on the basis of the price and location, both of which I could not argue with. However, I found the reception staff to be quite rude and the room was quite small. Oh, and when I asked for recommendations of local restaurants the only recommendation given was the hotel's own!

Despite all that I would consider staying here again if the price was right as the rooms were clean and the location is hard to beat for the money.

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple