“Good place for a business trip if the meeting is in the area.”

Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera
Ranked #109 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Clean rooms; reasonable size for the rate. My room looked out onto a canal that had swans swimming by every morning. Very nice!
The front desk staff was somewhat uneven in competency--but basically, was good.
The breakfast (included in our rate) was amazing! Wide variety of selections.
The wi-fi was erratic (was down one entire day) and not included in the room rate.
I would stay here again if I had business in the area. For a vacation, I would stay somewhere closer to the center and with more atmosphere.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 October 2010

The hotel is near the center, no need public transportation to many places of interest. The room and bathrrom are big enough, both clean, there's a great plasma tv, and we sleeped very well because it was quiet.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2010

My husband and I spent our four-night-stay in Amsterdam in Ibis Amsterdam Stopera. Some friends had suggested Ibis to me since I was looking for a clean and bargain hotel. After several weeks search I realized that I couldn't find a three star with the services Ibis offers and the same price. I reserved a double room. A few days later I found I had skipped the special offer option which cuts down on prices to a great degree, and includes breakfast as well, but it was too late. When I got to the hotel I realized I had made the right choice: The hotel building was new and modern, the rooms perfectly clean, the receptionists very-well trained and helpful, and most of all, the location was great; close to Amsterdam main attractions while having a quiet and peaceful neighborhood.
There are only two negative points about the hotel: One is the small size of the rooms;even so, they're designed in the most functional way. The second, I believe, is that the small size of rooms can be tolerated only if you stay in the rooms with the beautiful canal view. My first room had the view of the back of some buildings which intensified the sense of suffocation I had because of the small space, but fortunately I could change it to a room with canal view the second day and that really made a difference.

1  Thank Athena1974
Reviewed 5 October 2010

After arriving at the airport, which is huge, we caught the train into Amsterdam Central Station which cost 3.70 euro and took around 20 minutes, the ticket machines were very easy to use, and helpful that you can select a language. (Note the machines we saw were either card only or card and coins - i didnt notice any machines that took notes) a ticket office is available if the machines seem a little daunting! On arriving at Central Station, the hotel is an approximate 15 minute walk away, and is very easy to locate. The location of the hotel itself is on a fairly busy road, and is in the old Jewish quarter about 100m away from Waterlooplein, and the flea market. There is a Metro station around the corner, but we never used it as we walked everywhere in the city, a supermarket is also located nearby which was useful as there are no tea/coffee facilities in the room. All attractions are pretty much nearby aswell, with a 10-15 minute walk taking you to most attractions including Dam square, red light district etc etc.
We arrived at the hotel just before 10am, there were not any rooms ready but the lady on reception kindly told us one would be available at 12 noon and offered to look after our bags in a secure room/locker. The room itself was on the third floor, and was a good size, modern, with an lcd tv on the wall. The bathroom, again, was a good size, with a large shower and hair dryer attached to the wall, both rooms were very clean and to be honest, spotless. Our towels were changed daily, and the bed made everyday.
We stayed for 3 nights and had breakfast each morning which was great, it was a buffet style, which had everything from coffee and juice, to fruit, to hot food, pasteries, bread, yoghurt etc etc... all was very nice, and was replenished often, great for filling up before a day exploring! The breakfast room doubles as the restaurant later on in the day, we never actually ate there later on, so i cant comment on the food in the evening.
During our stay we experienced no problems whatsoever , all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful, they all acknowledged us as we passed.
I would definately recommend this hotel for a visit to Amsterdam.
One final tip would be to book your tickets for Anne Frank House onine, you just print your tickets out at home, (take them with you of course) and you can just walk right past the extremely long queue, that snakes round the corner and walk through a door on the left and straight in! It cost an extra 50 cent, but meant not having to queue for 2hours!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CraigandKeely
Reviewed 3 October 2010

2nights in August 2010

Amsterdam is an expensive city. This hotel was prebooked months in advance and it was around 90Euro a night.
Location – good 15min walk from Central train station along the river. 5-10min walk to the central square and shopping region. Metro/tram stops nearby, but everything is accessible by a short 10-15min walk. Huge shower cubicle. Breakfast not included, supermarket within 5 minutes, restaurants 5-10mins to have a meal.
No minibar or tea/coffee facilities.
Our room was next to the elevator - but surprisingly quiet and no problems.

A good hotel for touristy Amsterdam. A little further to walk but does the job.

1  Thank prozerran
Reviewed 2 October 2010

We stayed at Ibis Stopera for 2 nights, arriving straight from Melbourne. We took the train from the airport (about 15-20mins) which costs 3.70 Euro, and then walked to Ibis, which took about 15mins. Very easy. Check in went well, we were able to check in at 12pm. Our room was modern, clean, had a window what opened with view over canal (this is where the canal cruises travel through). It was a good location as it is quiet and away from the seedy central part. There is also a bike hire place a few doors down, and for about 7 euros you can cycle around for the day, which is a great way to see the sights efficiently. We rode all through the canals, red light area, Dam square, Vondel park, Anne Frank House + a cafe lunch stop over, all in 2 hrs.

The breakfast is good, it is a buffet style with cereal (rice bubbles, muesli & cornflakes), yoghurt, baguettes, cold meats, cheese (brie, gouda etc), fruit salad, croissants, and toast. Tea, coffee, & juice. I think it is excellent value for money and will definitely stay here again and I am recommending it to my work colleagues. I paid a lot more to stay at NH Barbizon Palace the following weekend, which I was very disappointed with (see my review on this).

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Friends booked this as part of a car ferry trip from Newcastle, England. One night at the Ibis and a canal cruise were part of the package. We were much happier with the hotel than the canal cruise. I don't know what we paid for the room since it was part of the package but it was clean and comfortable and not badly located.