Here's the deal, when something bad happens on your vacation, it taints your trip. It's just human nature. That being said, this Ibis hotel was what it should be: clean, cookie-cutter, sterile and characterless. We stayed there for my parents who can't handle the steep Amsterdam stairs and needed a lift. Otherwise, these hotels are too characterless for us. So, for what you expect, you get.
Now, to the theft. While my wife and mother were standing inside by the entrance to the lobby a man came in and distracted them and took our backpack. A chambermaid saw the whole thing, including the man RUNNING from the hotel, and said nothing. She only said something when we asked around loudly if anyone saw our bag. She said she saw someone run and went after them, a lie. A lie because she also said she didn't say anything to anyone because wasn't sure if it was theft. She pointed me to where the people ran. Suffice it to say, the bag is gone.
She never told any other staff. We went to the staff and said something happened. They pointed my distraught wife to the police. They did not call the police or walk with her there. It was only at the end of the block, but she was very upset. The manager did talk with us, but offered pathetic, fake sympathy. She even disclosed that this "hasn't happened for a long time." They have cameras in the lobby, but they only face the front desk, not the door. Pathetic.
The police did arrive and were noticeably upset and disappointed with the manager and staff for doing nothing to assist us. So, if you think you are getting a sterile, safe place to stay, you are wrong. We have stayed in Amsterdam before and felt safer in the cheaper hotels. This cookie-cutter hotel has cut costs on security and has not customer service to speak of. Do not stay here. If you need to do business, and need cookie cutter, find another standard hotel. If you are a normal tourist, find a place with more dirt on the walls, you will enjoy it more.
Oh, and one more thing. The front desk said that the cheapest nearby parking was 30E per day. Lies. Park at a Park-Ride for 6E day and get up to 5 tram tickets (there and back) included. I am sure the hotel gets a cut form the parking place nearby.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ibis Amsterdam City Stopera hotel is ideally located in the city centre, a few minutes from the Stopera Opera House, Dam Square, Rembrandtplein and Waterlooplein. Easily accessible by public transport or by car. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , ACCOR, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ibis Amsterdam City Stopera Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor Amsterdam City Stopera