“Much better than I expected” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Blyss

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Blyss
Ranked #323 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Tampa, Florida
“Much better than I expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Don't be misled by my overall rating. This is at best a 2.5-star hotel. However, it was a very good property considering what it is.

I led a group of 14 university students who spent 5 nights at the Blyss. Before the trip, many of the students had read reviews on Tripadvisor and had serious concerns about staying there. Those fears were unfounded. We were scattered throughout the hotel--I was in Room 22--and I heard no serious complaints from anyone.

I wonder if the people who have written the seriously negative reviews have stayed at other hotels in Amsterdam? If not, they may not be able to put their experiences at the Blyss into persective.

The location is excellent. It's just off Overtoom Straat, with easy access to Tram line #1. There are many eateries and a Starbucks close by. It's also a short walk to Leidseplein.

The hotel itself is solid. My room had a double bed with a desk and fridge. As far as rooms in Amsterdam go, it was large. It wasn't as large as my room when I stayed at the Asterisk in 2012, but there was still plenty of space. There was some noise from the hallway and the neighboring room, but I anticipate that at any hotel. That's why I always travel with earplugs. Any noise there was in the hotel did not interfere with my ability to sleep at night. The linens were not luxurious, but they were clean, and housekeeping did a good job each day. The bathroom in the room was basic, but I did not experience any of the mold or smells that other reviewers mentioned. Also, the wifi was very good. It was not ultra high speed, but it accommodated FaceTime calls.

The breakfast was the typical Amsterdam hotel breakfast: bread, cheese, meats, boiled eggs, cereal, apples, canned fruit, and a few other items. Having stayed at a few Amsterdam hotels, I don't understand why some reviewers complained about it. My only complaint about breakfast would be that it starts late: 7:30 on weekdays and 8:00 on weekends.

I also don't understand the complaints about the service. Everyone I encountered was pleasant. Having found service in general in Amsterdam to be indifferent, I would attribute some of the negative comments about service to be from people who are not accustomed to service in Amsterdam. (I stayed at the Hotel Pulitzer in late 2008, and the people at the front desk of the Blyss were just as friendly and accommodating as those at the Pulitzer.)

I gave the Blyss the 4/5 rating, because that's what I gave the Hotel Asterisk in 2012. These are both basic hotels that are very good at what they do. I would suggest that potential guests not be put off by the negative reviews or have unreasonable expectations

Room Tip: Room 22 is a nice room that looks out the back.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Bedford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We recently booked for 3 nights, we were attending an event at Melkweg so the only thing to the hotels advantage was the proximity to the venue. The drain in our bathroom smelled so bad! The room wasn't vacuumed for the duration of our stay and the litter bins weren't emptied. There were no tea or coffee making facilities in the room and the wallpaper was starting to peel. The small shelf attached to the hand basin was only attached on one side. For the cost I feel that this was very overpriced rubbish. The rooms had no soundproofing and we could hear our next door neighbour with hiccups in the early hours! I had to ask for an extra pillow and the duvet was smaller than the duvet cover. All in all very disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank trisha_r

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Amsterdam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

When we booked to stay here we were asked for our credit details as a guarantee for reservation of the rooms. We were told no money would be taken off our cards. Later that day over £900 was stolen from my friends account to buy flights to Dubai and meals in Amsterdam. £30 was taken from my account and I was told it was as a deposit for the room I later found out that this was used to buy food in Amsterdam. The hotel staff were not very helpful in dealing with the accusation of fraud and I was told to dispute it with my bank on return home. In the end I didn't know who to trust therefore I will not be returning to the bless hotel

1 Thank Paul J
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Avoid this Hotel Blyss as much as you can. Only the location is good: non-professional service, uncomfortable bed, small room, lots of noise, poor cleanliness... This hotel requires a huge sense of humour ;)

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank JoaoRomao
Kent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

There was two receptionists that were very nice and friendly one was from Romania, that was great but to the rooms, we stayed in a double room, the carpet had bits of the ceiling after it had been cleaned the window would not stay open the shower room had mold in the corner and one of the so called fresh bed sheet had what looked like Doritos dust so did the cleaner have a munch? The decor was ok but had the same theme throughout the hotel.
The power went off 3 times but was restored quickly by the beutiful Romanian receptionist. We stayed in room 202
I wouldn't say avoid this hotel but use it to sleep and that's it, it is close to one of the liveliest squares.

• Stayed April 2014
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

''the worst hotel''.. I have even seen in my life.. advising you to stay away! Had a reservation in advance but room was given from the basement floor! Rooms were extremely small and bathroom was not pleasant either. Requested for change, the requisition was denied. Chinese guy at reception seems does not understand english, looks as blanck! barely gives information!! Room was cold, cold air comes through the windows.. (had to cover my self with the bathroom towels during my sleep).. Ohh! they require you to pay all room charges as cash! otherwise they apply 5% surcharge. Worst place to pick up!! FYI..

Room Tip: Saty away from this hotel !!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Peace H
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Booked this hotel as a British Airways package, and pretty surprised they partner with such a terrible hotel. Where do I start? Dirty and old sheets, sink falling off wall, windows that open onto walls, scary and dangerous security were all features of my stay at Hotel Blyss. Even the name is a big disappointment, because there is no bliss there. If you are a backpacker and looking for a cheap crash pad bed in Amsterdam then fine but this hotel is certainly not up to the quality I would expect with booking a holiday through British Airways.

Room Tip: If you must stay there, avoid the "tower" rooms which are not much more than a hovel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo