“NOT FIT FOR THE DOGG!”

Delta Hotel Amsterdam City Centre
Ranked #335 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
“NOT FIT FOR THE DOGG!”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Probably the worst hotel I've stayed at in the Netherlands. The location was the reason I booked this hotel, & I thought it was a 3 star, more like 3 out of 10. My room & bathroom was really small & clearly hadn't been cleaned very well. Just wish I'd read other reviews before booking. Wouldn't even book the Dogg here!!!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Ajax95

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We recently visited amsterdam for 4 days and wanted a cheap, close to the hub place to stay with a good breakfast. We stayed here previously and were satisfied so we booked again.
I understand the negative comments on here from families, but you got to realize, u get what you pay for.
The hotel is smack on the main tourist road, has easy access to central station, has its own bathroom, clean sheets and heating. The breackfast was poorer than last time but all in all it was a great stay. The staff are also real helpful with whatever you need.

1 Thank simone_sdc
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the location (and their cat if you are a cat lover). Where is it? Its literally about a 3 min walk down the Dam from Amsterdam Centraal train station. Being on the Dam also makes it very central to getting around Amsterdam with tram stops in all directions within 5 mins walk.

The staff: I found the 2 of the 3 staff members amazing, helpful and pleasant. Sadly the 3rd staff member I dealt with was always rude and upset that I was interrupting her constant chatting with a friend with my room issues. I think she wouldnt have bothered to be half as helpful/do her job had I have not been so persistent...

The room: it was a single, clean and nice enough. It didnt have a window or any form of air circulation, I did ask for a fan and eventually got one that worked and that literally made all the difference in my stay! I returned the fan at the end of my stay but really the room could have done with a fan permanently in the room! I had a nice telly that a varity of all channels, english, dutch, german, french... The bathroom was quaint and did the job. I believe that 2 of my sockets didnt work but the others did, so it wasnt the end of the world. The bed was really quite comfy, which is always a bonus!

The wifi: what wifi is probably a better question! I tried well over 5 times to log on and had no luck finding the actual connection let alone logging on! I was told it only worked in the 'common area' but couldnt even get it there... Luckily there are enough places you can get it free in Amsterdam that it didnt make that much of a difference but I suppose if I had had a quiet evening in and wanted to catch up with others it would have been a different story...

Breakfast: yeah, its a very basic continental brekky, 2 cerals, bread with spreads, 2 types of cold meats, cheese, yougurt.... I think if I had stayed there more than 4 nights I would have started looking else where but its enough to get you going in the morning.

The hotel does have basic rules, such as no food in your rooms, which isnt a problem as they have a large enough common area for you to eat in with tables provided and quite frankly without the ventilation in my room, I wouldnt have wanted anything with a smell in it either! Also they request that you leave your key with reception when you come and go, which is quite common within Europe and I think a great idea, one less thing to lose/worry about when youre out and about sight seeing! They also offer a luggage room for you to store your luggage on your last day if you have a late flight(please note this is not a facility to new guests who are awaiting check-in). They also have a smallish elevator to save you lugging your luggage up the stairs, which is always a win!

The cat, I am a crazy cat lady, so for me the ultimate highlight was the cat!!! Its very friendly and will quite happily be loved on all day long should you find you have run out of sights to see. I ended up leaving it a comb and treats!

Overall I had a good stay, despite the 1 rude member of staff it was fine. Youre not paying for 5 star facilites, so you cant expect them and then be disappointed when you dont get them.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Recently stayed at the Delta. No hot water throughout the stay. Repeatedly complained. Was told various stories ranging from, 'we'll turn it on' to 'the boiler's broken'. Also complained post-stay but after four attempts to get an explanation have given up. It's clear the management don't care about customer service and seem to be on a cost-saving exercise. Not what you'd expect from a so-called 3* hotel. My advice is go elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank MartinC405

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The worst place my family and I have ever stayed at. it is filthy beyond description. Horrible shower, stained carpet and horrible breakfast. Do not stay there at any cost.........................................................................

Room Tip: Disgausting, horrible and filthy