“great location and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Albus

The Albus
Ranked #64 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Perth
“great location and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We really enjoyed our stay. Location is perfect for exploring the city, and easy to get to from central station. Staff was very professional and helpful! Only thing we missed was a fridge in the room.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lindapannekoek
Taco v, Eigenaar at The Albus, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Hello valuable guest,

Thank you for your nice review!

We are keen to be green try to minimize the waste of energy. Therefore we do not provide fridges or minibars in the rooms. However, we do offer roomservice without any delivery charge so you can still enjoy some cool drinks in your room. We are also happy to bring up an ice bucket to your room to chill your beverages at any time.

We hope to welcome you again soon for another consious stay in the Albus!

Deputy Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Cute boutique hotel right in the center of the city. Very friendly staff. In regards to the lack of a.c. it was no problem because of the high-powered fan. We stayed in August (probably the hottest time of the year) and felt no discomfort because of the lack of a.c. Would definitely stay here again during another visit to Amsterdam!

Room Tip: We emailed in advance asking for the best possible view and got a great view of the city!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Taco v, Eigenaar at The Albus, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Hello precious guest,

Thank you very much for your wondeful compliments!

I am glad to read that you have enjoyed a comfortable stay and that the soundless fan helped to cool your room during the warm summer days.

We will be honoured to welcome you again in the Albus soon!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Arrived to check in and the rooms were not ready for another 3-4 hours.....almost 5:30pm. Understaffed as even the next day,..folks were waiting for rooms. When we received rooms, we were in the basement for both (had only booked one of those rooms for our daughters) and so we were comped breakfast for the difference in price between the sub-terranean rooms and deluxe we had originally booked,..but I had to ask for that,..they did not inform me of the error. When we took a shower, the shower leaked and the bathroom floor was flooded. This would possibly explain the musty, wet odor we encountered when we first entered the room. In fact, the entire hotel smells oddly musty when you enter. No air conditioning so they provide fans which does not really do the trick, especially if underground. Breakfast is good but not worth $25.00 US per person. We placed our passports in the safe and it somehow locked up and a technician had to come and literally dismantle it. Perhaps it is the underground rooms with all the issues as we did not get to see the room we actually booked. Staff was friendly and tried to address the issues as best they could but it simply seems that senior management might need to get a handle on things as it is clearly understaffed and folks seem a bit overwhelmed trying to handle all that is clearly not running smoothly. There were many, many irate guests. We simply dealt as I felt somewhat sorry for the staff but did have to kindly inform of the issues as it was simply not worth the money spent. It is unfortunate as the location is excellent but the value for what you pay for is not. I would expect more for 300 euros a nite for two underground rooms as we travelled in B&Bs for half that amount per nite and had triple the service and accommodations. All were booked however as August is clearly a busy month.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Elaine A
Taco v, Eigenaar at The Albus, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hello precious guest,

I am sorry to read that you stay wasn't flawless! I thank you for aharing all your comments and I will seriously think about your experiences and the role I have as a manager to improve certain processes.

Regarding your room, I understood from the receptionist who checked you in, that she did offer you a room move to the correct roomtype, but that you preferred to have complimentary breakfast instead. She also asked you about your stay on several occacions and she did not receive any complaints or feedback from you. I am sorry that we could not do something about your feelings while you were here and you that you have now left with mixed feelings about the Albus

I do hope that you are willing to give the Albus a second chance. Just contact me directly on lisa@albushotel.com when you have any plans to travel to Amsterdam again so we can make your next stay as blissful as possible!

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I made the booking a couple of days before I travelled. After a very busy day, I arrived at the hotel around 11pm (I had told them that I was arriving late), only to be told by the (very pleasant) gent at the desk that there had been "a problem with the booking system", and that I would need to stay at anther hotel - further out of town.

I told them that this was unacceptable. I hadn't booked another hotel - I booked The Albus. If I wanted to stay at another hotel, then I would have booked another hotel!

I have been at this hotel before and one of the people I travelled with had to stay in another hotel because of overbooking! Surely this happening twice could not just be a coincidence! I know that *some* hotels overbook, hoping that some guests don't show up. The hotel reception staff seemed to know what they were doing (offering free breakfast, another hotel, room upgrade, etc.), so I suspect that this is something that they are used to!

ONLY BOOK THIS HOTEL IF YOU DON'T MIND A "MYSTERY HOTEL"!

There was a (printed) note from the hotel manager and a small bottle of Prosecco in the room when I finally got in there on the second night. This makes me suspect that this is a standard occurrence.

The complimentary breakfast was ok. the beans looked like they may have been their some time and the chef was quite rude after my fiancee didn't replace the bacon tweezers properly (imagine!). The rest of the staff we very polite.

Our upgraded room had a very big bed, but other than that, was quite small, had no mini-bar, no bath (just a shower) and NO AIR CONDITIONING!

With temperatures outside at 20 DEG C (ish) the room was very warm. There was a fan, but the windows didn't open very far. It was too warm at night to have the fan off, and too noisy with it on. Welcome to 3 hours of sleep!

The reception was air conditioned. Still, as long as the staff are cool, eh!

I had raved about this hotel to my fiancee. I looked like a fool! I will not be staying here (or anywhere else they decide to put me) again.

Room Tip: Make sure you stress when you book that ANOTHER HOTEL IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HonestTraveller1024
Taco v, Eigenaar at The Albus, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Hello precious guest,

I am sorry to read about your experiences and that we could not accomodate you on your first night! I appreciate your choice for the Albus and I completely understand your frustrations.

We absolutely try out utmost to avoid overbooking at all times, but unfortunately it does occur once in a while due to system errors or even maintenance related causes.

I understand your comment about the staff who seemed to know what they were doing. In fact our staff is well trained to handle each situation in a professional way including unfortunate cases like yours. They have tried to make up for the inconvenience as much as possible while you were here.

I really regret it that we might have lost you as a returning guest and I will personally e-mail you to see what we can do to make you feel better about the Albus.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Upon check-in we were told to have a seat on the sofa and they came to us with the check-in papers and complimentary tea and coffee. This was very relaxing and different than the regular stand at the desk check-in.

There's a Nespresso coffee machine in the room with complimentary pads. The TV welcomes you with your name and the room was clean. The location of the hotel is also good.

The only con I can think of is the size of the room. It was on the small side but still fine for us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello valuable guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review!

We offer different room types, from the Smart City Room (the smallest) to our Stunning City Suites (most spacious). All rooms come with the same facilities such as free Nespresso and mineral water and an extended inroom enternainment system.

I am glad that you have enjoyed your room despite of the size and I hope that you will choose to stay in the Albus again upon your next stay in Amsterdam!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I have stayed here on two separate occasions and the location, staff and rooms can't be beaten! Will definitely stay here every time I go to Amsterdam. If possible ask for a room on the top floor on the street side - the views are great!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello valuable guest,

Thank you so much for your positive review!

It is great to read you compliments on our staff and the rooms, I will definitely share them with eveyone here.

We hope to welcome you back soon, just make sure you mention your preferred room with your booking so we can hold it for you for another blissful stay!

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Yes, I am shouting DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL! ESPECIALLY IN THE SUMMER! This hotel has one heck of a nerve to subject patrons to the temperatures reached in guest rooms. No air conditioning, street too noisey to open window. In some rooms, windows were locked to open only a few inches (suicide prevention, we were told). However, stairwell seemed quite cool. Fan provided in room offered only slight comfort. Opening windows subject guests to constant street noise, including a regularly running tram. Earplugs were provided by hotel, but that adds another level of discomfort.

Robes in both our room and my in-laws' room were filthy, even though they were hung up to appear freshly laundered. No face cloths provided with towel set-up, which may explain my dirty robe, as it appeared someone removed a very thick make-up foundation with it. Beds appeared very clean, but then again, so did the robes. However, the bed was very comfy with 4 large fluffy pillows.

Staff is nice enough until you provide them with a problem. We complained at desk about above, and they did provide us with clean robes, however, had no solution to heat problem until WE suggested they find an additional fan for the rafter room my in-laws were staying in and could they please unlock that window, assuredly, none of us would be jumping out of it.

When we returned home, they did write us a letter, apologizing for the inconveniences and that if and when we return to the Albus, we would be given an upgrade and free breakfast. Why, however, did they not suggest this to us while we were there? I guess because they knew that we would never be returning so it was cheaper to make a promise after the fact.

Hotel seems like it is scrimping, sorry to say, because it is a spit away from the flower market and the main shopping street.

How people can be giving this place such high marks, especially in the summertime, beats me!

Room Tip: Don't book it.,
Green Features: ??? Oh yeah, towel re-use. But so do most hotels these days.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank milo1_12
Dear valuable guest,

Thank you for your honest feedback.

I am very sorry to read that you did not at all enjoy your stay at the Albus, as I also mentioned in my apoligy letter. I sincerely regret the fact that your complaints were not recognized and handled to your satisfaction while you were here and I understand your frustration.

I also understand that your experience is not very inviting for a second visit, however I would like to ask you to consider the Albus for another stay. I will personally try my utmost to guarantee you a very different and positive experience. Just contact me directly if you are willing to give us a second chance.