“don't stay here if you value your sense of smell”
Review of Hotel Damrak

Hotel Damrak
Ranked #291 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 22 September 2009

We stayed in a room for 8 (room 21) and the smell of urine from the bathroom was unbearable. Good location which came in handy considering we couldn't bear to be in the room for longer than 10 minutes without wanting to heave! Pricey too considering its a dump.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 August 2009

Subject: Amsterdam
Location: Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, The Netherlands, Europe
Title: Never, ever, again!
ID#: 38056587

I actually read reviews for this hotel on TripAdvisor before I stayed at this hotel with my teen son that a travel agent booked for us. The agent assured me that reviews online should always be taken with a grain of salt. At that point, I should have relied on my gut and TripAdvisor.

This place is a tourist trap, and they prey on those who don't know any better. The front desk was a table in the back of an Argentine restaurant, and you have to lug your luggage through tables and chairs.

The room had no sheets on the bed, no outlets in the room or bath, mold, broken furniture, and worn carpeting. I asked for a new room after telling the front desk I was in Amsterdam with my teen son and not for sex or drugs. It seemed it was assumed those were the only things one would need a room here for. Power in the room wouldn't work if I took my room key, so my son couldn't watch TV or read if I went to get a cup of coffee.

I asked for a new room, and the second one was only slightly better because it didn't have any carpet at all. I felt so guilty bringing my son here, we left after two nights and I spoke with the manager about getting my money back for the next two nights. I filled in a ton of forms for the owner who was not on site, and the manager said his hands were tied. After I realized I was probably going to get charged for all four nights, I did let them know I would write an honest review here, but if I got the refund, I wouldn't be so brutally honest. I walked down the road to the classier Swiss Hotel and got a rate that was LESS than at the dumpy hotel. I was also greeted by uniformed guest service reps in an air-conditioned lobby. It was an awful way to start our vacation, and it's a terrible example of Dutch hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2009

Avoid this hotel! Almost everything was broken in the room, stuff (who knows what on the wall), and a twin room with only one pillow!

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2009

The service we had at this hotel was shockingly bed, the man on the reception desk was incredibly rude when we were trying to sort out a booking problem and insisted on continually pointing in my face. The triple room was small and was in a very poor state of repair.

This hotel is in a very good location but this in no way makes up for the terrible customer service (it was so bad my friends and I prefered to pay for breakfast nest door rather than have the breakfast included in the room rate) or poor room. There was no airconditioning which meant we were left with the choice of being boiling hot or leaving the window open and allowing the midgies in to bite us during the night.

I have emailed the owner to complain about the service I received and haev had no response after 3 weeks. To make matters even worse (as if it was possible) I posted feedback on the website I booked this hotel trhough (easytobook.com) but my comments have not beed posted and the marks awarded start at 5 so when you think you are awarding the lowest possible score you are actually awarding 5 out of ten, misleading to say the least.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2009

Location is central, but everything about this hotel was awful. The room was dirty, bedding was dingy and smelled uwashed, comforters had cigarette burn marks and you're provided w/ stained towels that had once been white. We were afraid we'd leave carrying bedbugs and a rush. Forget room service, internet, alarm clock or even phone, and the A/C made plenty of noise but failed to cool our room. Also, be careful w/ your valuables, as we left carrying less items then we came with.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank NBJ_9
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Location is excellent - a few mins from the central station. And the restaurant is good, had steak, very tasty. This hotel suits mosty a group of friends - I went for a friends birthday with a gang of girls. We had a number of rooms, with 3 beds in ours, however we did have an extra guest on the last night. When we complained about the mouse, we were told by the fella on reception that Amsterdam is an old city and we should expect it. We did only pay £92 for return flight to Liverpool and 2 nights bed and brekkie.

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank DawnieDo
Reviewed 26 May 2009

stayed for a few days only and were initially shown a relatively clean room which we stayed in for the night. We were then moved to another room which was revolting. A big fake wooden head board thing housed thousands of bugs that wait for you to go to bed before feasting on your blood. Heavily blood stained mattress and sheet, and dirty fresh blood stains on towels. Complained but the manager had mysteriously vanished and was not due back for some days. All staff very reluctant to visit our room. We caught in excess of 50 bedbugs in a plastic bag as the reception staff adamantly denied that there were bedbugs in the room.
It was not until we began to show other guests our little biting roomates and they began to leave that we were offered any money back, by this time it was 4 am and we had been sitting downstairs, with no where to go all night All we got was a refund for that night spent arguing and catching bedbugs for evidence, and with no where to go.... No offer of a good will gesture or even an apology, ...Shame on you Damn Damrak

• Stayed: May 2007