“right in the heart of amsterdam great value”

Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam
Ranked #183 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 15 February 2011

well i have to say that i read some reviews before i booked this hotel and thought that i would be put off but i am glad that i did book and can say that the hotel was in the heart of the city right on the canel the 2 rooms we booked where very clean tea and coffee in the rooms the staff where very helpfull the breakfast was great the local bars and resturants where very helpfull also clean food was first class we went on the dinner cruise which is 4 courses and all beers wines soft drinks where in the price a great way to tour the canels at nite in all a very good three days at the eden hotel and would not have a problem in staying here again later this year

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,952)

Reviewed 15 February 2011

Recently stayed for a few nights, nice hotel with pleasant staff and a helpful concierge. We stayed in a standard room with a queen bed, the room was small but nicely decorated, very simple. I think with regards to noice levels, it would depend what room you are in, but our room overlooked a bar, so at the weekend it could be a bit noisy, but not overly so. It is situated just around from Rembrant square, where there are many cafes and restaurants at which to eat, as well as access to several trams into the Dam Square and beyond. Overall a nice, basic hotel.

Reviewed 10 February 2011

Very impressed with this 3 star hotel. Nicely backlit (with tulips) beds with the best mattresses and linen I've had in a while. It was a daily struggle to go sightseeing!
Staff very professional but also casual and friendly. I would definitely stay here again if only for the comfy beds!

Reviewed 4 February 2011

My boyfriend and I were very disappointed with this hotel, especially as we had booked after looking at reviews on this website. When checking in we were offered an 'upgrade' to an appartment which we took-I suggest that you do not do this! I think that the rooms in the main hotel are newer. The appartment (although very spacious and looking out over a canal) was falling apart- the kitchen tap fell off, the toilet door handle was falling off, one of the lamps in the room had had its cord cut in half, there were rips in the lounge, the light over the kitchen table didn't work, there was no soap in the bathroom when we arrived, and I found hair and old contact lenses in the shower and in the bathroom basin!! We told staff about this, and in fairness we were given soap straight away and the next day the bathroom was properly cleaned. We were also offered a room change. Although the kitchen tap was fixed, the light over the table was never fixed.

On a more positive note the hotel is in an excellent location, very close to the train/tram line and very close to a few nice restaurants/pubs. There is also free internet.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Great location just 10 minutes away from anything.
Only stayed 1 night with my partner. Took the basic room which was well appointed but small.
Staff ok... some very cheering and helpful some could do with a smile on their face...
Concierge desk great!! Very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. In 5 minutes he come up with good tips and explanations... a good mix of attractions and things to see / visit and less touristy stuff complemented with personal recommendations!
Recommendable and to go back to... but will book a bigger room next time!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2011

How do I even begin to describe how terrible my experience at this hotel was?! Stayed three nights at the Eden Hotel with several other colleagues when we travelled to Amsterdam for a big industry event. I was among the lucky few that managed to get a double room but for those with a single room, there was barely enough space to stretch your arms out, let alone have a suitcase in there. The single rooms are TINY!
My room was at the end of a dark, dingy corridor and I was greeted with a sickening stench emanating from the open drain in the bathroom. Since there was no air freshener, I had to use my deodorant spray to mask the smell! The shower was really dirty and water did not drain well, so I was left showering with soapy water reaching up to my ankles. Further, the shower gel dispensers were not fitted properly and kept falling off. The carpet in the room also seemed very dirty despite its dark brown colour. A colleague even found pieces of broken glass on the floor in his room, which goes to show that cleanliness is not a priority here.
A few other incidents that I have to mention:
- Customer service is terrible. I had couriered a large number of corporate materials from the UK for use at the trade fair and phoned the hotel ahead to ask them to hold it for me. Reception insisted they had never received the parcel. This was despite the parcel being clearly marked with my name and me having a delivery confirmation from the couriers! This meant that I was unable to take any corporate brochures to the trade fair and was in no position to have another delivery sent from the UK at such a late stage, which was a big issue for us. I asked several people at the hotel and the concierge was not in the least bit interested in helping me out - even walking off at one point, never to be seen again, while I was using his desk phone to speak to the couriers. Finally on the second day after more persuasion, a different concierge said that the parcel had been sitting in the luggage room for several days!
- A colleague phoned Reception to book a taxi and the call was promptly forwarded to the concierge's mobile phone. On check out, believe it or not, he was charged for that phone call!
Also, forget about taking the lift because it barely works and a very basic breakfast is 19 Euros! The positives: WiFi terminals in the lounge and the hotel is centrally located close to Rembrandt Square and several tram lines. We would have definitely changed hotels if we had the choice but due to the big trade fair taking place in Amsterdam, hotel rooms for large delegations were scarce. The state of this place is such a shame because the hotel can really do well with its competitive rates and prime location. Major improvements required!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2011

We stayed at the Eden Hotel for two nights in December. It's well placed, only a couple of hundred metres from a metro station looking out on one of Amsterdam's lovely canals. The room was cosy, but not too small, and very well heated in the middle of some seriously cold weather.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple