“"Budget" hotel in a central location--great staff but wouldn't stay here again”

Hotel De Gerstekorrel
Ranked #201 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Amsterdam is one of the most expensive European cities for lodging. From my own research, I had wanted to stay within the "Canal Ring," where it seemed as though most of the action/landmarks/museums were happening. This was the cheapest hotel that I could find that had a few favorable and not horrible reviews on TripAdvisor (although it was still $165/night).

The pros of this hotel:
-Very central location. Arriving and departing from the train station (Amsterdam Centraal), it was a 10-minute walk, which was very convenient.
-Five-minute walk to the Red Light District, shopping district and a variety of restaurants
-Very friendly and knowledgeable front desk staff who helped us navigate our way through the City
-Free WiFi

The cons of this hotel:
-As with many European hotels, the room fit two single beds, and there wasn't much room for maneuvering
-Tiny bathroom with a shower with a one inch ledge, so it frequently flooded the entire floor
-The room was very warm and musty
-I had a shirt stolen when the housekeepers cleaned my room. I am positive of this as I had just purchased the shirt and left it out, and when my room was cleaned, the shirt went missing. I reported this to the front desk, who assured me that the "housekeepers were trustworthy." I mentioned that maybe it had gotten mixed up with the towels or sheets, but my inquiry seemed to fall on deaf ears. This was very distressing to me, and changed my opinion of this hotel from an average/good experience, to a lesser one.

Overall, if I had to do it again (I am a 28-year-old female, who was traveling with my younger sister), I would have trusted my original instinct to stay outside of the Canal Ring, in the Museum Quarter, which is not only cheaper, but in my opinion, was near more attractions and closer to Leidseplein, which is the best area in Amsterdam for restaurants, nightlife and shopping.

Room Tip: There are no elevators--dragging your suitcase up three flights of stairs can be a challenge!
1  Thank cbattsolutions
Gerstekorrel_De, Front Office Manager at Hotel De Gerstekorrel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Dear Ms. Peachrayz:
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of our hotel and thank you for your compliments regarding our knowledgeable staff, very central location and competitive pricing. Our room and bathroom sizes are typical for what one would find in such a central location in a 2 star hotel in the heart of the center of Amsterdam.
We, the staff at the hotel clearly remember your case of the missing t-shirt and considerate it an unfortunate incident indeed. We are proud of our housekeeping personnel, as they are carefully screened and trained professionals. We have not had issues with theft or with items disappearing from rooms. All items left by a guest or found in the hotel are recorded and tracked on our hotel software system and kept in lost & found for quite a long period of time. This gives our guests ample time to contact us and reclaim the item. The morning after you made the inquiry regarding your t-shirt to our reception we had the housekeepers do a thorough search of all outgoing laundry but unfortunately, the t-shirt did not turn up. Possibly we did not do a good enough job at communicating to you how concerned we were or how thoroughly we searched, hence your feeling that your loss “fell on deaf ears” and for that we do apologize.
Though we understand that you like the Leidseplein area, should you decide to stay in the Dam Square area again we would be happy to welcome you back to the hotel!
Best regards,

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I have stayed in several small hotels in Amsterdam city, and this was the best one so far. Number one point is the location. Number two is the no smoking rule and I never smelled any type of smoking during my 4 nights stay. And the third point is the super friendly and helpful service in the reception. And to all Finnish travellers : "Täällä puhutaan myös suomea, mahtava etu !! " We had no problem that there was no breakfast room. There are so may nice cafeterias all around and we enjoyed every morning a great breakfast in different cafeterias. That was a nice program for every I was recommended this hotel by a friend and I was so happy for that. I will definitely come back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: we had a room in the third floor and no noise from outside came to the room.
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Superb location close to the Damrak this is a simple hotel for a budget price. My room was small but fine with good shower and comfy bed. Free WiFi which worked. On the 2nd Floor so a bit of a steep climb up the stairs (no lift). The hotel has no facilities other than the reception and the bedroom though they will do you breakfast on a tray. Staff were helpful and polite.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Booked 3 nights at the Hotel de Gerstekorrel, has to be said that the location is excellent. Polite American lady at reception & pretty easy to find. As a lot of people have mentioned we were charged tax upon checking in and yes a room deposit as well.
Food places are every where (usually open till 4am) & all the hot spots are walking distance. We stated in a room which over looked the street (room 32) so it did get very noisy & hot (no air con) at times which did make sleeping awkward.
Downside of the trip we discovered that we were sharing a room with a mouse!! We called reception who offered to move us (which we did) but this point alone I would not recommend this hotel just by the fact that it’s probably a rat, the unhygienic thought of it and the thought of it running across the room at night or when we were out is enough to make me not return.

After complaining the next day upon checkout I did get a refund for the night, but again I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Gerstekorrel_De, Manager at Hotel De Gerstekorrel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Dear Madam,
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you fined the location exellent and the staff friendly.
Regarding the mouse in the room we are obviously really sorry and of course it should have not happened. Since the hotel is located in the old city center it is very unfortunate that sometimes the mice start to move around in the center and sometimes they even try to come inside. To avoid all pests we have a company who comes here regularly to check the premises.

I also hope that you would have informed the receptionist during your stay in case of any problems in cleaning. We are doing our best to keep the rooms clean and the customer satisfaction is very important to us. That is why we do have lot's of regular customers who come to visit us when they come to Amsterdam.

I hope that the refund you received from us would also give you the reason and trust to come to visit us again.

With best regards, the management

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Do not believe their website a second!! This place would have been OK for my 18 year old son bag-backing and stopping in Amsterdam for a night or two. Our Medical conference at the RAI center recommended this terrible place for us at 150 euros a night... unbelievable!! I would have may be paid $80 for such a place but no more. Four floors, no elevator and extremely stiff to not say dangerous stair cases. The day before the check-out, we've been told that the check-out time was 10:30am... that was the icing on the cake!!! I've been traveling everywhere in the world and have never see this... why not 8am!!
The good news is that I'm a good sleeper, otherwise do not forget your ear plugs... The location being more than animated and the building windows having no insolation of any sort...
No breakfast room, you must have your breakfast in your room, no choice... Not talking about the breakfast itself. No choice, a slice of Dutch cheese and a piece of bread visible heated-up in a microwave.
But the worst is probably the cleanness of the place. I took a few pictures that I attached to this review.
Finally the Internet is Free, hopefully free because extremely lousy!!!
AVOID THIS PLACE!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Bruno620207

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review.

I am really sorry that you did not like your stay by us. The customer satisfaction is very important to us and we try to do our best to satisfy all the needs of our clients.

We are located in the city center and like in all the hotels in the center it can be noicy. However we also have some rooms on the backside and perhaps we could have moved you there. Did you mention about the noice at the reception?
For the breakfast we have three choices and indeed we do serve it up to the room, which make lot of our clients very happy. You mentioned that the bread is heated up in the micro but we actually bake it here.
The size of the room is actually very normal size of a two star hotel in Amsterdam city center but I don't know actually if the rooms are much bigger in four - or five star hotels in Amsterdam.
All the two star hotels in Amsterdam are actually without an elevator.

Regarding the cleaning I hope that you would have mentioned about it during your stay. We clean the rooms daily and if there are any problems or requests, we of course coem to clean again.
Hotel wants to provide the customers extra pillows and blankets, but of course to provide more space in the room, we can move those extras.

Like I said the customer satisfaction is very important to us and we do our best to meet the wishes that our clients have. Even being a two star, we are very much liked among to our business clients as well.
I hope that we would be able to accommodate you again in our hotel and hopefully then your stay would be much more pleasant.

With best regards, the management

Reviewed 22 May 2013

It was an ok hotel. Well placed in central Amsterdam, not far from the main station. My only gripe was being asked to pay a 50 euro deposit for my room. No mention of this at the time of booking so if you don't have the 50 euros, you're in trouble. That's a rotten way to do business.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Excellent location for all main attractions. Hotel basic & clean but room very small and as we were on 3rd floor with no lift the steep stairs were a bit of a challenge. Reception staff were very helpful and would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple