“excellent”

Quentin England Hotel
Ranked #333 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We traveled with my husband and we liked the hotel very much - it was clean, very convenient to go around in the town. The location is really perfect. At the same time the place is quiet and we could rest after walking around all day long. We got what we paid!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights over new years eve. The hotel was clean and the receptionist was very friendly and helpful.

Went with a group of friends for 2 nights. My partner and I got upgraded to a normal double room on the first floor so we could be on the same floor as our friends. The room was large enough and clean although I agree with other reviewers that the rooms/hotel need a complete makeover. Part of the carpet was missing in our room and the radiator wasn't working properly. The walls are also very thin! This wasn't a problem though as we were in Amsterdam for NYE and only used to hotel to shower and sleep.
The location of the hotel is very good. Only a 5 minute walk to the leidseplein and about 10 minutes from there on the tram to dam square.
Would recommend this hotel for a short stay. Just don't expect luxury!!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This hotel is convenient, clean, comfortable and congenial. However, noise travels well in the building and unless you use ear plugs you will be awakened by the sounds of the early morning cleaning crew, especially it you are on the first floor, near the linen storage area. If the room's window is open you are likely to hear conversations from the outside patio area. All this contributes to a low rating for sleep quality.
The 10 Euro charge for breakfast is outrageous for juice, dry cereal, meat or cheese, bread or buns, coffee or tea.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I travelled with my boyfriend for 3 nights in April. (Age 23/26)

We were expecting the worst after reading all the bad reviews on this website HOWEVER.....

We were very pleased with the hotel! You get what you pay for, room was worn but was clean and spacious. It was perfect for a nights sleep after being out in Amsterdam!

The location was fantastic! 5 mins away from Leidseplein, about 15 from Dam Square.

Staff were very helpful and friendly.

Take the bad reviews with a pinch of salt.. If you're going to be fussy about where you stay then just go to the Mariott!!!

We would definitely stay here again!

Tip: if you like steak try one of the Rancho steak houses, gorgeous food!

Room Tip: We had room 2, bottom floor behind reception. Nice room!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed here alone in March 2012. My expectations were really low due to reviews. There were lots of complaints about crappy, tiny rooms with small or no windows at all and unfriendly staff. I wondered if I had come to a different hotel..
I payed about 20-30 euros per night, and I think I got really acceptable value for the money. The reception, breakfast room and my room were neat. They gave me a double room, although I was traveling alone. It was more spacious than e.g. Finnish double rooms tend to be. Ok, there were some moldy spots on the roof of the bathroom, but they didn't bother me as otherwise I was happy with the room, and I didn't stay very long. There were also a pretty painting and beautifully framed, big mirror in the room. The view was to the backyard.
Soundproof was pretty bad, that was a bit of a problem as the room was in the ground floor. They cleaned every day, brought clean towels etc.

The staff were really friendly, young and perky. They didn't allow my friend to come to the room, but the reason was very understandable. Otherwise they were hospitable, my friend got to use the Internet and so on.

Breakfast was okay, similar stuff I'd have at home. The breakfast room was peaceful, not very many other guests there. I was surprised that there were so many elder people at that time. (My friend stayed in another hotel and it was full of very young people.)

Location is good, the area looks very wealthy and neat. Museums and shopping streets are close. For a budget meal we had to walk a bit further. I felt safe when I walked back to the hotel at night. The bus to the airport stops nearby, next to the Rijksmuseum :).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mirva H
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I thought for the amount of money I paid for this room (granted, it was a busy time of year) I would get more than a tiny closet in the basement of the building. Not even a window to look out of. Breakfast not included in the price of the room either. Staff were okay. The room itself was clean-ish and warm. Appreciated the many options of English TV.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo