“Affordable and Convenient”

Ranked #199 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Affordable and Convenient”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

On a very last minute trip to Amsterdam, we were after somewhere that's good for the budget and comfortable; Hotel Damrak fit the bill.

The good: hot private shower, free wifi, reasonably tidy twin room, baggage holding space for the few hours after you check out and nice staff (especially the man we first spoke to, I forget his name but he wore glasses... quite friendly and helpful. I also noticed him giving a couple some sound advice on other places to visit in the Netherlands). Moreover, one of the hotel staff cheerfully helped me carry some luggage upstairs! It was a heavy bag but he was nothing but kind about the whole ordeal even when I realised I didn't have some euros ready for a tip.

The bad: I'm not sure that this should be a minus because this is a budget hotel but facilities are kept to a bare minimum, no tea/ coffee making and there is no lounge space. Another unfortunate point, if I were to nitpick, is the 3 euro per 15 min charge to use the main PC (they insisted even in an emergency, this is where I fault the service slightly) so bad luck if your smartphone runs out of charge, you have no java or wifi isn't working properly. However, we only discovered this due to unforeseen circumstances so it shouldn't be an issue for most people. Finally, this place does have some steep stairs so consider if you happen to be on the third floor onwards...we are young and active so this didn't bother us so much but may be inconvenient for some.

A funny thing to note is that they include a 'sweet breakfast' which we only noticed on the receipt while travelling back. Supposedly this is some kind of chocolate bar, anyway, it made us giggle!

Essentially: For the price and what's on offer, I would stay here again and so would my friend but I recommend a stay if you are not too fussy (I'm a little fussy about cleanliness so would ask for improvements but it was OK. My biggest issues were the drawers, I couldn't put my things in as I could tell they had not been wiped. Such a shame as everything else was fine). Honestly, it's a great place if you're only in Amsterdam for a few days and with a friend(s), this is not the place for romance. I say don't go expecting anything close to a 4 or even 3 star hotel and you'll be happy! 2 stars; it was functional, warm and the staff were friendly/ professional.

Room Tip: Maybe it's strange but we liked our 3rd floor rooms, thought of it as free exercise and the view...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I have stayed here twice now, and have no complaints whatsoever.
The hotel is split into two buildings (almost next door to each other - smoking and non smoking). I have only stayed in the smoking part, so can only comment on that really.

The rooms are fairly compact, but when staying in a city like Amsterdam, you need the room for sleep and shower, and the rooms fit this purpose perfectly.
Beds are comfortable, rooms are clean and have a modern feel to them.
If you stay at the front of the hotel, do expect some street noise - you are RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of Amsterdam!!

Staff are friendly and helpful, plenty of leaflets/guides etc in reception.

Location is perfect. 30secs to Dam Square, 2mins to Red Light District, 5min from Kalverstraat shopping Street, 10min from Centraal station, 10min Rembrandt Square

There are loads of restaurants right outside the hotel, from chip/hot dog stands, kebab shop, chinese, pizza, bakery and a few standard Amsterdam 'Argentinian restaurants'.
McDonalds and KFC are just across Dam Square, as is a small Albert Heijn Supermarket (There is a larger one behind the Palace)

ATM (ING Bank) 20secs from reception, just on the corner of the 5Euro store.
Currency exchange across the road
Luggage storage at the hotel

And of course, lots of coffeeshops nearby - just around the corner from Greenhouse and a few minutes walk to the Warmoestraat, where there are LOADS of coffeeshops - Be sure to stop by Hunter's!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front will have some street noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kelle_TravelAgent_UK
dublin
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I booked a single room for a 1 night stay .Here is the only things that were good .This hotel is very central to Dam sq and Central station which is ideal for getting around .Staff was very friendly .Bad side ,Room was tiny .A bed with a tv on the wall and a shower room .I understand I paid for a single room but I think this was a closet turned into a bedroom .There was dust in the sink ,shower floor was dirty and carpet was dirty .In my opinion this room was not used in a long while and no one bothered to check if it was clean.Also there was a locked door in the room at the end of the bed which I found out at 12.30 that night that this was for next doors room when they tried to open the door .They began talking and I may as well have been in the room with them .At 8.30am the next morn I had the hoover in the next room going and a guy chatting outside my door while he messed around with a ladder and maintenance .I would have complained about the dirt of the room but felt as I was only using as a bed for the night I wouldnt bother but Im sorry now I didnt .I had a really bad experience and will not stay there again.I didnt know Amsterdam which was why I chose this hotel but will make sure not to book here ever again

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Gerstekorrel_De, Manager at Hotel De Gerstekorrel, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear "Shardylan",

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear the bathroom didn't meet the standards that we are used to have. About this I have passed the message to the housekeeping.
We have this year changed the carpet on the hallways and very soon the same will be done in the rooms as well. We will anyhow have a look at this single room if the carpet should be changed there immediately.
I hope you would still choose us for your next visit in Amsterdam, please contact us directly if you do!
With best regards, Ramona Korhonen-Breukel

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Great location, as hotel was placed in very central location which was very accessible for all of the main sights. The hotel wassatisfactory. Rooms could have been cleaner as carpet was quite dirty, walls are very fine between rooms and the people in the next room were vomiting and very noisy.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2013

November 2012
5th time in Amsterdam. Party of 3.
Clean tidy room. Helpful friendly staff.
By far the best value for money hotel i've stayed in in Amsterdam.
Highly recommended.
Seconds away from Dam Square. Close to RLD & Rembrandt Square too.

Room Tip: Be specific before you arrive!!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Freeport, New York
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Room was very small with double bed, no space for bags. My flight arrived early and requested early check in. Staff made it happen but had to wait outside since they do not have a lobby. All shops and resturants were closed since it was 6am. Had to walk out in cold and make up time to check in at 11am. Location was perfect, not happy about walking up two floors with bags. Room looks nothing like picture, its actually old, bed was old.

Room Tip: always check if lobby and lift is available in hotel before booking
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Denise B
Amsterdam
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Nothing bad to say everything was good/great very central, ccomfortable beds, helpful reception staff, quiet inside concidering it's busy location, only about 10mins walk from central station, hot shower

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends