“Not as bad as you'd think”
Review of Hotel Damrak

and 1 more site!
Hotel Damrak
Ranked #311 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
“Not as bad as you'd think”
Reviewed 1 December 2008

After reading a lot of the one star reviews on here, I was a little nervous...but my expectations were definitely exceeded. Yes, it's grim and dark and old, but that's part of the experience. You don't go to Amsterdam to stay at a Marriott. If you don't want any surprises, then yeah, go for your chain hotel and be pleasantly bored. The Damrak is definitely anything but boring...

I would say the best thing about the hotel is the Argentinian restaurant downstairs, where guests receive 10% off of their meals. Also, the wireless was faultless. I'm a student and rely on the internet to stay up to date with my classes via Blackboard, so internet is always a big deal for me. I never had a problem. Finally, the location...you really can't beat it. You're smack in the center of the city, less than a five minute walk from the Central Station, and you can just step outside and have your choice of dozens of cuisines and things to do. Definitely a touristy area, but convenient.

Now onto the "grim" - there are no smoking signs in the rooms, and I requested a no smoking room...but what they don't tell you is that smoking IS allowed in the hallways. So everyone on my floor stepped out at all hours of the night to smoke, and that stench seeps into your own room. I woke up sick one morning. Really not healthy. Also, my sheets looked clean and new, but the comforter had an odd smell to it. I did without. The rooms are old and the carpets and decor are definitely from the 70s, but that kind of adds to its charm. Parts of the carpet are warn down and gritty, but I wasn't going to let that ruin my trip. I wore flip flops. The bathroom was definitely clean and the water pressure was really good.

My other complaint was not really the hotel's fault, but the guests are SUPER noisy. The walls are thin (old building), and it felt like the adult guests here were more ridiculous than any of the guests I encountered at various youth hostels. They were coming in at all hours of the night, pounding on everyones doors for fun, screaming in the halls, etc. For about three hours on Sunday night I had to listen to a sports game blasting and the groans and cheers of the men watching. There's only so many times a staff member can tell people to quiet down, so it's not their fault.

Another thing I thought was weird was that you had to leave your key whenever you left the building. You left it with the front desk clerk and picked it up when you came back. To me, it wasn't really an inconvenience, except for when one clerk was more interested in the internet than helping guests. But another clerk knew who I was and what room I had, so when she saw me coming she had my key ready and waiting, which was very nice. But then when I was thinking about it, I realized that it means the hotel staff knows exactly who is in their rooms and who isn't at all times, which didn't really feel secure to me...

When it boils down to it, if you want convenience and a low cost and aren't afraid of a little grit, the Damrak will exceed your needs. But if you're the type to complain about every little dent in the desk or chipped paint on the wall, go to a chain so you feel like you're back in the US.

• Liked — Convenience to tourist attractions and Central Station
  • Disliked — Noisy guests, smell of cigarette smoke wafting through the walls
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Doncaster
Reviewed 17 September 2008

I booked the Hotel Damrak for a 1 night stay for my wifes birthday in May 2008. I had read several mixed reviews so didn't know exactly what to expect and like everyone, was hoping for a good one.

We arrived at the Hotel at 10.30 am to be greeted by a very friendly reception lass that went out of her way to be nice. Cases were left in the luggage room which was cool as we couldn't get into our room until 1pm. We were in room 36 which was excellent and a double room. No view from the window other than the escape exit stairs but it was clean with clean towels and floors and clean walls and the tv worked perfect and had a remote. The bar and restaurant were cool with plenty to choose from. Breakfast is NOT bacon and eggs, lol, which was a litle disapointing, but when in Rome.....eat the continental crap they serve for breakfast.

Location is 100% awesome. You are a few yards from Dam Square and the famous red light district and cafes, the sex museum is like 5 buildings away and Centrall Station is close enough to nearly be able jump to.

This Hotel is in the middle of everything you would visit Amsterdam for. My wife and I are 35 and had an awsome time. The price for the room was great, £80 for us both. Would definitely stay in this Hotel again from our experience.

Hope my review helps. Please message me for any further details that I may have forgotton. Cheers, Steve

• Liked — Location and staff.
  • Disliked — Having to leave it to come home, lol.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Steve L
S.Wales
Reviewed 9 September 2008

This is probably the worst room I have ever stayed in. Mould on the walls and ceiling, missing carpet, rubbish in the draws etc. Staff were completely unimpressed with our complaints. There are far better hotels in amsterdam for the same price/ a little more, I suggest you stay anywhere other than here. AVOID.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Craigmogs

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

bangor
Reviewed 1 September 2008

the damrak hotel is absoloutly disgusting. The photos on the website are very misleading, they cant possibly be the hotel we stayed in! the rooms are nothing like the photos. they are dirty, dark and very grim. there were stains all over the walls, staff regularly walk into the room and you get a sense that anyone can and will just walk in at any time!
i cried on the first night as i was dissapointed by the hotel and i actually felt dirty even being in the room cus it was so mingin!
if we hadnt spent all or money on the hotel, we would definitly have looked for somewere half decent to stay!
never stay at hotel damrak! im convinced the only reason we didnt see rats was because even the rats wouldnt stay there.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank chickensBangor
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2008

This is the best, affordable, hotel on Damrak. Our room had clean sheets and towels everyday! The rooms are very well decorated, laminate effect floor, and modern dark wood. Staff are so helpful and polite. Its so easy to get to from Centraal Station. Great bar and restaurant! It even has a lift so no climbing stairs with heavy bags. We stayed in summer and our room was rather warm, but if you leave the window open all day it stays very cool. The bathroom was spotless. I would highly, highly recommend this hotel. If you're sitting there thinking should I shouldn't I comparing hotels, don't I done all that when I was booking, so glad I just booked this hotel!! Trust me from looking at the other hotels on Damrak I was going to book, this was the best.

• Liked — Rooms, Staff & Location
  • Disliked — Stairs BUT they have a lift!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
lincoln
Reviewed 20 August 2008

If you like mould, muck and stench then this hotel is for you!! We ended up getting another hotel, after losing our money on this one!! We could not unpack our clothes in this place, let alone sleep in the beds!! It was disgusting, we had 2 double rooms booked, both as bad, I even got taken to one of the better rooms to see if we could stay in one of them, but they weren't much better, all had mould on ceilings, filthy floors and upholstery, scratches all over the furniture etc. Wouldn't let my dog sleep there !!

• Liked — Getting out of there!!
  • Disliked — Everything!!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank haybon_8
Atlanta
Reviewed 31 July 2008

The only good thing about this hotel is that is close to the Red Light District and the Centraal Station. The restaurant is OK. The receptionists are rude and could care less about anything you ask them. Employees just barge into your room without knocking. No, there is not a chain on the door. One time two guys burst in to "check the safe". The other time a lady burst in to tell me that today was check out day. There is no air conditioning, no ceiling fan so no circulation when its hot out. The bathroom is tiny and smell of mildew. You can sit on the toilet and have your head in the sink at the same time. They make you pay a 20 Euro deposit for an iron then claim to know nothing of the deposit when you give the iron back. The TV is tiny and has no remote. So basically nothing special for you at all. Just a bed and a roof over your head.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff, room quality
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business