“Absolute joke”

Ranked #292 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“Absolute joke”
Reviewed 15 May 2013

On arrival was told there were no rooms available due to over booking. Reception advised they didn't have no rooms only at sister hotel which I didn't book and didn't want. I was specifically told that I would not be charged as they didn't have my room that I had booked. Went and found a hotel, get home And hotel cordial have charged me anyway.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank TommyD11111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at Hotel Cordial. After booking I was a bit worried after reading some poor reviews, but was pleasantly surprised. Our room, although basic, was very clean and comfortable - we had all we needed, except a few minor things, such as coffee and milk, especially as the hot drinks machine in the main reception was out of order. We could also have done with a shelf in the bathroom for toiletries. Our twin room also had a folding single sofa bed, so the room would accommodate three, if necessary. It was at the rear of the building with absolutely no view, but at least we didn't get the traffic noise, although there was a loud humming noise, which we assumed was from the A/C unit, even though ours was switched off. We had the continental breakfast on two mornings and found it to be very good, with fresh bread and rolls, lovely croissants, cheese and cold meats, cereals, fresh fruit etc. How a previous reviewer described it as "dire" I do not know! We found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. All in all, a perfect spot from which to explore the vibrant city of Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Choose a room at rear of building for a quieter night's sleep. If you are a couple, choose a ro...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BirderRicky
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I stayed here for a long weekend in april 2013 and after reading reviews and seeing pictures here on Trip Advisor I was expecting a pretty grubby, basic room. Our room was infact beautiful, very clean and modern (although it was quite small) and the shower was amazing, I think it has recently been refurbished. Maids came daily to tidy room and give fresh towels etc. 5 minute walk from Amsterdam central station and close to everything you need. Will definitely be booking this hotel when I return to amsterdam,

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LC18_94
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We booked the cordial as it offered bed and breakfast and a private bathroom which the other cheaper hotels we looked at didn't offer. Bathroom is small and over toilet but shower is lovely and hot, excellent pressure too! Very good central location, reason we picked it! Breakfast was the same but enjoyable, eggs, meat, jam etc. Nice staff, helpful if asked. Overall we loved it, only problem was very soft mattress! Kept rolling out! Definitely not a 5 star (untidy paint work, bits here and there) but you get what you pay for and the location really makes up for it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gizzy4charlie
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2013

This is possibly the worse hotel I have ever stayed in. No one bothered to tell us about the roadworks going on all day and the motor bikes at night. The bathroom was an accident waiting to happen - with the shower over the toilet - so you are standing on a very slippery surface. You can fall - I did - which is fine except as I fell my arm knocked the hot water tap - turning it higher so of course I got scalded. No tea and coffee in the room which is very old and manky - the curtains don't fit the windows at all. The breakfasts were dire - we could not eat the food. BUT THE STAFF were again fantastic but sadly they could not make up for the 2 nights of hell we endured.

Room Tip: You cannot choose a good room - there are none! Book elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Reviewed 29 October 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel at beginning of October. The hotel has a great location but that is the only good point. On turning up at the hotel the guy at reception was more interested in his Facebook use rather than serving me. He was not very helpful or friendly. I stayed in room 108 which was just horrible. The decor was from the 70's and very dirty. It was a twin room with two single beds pushed together. The beds were very old and you just sunk down into them. The bathroom was also very dirty and kept flooding when having a shower. The shower kept falling off the wall, in fact everything was falling off the walls. I don't think I have been in a worse hotel. Sleeping on the streets would have been cleaner and more comfortable.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends