“HORRIBLE HOTEL”
Review of Hotel Damrak

Hotel Damrak
Ranked #292 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 6 May 2009

Don't waste your money at this disgusting (but expensive!) hotel. Hair in the bed, stains and holes on sheets, tons of mold on the bathroom ceiling. Not a comfortable stay at all; breakfast was a joke. Staff could care less. Unpleasant all the way around.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank SanDiegoLeslie

Reviewed 4 May 2009

We stayed at the Damrak for two nights. It was a horrible experience. Dark, dirty, moldy, and unfriendly. The bedding was stained and uncomfortable. On night two we noticed a pair of mens underwear in the closet. We had not noticed them the day before. Not quite sure they didn't rent the room out by the hour while we were out for the day! I had to take two sleeping pills to get through the second night in this hotel. I was uncomfortable, felt dirty and unsafe while I was there. Don't waste your money!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank alycat92107
Reviewed 23 April 2009

I stayed two nights in this awful hotel.The first night the bed sheets smell like someone had peed on them. And also there were funny noises coming from the closet. Next day I discovered that a mouse had eaten my bag with gifts I bought to bring home....

The receptionist was ironic and rude , nobody cared, they didn't say sorry or something else, they didn't give me my money back.
Don't ever stay in this hotel!!!!!

Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank polinaki
Reviewed 22 April 2009

myself and a friend stayed at this hotel in Easter week.The location is great in the center of the town, everything else sadly is not .The rooms are small,dirty and cramped.All of the materials in the room are old and feel musty.The staff at reception were very helpful but could do nothing to help when i complained.The bathroom was the smallest i have ever been in, while the overall treatment of guests was less than helpful.This is a dirty and grotty hotel to be avoided if you wish to experience this otherwise fine city....as they say At the Euro vision song contest nil pointes

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank judewhyte
Reviewed 20 April 2009

Booked two nights, months in advance, based on the central location and the great looking pictures on the website. Do not be fooled! The website is misleading. This is a thoroughly unpleasant hotel. Our small, dark and dingy room seemed essentially clean but everything appeared old and worn out. The twin beds were the smallest I have ever seen at any hotel! The staff were totally disinterested in my complaints and refused a refund but it was so bad that we left the hotel and stayed in the Tulip at great expense rather than spend any more time in the Damrak. This is like a 1star hotel at 3star prices.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beseeingyou
Reviewed 9 March 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights on a short break. We were pleasantly surprised after reading some of the reviews. I would say this hotel is more of a 2* than a 3*. However our room was clean and the bedding was too. The room was freezing but once you put the heater on provided it was fine. If you want a shower be the first to use it. If you 're second expect to freeze. We stayed in a triple room which we found adequate for the two of us. One let down was the morning receptionist. She barely spoke. Only one word answers if you were lucky, really miserable. Breakfast was boiled eggs in a dish to help yourself. A couple of trays of meat and cheese. Two toasters to make your own toast. Orange juice, tea and coffee. We were more than happy with this, if we wanted cooked breakfast we'd go to a cafe. One morning though we came down for breakfast at 09:00 and there was no ham, no cheese, no tea, and no bread. They said they'd run out of bread and someone had gone to get some. No sign of anyone after 15 minutes so we went for a cooked breakfast.
The restaurant was n't bad, food was very nice. They need to invest in some new crockery though the plate they served my dinner on looked liked the end had been chewed off by that man from the James Bond films with the metal teeth. No exageration!. I would n't dream of commenting on a plate with a crack or a chip. I thought it was hilarious!.
You could n't fault the location of the hotel. Our room was clean and I felt safe staying there. We paid £31.60 per person per night including breakfast (they do provide it most mornings). Not a bad deal and the lift did n't break down once. Hooray!.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2008

After reading a lot of the one star reviews on here, I was a little nervous...but my expectations were definitely exceeded. Yes, it's grim and dark and old, but that's part of the experience. You don't go to Amsterdam to stay at a Marriott. If you don't want any surprises, then yeah, go for your chain hotel and be pleasantly bored. The Damrak is definitely anything but boring...

I would say the best thing about the hotel is the Argentinian restaurant downstairs, where guests receive 10% off of their meals. Also, the wireless was faultless. I'm a student and rely on the internet to stay up to date with my classes via Blackboard, so internet is always a big deal for me. I never had a problem. Finally, the location...you really can't beat it. You're smack in the center of the city, less than a five minute walk from the Central Station, and you can just step outside and have your choice of dozens of cuisines and things to do. Definitely a touristy area, but convenient.

Now onto the "grim" - there are no smoking signs in the rooms, and I requested a no smoking room...but what they don't tell you is that smoking IS allowed in the hallways. So everyone on my floor stepped out at all hours of the night to smoke, and that stench seeps into your own room. I woke up sick one morning. Really not healthy. Also, my sheets looked clean and new, but the comforter had an odd smell to it. I did without. The rooms are old and the carpets and decor are definitely from the 70s, but that kind of adds to its charm. Parts of the carpet are warn down and gritty, but I wasn't going to let that ruin my trip. I wore flip flops. The bathroom was definitely clean and the water pressure was really good.

My other complaint was not really the hotel's fault, but the guests are SUPER noisy. The walls are thin (old building), and it felt like the adult guests here were more ridiculous than any of the guests I encountered at various youth hostels. They were coming in at all hours of the night, pounding on everyones doors for fun, screaming in the halls, etc. For about three hours on Sunday night I had to listen to a sports game blasting and the groans and cheers of the men watching. There's only so many times a staff member can tell people to quiet down, so it's not their fault.

Another thing I thought was weird was that you had to leave your key whenever you left the building. You left it with the front desk clerk and picked it up when you came back. To me, it wasn't really an inconvenience, except for when one clerk was more interested in the internet than helping guests. But another clerk knew who I was and what room I had, so when she saw me coming she had my key ready and waiting, which was very nice. But then when I was thinking about it, I realized that it means the hotel staff knows exactly who is in their rooms and who isn't at all times, which didn't really feel secure to me...

When it boils down to it, if you want convenience and a low cost and aren't afraid of a little grit, the Damrak will exceed your needs. But if you're the type to complain about every little dent in the desk or chipped paint on the wall, go to a chain so you feel like you're back in the US.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)